I Stopped Dutasteride And Started Using Minoxidil

Croney

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was taking dutasteride for nearly 10 years and I don't have noticeable hair loss, I used to take weekly twice. Now I stopped taking dutastride for the past 4 months and for the past 6 months I am applying minoxidil 5 percentage on my scalp, I can't see any positive results from minoxidil till now, is it because I am not using dutastride last 4 months? Shall I continue like this or do I need to start taking dutastride again? I need a good advice, thanks

Last edited:

JeToker

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why did you stop using Dutasteride if I may ask?
The main and likely result of Dutasteride is maintenance, so preventing you losing anymore hair. From what you've said it looks like it was achieving that for you.

Minoxidil is much less likely, as far as my understanding goes, to provide you with better results, especially on it's own. Taking both together might yield regrowth.

Croney

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you jeToker for your quick reply. I stopped dutastride because of its high cost and I thought I am consuming just two 0.5 mg tablets a week, some one who consulted with a doctor told me that I have to take. 0.5 mg tablets daily to make it effective, so I thought I am just consuming without any effect and I started applying minoxidil to gain some volume

Croney

My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought dutastride today, I am gonna restart,(gonna take twice weekly, as I used to take ) but I don't know what will happen after a break of more than 3 months..

JeToker

My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought dutastride today, I am gonna restart,(gonna take twice weekly, as I used to take ) but I don't know what will happen after a break of more than 3 months..

It's unlikely the 3 months will hurt you. Again remember, duta's most likely outcome is to maintain your hair so that you don't lose anymore, it's very reliable at achieving that. Also, according to some, you do not need to take it every single day to achieve maintenance, around 3 times a week should be good. However, this I'm less sure of and is up to you. It's seems though that you were taking 2 a week and achieving maintenance, no?

It seems like less than one a day should do the job imo, because it has a half life in your system, where it sits in your tissues inhibiting DHT conversion. Even 1 a week would have some effect on DHT levels, just perhaps not enough to hold back the balding.

The post that was linked seems like some good, sobering info imo. Although we would all like to see regrowth of our lost hair and see that as the goal, ultimately it could be a lot worse for many of us if we lost even more. So we can't have a miracle and get all our hair back with a pill, but maintaining what we have is pretty good. Set your expectations at keeping what you have, stick with the pill unless you're happy to lose your hair or you absolutely cannot keep it up because of sides or money, but don't kid yourself, the most effective path for hair loss at the moment is finasteride/dutasteride.

Croney

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi jeToker, what I felt minoxidil will fix the thin follicle if it happened due to the 3 months break of dutasteride and if I continue dutasteride after the break it will continue its job of maintaining. What I have learned about minoxidil is that it can regrow lost hair, and it don't seem that I lost my hair during the break, what happened was during the 4th month on minoxidil it seems that I have grown some hair, during that time I was on dutasteride too.but what I feel that I have lost that volume triggered by minoxidil use.
One thing I am pretty sure that minoxidil is working on my beard and eyebrows

JeToker

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi jeToker, what I felt minoxidil will fix the thin follicle if it happened due to the 3 months break of dutasteride and if I continue dutasteride after the break it will continue its job of maintaining. What I have learned about minoxidil is that it can regrow lost hair, and it don't seem that I lost my hair during the break, what happened was during the 4th month on minoxidil it seems that I have grown some hair, during that time I was on dutasteride too.but what I feel that I have lost that volume triggered by minoxidil use.
One thing I am pretty sure that minoxidil is working on my beard and eyebrows

That's great. For sure some people respond to minoxidil in this way. I would advise you take both though.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
The other question you should think about is if you should quit minoxidil now, as people report sheds when it happened. However, since I dont think minoxidil had too much effect on your hair anyway, perhaps nothing will happen.

Croney

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts, I will update the results