I Shaved My Head To A 0.5 Guard On December 21st

LastSamurai

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

it's been a while since I posted.

For a few of you who remember, I had been threatening to shave / buzz my head down for a while. I finally pulled the plug on the date mentioned in the title.

So it's been 6-7 weeks. It feels like a lot longer to be honest, kind of crazy how time works.

I could probably ramble for hours on this but I'll try and not to be too verbose.

Suffice to say, I'm glad I did it. The early days were hard yet good at the same time. Overall I liked the look, and reception among family and friends was very positive. Yet at the same time, the first week or two was tough, it took me a while to accept the look and get used to it. Looking back it's been quite a confidence enhancing ride, going from my family members seeing it, one by one, to going back to work after Christmas and getting ready for a reception. Again, the work reaction was surprisingly positive. If anything I enjoyed the conversation starter element of it.

I was suprised by one thing. My hairloss actually became more visable to others after I buzzed it! Even though I could see my lack of density before I buzzed, I don't think others truly noticed. It was only when I buzzzed that you could really see the recession coming into the middle of my skull, with the half circle forming, and the island on the top of my head kind of neatly seperated from my remaining crown hair.

That was probably the hardest part for me, it looked strange seeing the dense hairs at the top circle then a clear line and then the crown hair. Ultimately, although I was happy with the look, I realised that my previous grown out on top with short sides look wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be. Sometimes you just need to know what the alternative really looks like to make an informed decision.

I had to buzz down to know that I am not quite ready to stay buzzed. I still feel I have a few more years left of keeping some length on my top before going completely buzzed. For me, I realised that some hair is often better then having nothing there. Ironically I suspect once my island at the front starts to disappear it won't look so strange to have a little black circle there. Until that island goes I think I just need to keep it short ish for the time being.

My advice is to go for it if you are thinking of buzzing, it may not be the ideal solution for you going forward but at least you will have a reference point going forward for how it looks. That way you can decide between the buzzed down look or what you had before to see which suits you better. In addition, when it does inevitably come to the point where you need to buzz down again, you know what to expect, and it won't be such a shock. So you are kind of preparing yourself and the second time around you will be way more confident.

Just be prepared for it to take a long time to grow back. I would say however that my hair has grown back well now (length on top about no.3) so in another 6 weeks or so it will be no.6+ and back to styling it again. So it's not crazy long, it kind of accelerates if anything. But the first 4 weeks or so feel quite stark. From now on it just looks like I have my hair short but you wouldn't know I buzzed it so low only 6 weeks ago.

All in all a great experiment. Will be interesting to see how I deal with growing it out again - that has its own frustrations, but hopefully this time I can be more balanced in my viewpoint given I know how the alternative looks. Ultimately it looked good but like I say, I didn't like the fact the hairloss seemed more noticible. I also had the feeling straight away that it was going to take a long time to grow back, so I wasn't confident in keeping it down. I think once you start shaving it or buzzing it continually, you kind of need to be ready to give up your hair for the long term, and it's only really easy to do that when you have no hair left on the front / top of your head anyway.

But just my two cents on the experience. Maybe I'n lucky but the reception was extremely positive. People were kind, inquisitive, and ultimately gave way less of a sh*t then I thought they would.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im sure that if I buzz my head the horseshoe would be noticeable. Id rather not. I would get a wig before "accepting it" and go throught this awkward phase of "family and friends accepting it". Hopefully the dutasteride scalp inyections work so I dont need to go throguht that hell.

meetjoeblack

Established Member
Reaction score
Im sure that if I buzz my head the horseshoe would be noticeable. Id rather not. I would get a wig before "accepting it" and go throught this awkward phase of "family and friends accepting it". Hopefully the dutasteride scalp inyections work so I dont need to go throguht that hell.

My buddy has a horse shoe. He razor blade shaves it. He looks great. Girl's love his shinny bald head.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im going away on vaca in a month. I was debating on shaving and getting a system installed on top (since my sides are always shaved anyway) just as an experiment. I would love to see how I would look with really good hair again. I couldnt come back to work with it because everyone would know right away. Ive got my second FUE consult appointment next week, wish me luck.

LastSamurai

Established Member
Reaction score
I had just written out a decent reply on my update but I wasn't logged properly and lost it all, so here's a shorter version.

The key takeaway for me after 3 months of growing my hair back is that I have a much more 'positive' relationship with my hair / look and recession.

Until you shave and have to grow it back, I think most of us (definitely in my case) take it for granted and compare ourselves to NW1s. Anything that you have always had, like hair, will be taken for granted unless you shave it all off. It's only going on that long journey and having no choice but to be patient during that time period as it grows back that you can really appreciate what you have when it finally does regrow. In other words, you have had to work for it and see the slow development day by day, week by week, month by month.

I'm now grateful to have what I have and savoir these 'golden' years of the mid-norwood stages before the diffusion properly kicks in. For anyone who hasn't shaved but is thinking about giving it a try, I would go for it. I was watching a lot of videos by the youtuber who isn't generally that balding (can't remember his name) but he does a lot of videos on shaving and growing back and I felt he was a useful guy to refer to and gave me a lot of inspiration to keep going.