I Want To Run Like The Wind...

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
haha, I'm looking for advice from all the runners/joggers out there. I'm in pretty good aerobic shape but I just seem to have trouble running. I've started running again recently with the nice weather but I get tired quickly, a bit out of breath and my knees start to hurt me. Oh, I'm only 21 btw. Can anyone offer advice/tips to get started? Thanks! :)

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I'm a fair weather runner same as you, only I started up again in March, waiting till June sounds a bit lazy, even to me :p . Anyway, first few runs will hurt, absolutely kills my hips, quads and calves (not of the bovine variety), but you should recover faster with each successive run. If your knees are really bad you might need a new/better pair of shoes to help absorb the impact - especially if you're pounding the streets like me.

I've no idea how far, or at what pace, you're jogging but a good, relaxed posture and not shallow breathing are essential for any distance. I've also found that whenever an attractive woman comes into sight I can conjure up an extra burst of energy, in a sort of "quick, look how athletic I am" piece of vanity. Sad, but true - and only helpful if she's conveniently near to the end of my run.

Slarti

oni

Reaction score
Get a rebounder (very small trampoline) it helps me and I sometimes have to do a lot of running in my job. :) try using it every day.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Make yourself a running mix tape/MD/MP3. It helps to take the mind off of your agonising pain and makes running seem like fun! My favourite was always the William Orbit remix of Barber's Adagio on a G string. That or Clubbed to Death by Rob D - the robot noises really helped - I was able to convince my complaining body to an extent that my limbs were in fact robotic and therefore my feeling pain was illogical.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I had a situation similar to yours. When I first started up again, the day after my knees were killing me. I thought I did some damage to them!

After a little rest, they felt better, and then I re-started my running again but this time made sure to ramp up my distance slowly. I suppose my knees just had to get used to it again? Maybe the ligaments or tendons just weren't accustomed to the abrupt increase in strain?

Nevertheless, I am now doing 2 to 3 miles a day easily, no knee problems whatsoever.

I agree with the advice above, music really helps! My MP3 player really revolutionized my runs, it helps pass the time factor, and if you choose your soundtrack well, it can inspire you a bit too. For a while I had the theme song from Rocky on my playlist, that got me moving!

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Nevertheless, I am now doing 2 to 3 miles a day easily, no knee problems whatsoever.
Oh come on, in what sort of time? I need to know whether to gloat or lie.

The Gardener

Reaction score
20-30 minutes

It's not the mileage claim, but rather the "every day" claim that has the most opportunity for bluff callage! :lol:

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and yes, music really does help! It just gets annoying having to carry my MP3 player in my left hand and my car keys in my right hand.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Ahh, fanny. That's another of those words which undergoes a fundamental shift in meaning when you cross the Atlantic.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Ha! I just looked that one up, and it is not just a fundamental shift but a complete 180 degree difference.

The American term 'fanny pack' must get quite a few chuckles over there.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
The odd US show I've seen where a guy might say, eg "in the rush I forgot to put my pants on..." always has me imagining a bottom-half naked bloke pegging it down the street, hiding in an apartment, etc.

Now then, if I meet an American woman you're assuring me that I can chat freely about her fanny pack without getting a knee in the groin?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Sure, as long as she is wearing one she will have no idea. Even I was surprised by the British usage of the word. Here, it is a very non-derogatory and playfully innocent way to refer to one's ***. In fact, 'fanny' is very often used in lieu of the word '***' to describe that body part in a clean way.. for instance, a school teacher here could tell her young children in class that they need to be quiet and sit down on their fanny and nobody would blink an eye whereas if she said 'sit on your ***' she'd be terminated.

Mind you, if the woman you comment to is not wearing a fanny pack, she'll think you are commenting on her ***... and saying someone has a nice 'fanny PACK' would probably be interpreted as her being fat.

And the woman's response to that needs no translation...

:freaked2:

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Useful info. but leaves me wondering how to get a schoolboy giggle out of fanny pack. Statistically unlikely she'll be wearing one anyway, obviously not a good idea to comment on a woman's weight (even in a playful/jokey manner), and even commenting on her *** (by saying fanny) might earn me a slap - especially if I lead into it by landing a nice crisp smack on her (hopefully) pert derriere.

Whilst we're on linguistics: why do you call a tap a faucet if what comes out of it is still called tap water?

Slarti

The Gardener

Reaction score
Good question... We use the term 'tap', but only if beer comes out of it. If you tell someone you have a tap at your house, they will assume you have a keg of beer at home. Go figure?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Must be more careful crossing roads whilst out running - I almost got taken out by a speeding cyclist this morning.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
And there I was, jogging down the street, when what should come into view but one of the finest pieces of *** I've ever seen. Mmmm... What a way to start the day. :D