I realize this is the HM Forum but...

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been to the sides forum and everyone in there is kind of strange, and very extreme so it seems. I had a quick question reguarding propecia, i realize few if any in here are actually doctors, but strictly based on opinion i ask this. I have been taking propecia for about 3 years now, i'm 22 years old and about 2 months ago i got a lump in my chest i had it looked and and the doctor said it's from the propecia. He told me to stay off of it to make sure that was the cause, but i don't want to lose what results i may have obtained during my use. I am planning to have a blood test the end of the month to see what the problem is. As i've been reading about all the sides others have experienced from propecia, and also the possibility of what it may do to my possibilities of kids, i decided to take propecia every other day so that maybe the sides wouldn't have quite as big of an impact. I've heard that DHT levels won't raise to what they are regulary without using propecia for about a week ish. So i ask here because everyone seems to be realistic in this forum and not jump to extremes, so i was wondering is it pretty worthless to take it every other day because it will still be in body, i just won't get the same results, or could that be beneficial in avoiding the extreme sides some may have experienced?

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The answer is: You can really know... propecia has not been tested for every other day use so you dont really know what the results will be. As far as hair growth is concerned i believe you will be able to retain most of the results you have achieved. As far as sides, you might get a small reduction.

If i were you i would try to make sure that this is cause from propecia. Perhaps you could stop it for a while (staying away for a week or two wont do much of a difference) to see if it goes away. If it does, the i would start again with a lower dose. I think it is better than taking the pills e o d. Perhaps you could try 0.5mg/day.

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
Every day or every other day doesn't really matter.

Forget about the half-life of the drug itself. Focus on the amount of time it takes for your body to reverse the effects of it (replace the lost DHT). That figure is gonna be at least several days.

Some people would argue that the body's still reversing from it even many months later in smaller ways. Depends on the person & situation.

I wouldn't actually argue in favor of spacing out Propecia doses very long, but my point is that generally it's not sensistive to short times like hours or a single day. Taking the stuff religiously every single day at the same time isn't so important compared to how much is generally getting into your system on average during any given week. I wouldn't wait 4 days between pills but EOD is fine.

stop more DHT = save more hair = get more side effects.
This basic equasion remains no matter what other factors you monkey around with.

Time of day/week, which drug or seller that's doing the DHT stoppage, etc . . don't bother trying to jump through these kinds of hoops to beat the system. You can't beat it. You just have to find your own personal balance point where you can tolerate the side effects and hair protection you're getting.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the help. Um, i guess in response to the last comment, and to throw this out to anyone's opinion, my brother has been on propecia for 4 years and just barely had a healthy child. I definately see a decrease in the density of my sperm, but what do you guys think, do you think finasteride will make it so weak i won't be able to have kids, and do you suppose it is irreverable?

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
I will say this:

I get the feeling that Finasteride's decrease of the body's DHT doesn't really stop at some finite level and stay there. If finasteride is knocking down the DHT faster than the body can replenish it (which seems to be the case with even small doses of it), then I suspect your body is still being very gradually deprived of more & more DHT over time even when you don't FEEL things getting any worse.

So by this line of thinking, stopping/reducing your finasteride dosage periodically might not be such a bad idea.

Just my opinion. No scientific facts to back this up.