I Think I Maybe Balding...can Anything Help This?

jasinfla

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I haven't posted in a while but I just took this picture with high light and I've always had a cowlick on the side and my wife thinks I'm crazy and says that she doesn't see anything but if you don't mind me asking, what do you think? Can anything be used to help this or is this a lost cause? I currently don't take anything and I'm 44.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• Photo on 2-8-19 at 12.59 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2-8-19 at 12.59 PM #2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 186

Losingitsince14

My Regimen
Reaction score
The fact that you're only noticing hair loss at 44 is a good sign that your hair loss is not very aggressive and you should respond well to treatment if you choose to take that route. It looks like the beginning of male pattern baldness to me, but I think it is always best to check with a dermatologist who is a professional and can assess your hair in person. By the way, what does your hairline look like when your hair is pulled back. Generally male pattern baldness starts with some miniaturization at the hairline before the crown even if it is only slight recession. I suspect you have a similar pattern to me and you wear your hair at the same length. This is why I didn't notice my hair loss until the crown became a little thin. Regardless, the bottom line is that you should see and doctor and if it is male pattern baldness then you probably caught it early enough to at least keep everything you have and maybe even thicken it up a bit too. Good luck.

jasinfla

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response. My hairline is actually good. Can I ask you, have you started anything like finasteride or rogaine to help with your crown (if you have crown thinning)? My hair is actually kind of long at the moment and I've always had cowlick issues but yeah seeing this was like a shock. If I would take something after seeing a dermatologist, do you think this would fill in or is this pretty much a lost cause? I'm actually scared to take either one of them because I heard that the shedding stage can be a nightmare or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about lol. Thank you once again.

Losingitsince14

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response. My hairline is actually good. Can I ask you, have you started anything like finasteride or rogaine to help with your crown (if you have crown thinning)? My hair is actually kind of long at the moment and I've always had cowlick issues but yeah seeing this was like a shock. If I would take something after seeing a dermatologist, do you think this would fill in or is this pretty much a lost cause? I'm actually scared to take either one of them because I heard that the shedding stage can be a nightmare or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about lol. Thank you once again.
No problem, I actually started using rogaine foam at 17 and finasteride at 18 and I do not think my hair has filled in that much, but the surrounding hair is thicker(21 going on 22 now). The thing is that thinning is usually not visible until you have lost around 50% density in an area so if you have lost, lets say 25% it might seem like nothing, but those hairs need protection before it becomes an issue. Rogaine is hit or miss and I do not think I am much of a responder to it, but I use it because I don't know if it plays a role in my hair maintenance. Some people who are good responders to rogaine do see fantastic regrowth though and it does tend to work best on the crown. But, a lot of people who see regrowth do say they experienced a shed and it might get worse for a couple of months before it is better in the long run. With finasteride on the other hand, you are not likely to see a lot of regrowth in areas where there is not hair, but it is great at maintaining hair and I personally never experienced a shed, but some others might have. To be honest your hair still looks good, and I am not even very sure you are experiencing hair loss. And if you are, I think taking finasteride would stop any loss in its tracks and maybe even fill in what little loss you have by thickening the surrounding hair. Don't wait though, see a doctor as soon as you can and assess the situation while you are still in the driver's seat. It is so much easier to maintain what you have and protect hairs that are early in the miniaturization process compared to trying to get hair back after it's gone.