I Wish I Knew If Histogen Was Going To Be Useful?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am desperate to improve my aesthetics, as many of you know. There are obvious things for me to do, but sometimes I get sidetracked or told to get lost or overanalyzed things, I finally booked an overdue appointment with an orthodontist today, for example, so in 6-12 months I might have properly aligned teeth that are hopefully white as well.

The conservative cost of a hair transplant is about ~US$ 10,000 once one includes plane tickets + hotel. It will probably improve my looks somewhat, what's the financial value of going from NW2.5 to NW1.5 for me? Is it worth the opportunity cost where that money would be spent on other things? Who the f*** knows, I'm not expecting anybody to have an accurate answer.

I know that my own hair would be better than transplanted hair for a variety of reasons. Perhaps Histogen will be available in 1 year in Mexico for only ~US$ 2,000, so with three trips and three sets of hotels, maybe ~ US $4,000. Will it work?

NO IDEA.

All we have from them, as far as I can tell, are some misleading pictures. It might be great to regenerate the hair that's not transplanted, for maintenance in addition to the transplant. It might end up regrowing hair in the transplanted area, causing that hairline to be doubly-hairy and stupid. It might be a cure. It might give me 5% regrowth. NO IDEA.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Reminder: the most dumbfounding hair regeneration photo ever:

Histogen-HSC-treatment-at-24-weeks-right-1-1.jpg

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am desperate to improve my aesthetics, as many of you know. There are obvious things for me to do, but sometimes I get sidetracked or told to get lost or overanalyzed things, I finally booked an overdue appointment with an orthodontist today, for example, so in 6-12 months I might have properly aligned teeth that are hopefully white as well.

The conservative cost of a hair transplant is about ~US$ 10,000 once one includes plane tickets + hotel. It will probably improve my looks somewhat, what's the financial value of going from NW2.5 to NW1.5 for me? Is it worth the opportunity cost where that money would be spent on other things? Who the f*** knows, I'm not expecting anybody to have an accurate answer.

I know that my own hair would be better than transplanted hair for a variety of reasons. Perhaps Histogen will be available in 1 year in Mexico for only ~US$ 2,000, so with three trips and three sets of hotels, maybe ~ US $4,000. Will it work?

NO IDEA.

All we have from them, as far as I can tell, are some misleading pictures. It might be great to regenerate the hair that's not transplanted, for maintenance in addition to the transplant. It might end up regrowing hair in the transplanted area, causing that hairline to be doubly-hairy and stupid. It might be a cure. It might give me 5% regrowth. NO IDEA.
NO IDEA, in the same boat buddy.

but i don't think you need transplant right now. Wait until you are NW3+ because the transplanted hair won't jibe well with the normal hair and may look unnatural.

When you will hit the NW3 mark, we will know a lot about Tsuji, replicel, and this histymaniac. Then, you can decide what to do.

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
There's only one real issue with hair transplants and that is they may compromise future treatments. If it wasn't for that, sure, they'd be a no-brainer. But the finality of it is just way too big a risk for me.

It's insane though how every single "treatment" currently available has one fatal flaw. It really is a sick cosmic joke.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's only one real issue with hair transplants and that is they may compromise future treatments. If it wasn't for that, sure, they'd be a no-brainer. But the finality of it is just way too big a risk for me.

It's insane though how every single "treatment" currently available has one fatal flaw. It really is a sick cosmic joke.

Some of them have multiple flaws.

GotHair?

Established Member
Reaction score
Histogen had good results on paper. Their Phase 1/2 results had like over 30% hair count increase. However then the pictures came and it is tough to decide whether they are showing the real state of the matter or not. Really can't tell. Big question mark on them...

Pablo234

Reaction score
Exactly the same boat as you OP. I started a thread along similar lines a week or so back, just trying to get heads together to come up with as logical as possible ideas for our future game plans. It's almost more frustrating as it is encouraging knowing about these future treatments in the pipeline, because right now we have no evidence of what results we are likely to get from them - its sheer speculation. Even if histogen does come out in mexico next year, i'd feel much more comfortable going for the injections knowing that the products been around for years, and is a guaranteed success in helping regrow hair. That being said, id still be on a plane to Mexico if it is released next year, lol.

As much as a fan I am of transplants, personally i view them as a bit of a last ditch option. I'd much prefer to invest in treatments such as histogen to help naturally re-grow my hair.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score

really? so did we already achieve consensus on this? or are we still speculating, while waiting?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP if you don't mind me asking, are you on finasteride or any other conventional big 3 treatment?

Minoxidil, nizoral, and I use RU instead of finasteride due to concerns with side effects.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
There are more than just that one. Firstly, it could go bad, or simply not good enough, in which case you look worse than you did before it, or not much better. Second, there's downtime - you have to take a week off from life, and then spend the next six months explaining why your head looks like a strawberry.

It's a really risky procedure IMO, and I would only consider it if I were a high Norwood and there were no potential alternatives on the near (5 years > ) horizon. Honestly, I'd rather wear a wig, because at least that's reversible and, if good, can be transformative.
wig reversible? try wearing a wig for 1 year or so, and then check the status of your scalp. even transplants sometimes fail on a scalp used to wear wigs. can you imagine tsuji, replicel,etc.?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't get a hair transplant for at least another couple of years. First, there a lot of protocols in the pipeline that will either succeed or fail within the next two years. Second, there is tremendous risk in transplants. Finally, even if all of the in-development treatments fail, in three years robotic transplants will rival manual transplants with fewer risks.

I agree with this for most people (not all) considering a hair transplant because its already 3/17...so we are talking getting to 2018 to 'know' more information on these treatments (brotzu, histogen, follicer) IF nothing is panning out by 2018 then i would rule them out because at a certain point you have to move on if you can benefit from a hair transplant.

I do think its case by case though. I think even if these treatments help with hair loss I suspect a hair transplant would be more beneficial for some people.

none of them are cure or are they pretending to be.

I have seen @David_MPN hair and i think (I'm not an expert) he can afford to wait at least a year. He has seen some gains with his regimen if i am not mistaken.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
wig reversible? try wearing a wig for 1 year or so, and then check the status of your scalp. even transplants sometimes fail on a scalp used to wear wigs. can you imagine tsuji, replicel,etc.?

Off-topic but is this true? How would a hair system negatively alter the scalp in such a way that a transplant would yield poor results because of it?

I know a bit about medication and transplants but close to nothing about hair systems. I know they're not a solution but they're still an option. And more options are always good. It would be sad to lose yet another option.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

You're probably right. But without Histogen, it's the only hope we have. At least for now it is.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
Giiizmosurgeon 1445815 said:
Off-topic but is this true? How would a hair system negatively alter the scalp in such a way that a transplant would yield poor results because of it?

I know a bit about medication and transplants but close to nothing about hair systems. I know they're not a solution but they're still an option. And more options are always good. It would be sad to lose yet another option.
afaik many top surgeons refuse to do procedures on long term wig users due to the poor yield.

btw, no direct experience with wigs, but with hair transplants.
a good transplant can save your life, a bad one will destroy it. i had both types.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see Histogen hitting the market until 2022...

But to be honest, I don't see Histogen hitting the market at all...

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score

I've never heard about this. Can you tell me more? I mean, I get that the scalp gets affected by the wig long term but skin should also get back to normal with a break from wearing one.

Pablo234

Reaction score
There are more than just that one. Firstly, it could go bad, or simply not good enough, in which case you look worse than you did before it, or not much better. Second, there's downtime - you have to take a week off from life, and then spend the next six months explaining why your head looks like a strawberry.

It's a really risky procedure IMO, and I would only consider it if I were a high Norwood and there were no potential alternatives on the near (5 years > ) horizon. Honestly, I'd rather wear a wig, because at least that's reversible and, if good, can be transformative.

Hi Occulus, sheerly out of interest,and to help with my understanding in this division, could you give me a brief summary of why you view hair transplants in this way? And also of how they could potentially affect future treatments?
Thanks