I made the mistake of telling someone.

CCS

Reaction score
Someone showed me his bosley incision and grafts that he just got last night. We got to talking, and I filled him in on what he could expect, and told him I thought a piece is even better. He told me to keep it just between him and me. So I thought he'd keep my piece plans between me and him. Nope. He told my friend. So even though I told him I'll tell him about other treatments and how to get cheap finasteride, I think I'll just forget to contact him now. I'm definitely now going to show him HairLossTalk.com.

As for my other friend, he got upset at me for not telling me about the piece before, and lying about the reason I shaved my head. He said that was a breach of trust. I told him it was none of his business, and if I told him that instead of lying that I just felt like shaving my head, he would have asked other questions or felt offended about that. Now I'm glad I have a month before the piece arrives.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
It's a beech when people don't cooperate!

But I must have missed the memo. Are you getting a piece?

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
There are situations where full disclosure isn't the best policy even with good friends. You just have to use your judgment about who to tell and who not to...I personally think it's better to keep quiet about and make an effort to make it as undetectable and try not be self conscious about it...if you can't pull that off, or just become really comfortable with the idea of wearing a piece than you can be more open about it.

The reality is some (most? even some close friends) friends will occasionally use it against you (gossiping is sort of a passive aggressive act if you think about it- it's only really enjoyable if there's something about a person you don't like). Confiding what you see as a weakness obviously builds trust, but you obviously have to use discretion. I think there's a lot of differences from person to person too...I know there's some friends who would totally not respond well to it (wearing a hairpiece) while others would be a lot more sympathetic. It's nothing to be incredibly embarrassed about just use your judgment...you are creating an illusion, and the full effect is partially ruined by disclosure. Why not try to get as much out of it as possible? Another thing is I think some people just don't grasp that aspect of wearing a piece...don't fully realize it's necessary to keep it private to get the full benefits of it. I think if you do confide in a friend you should make it clear you don't want others to know- if you do you'll tell them yourself. When I start wearing I'll probably only tell family, girlfriends, and maybe 2-3 close friends if I can tell they suspect...it's no one else's business.

Just tell your other friend you felt very self conscious about wearing and didn't have the guts to tell anyone and he'll eventually understand.

CCS

Reaction score
The scary thing is, the best pieces are detectable. They are so good that you just would not notice them if you touched them or saw them up close. But if someone told you it was a piece, and you examined closer, you can tell. If you don't know what to look for it may take longer. But the stuff you would have just dismissed before would count as evidence once you know it is a piece. That is why I don't want people knowing. And women are far less impressed if they know it is not real. It is much better than the best hat out there, to women. But not nearly as good as a head of hair.

My friend got all offended that I tried to hide it from him, even though it is none of his business. He said he won't tell anyone, but was sad I don't trust him and our other friend (not his cousin, who told him in 5 minutes of finding out).

I got a month before I put it on. If he asks when I'll get it, I'll tell him I'm not even sure if I will wear it, which is the truth. I'll tell him I first need to see if the quality is good enough, and that it could be a long while before I decide. Then I'll just have to see if he notices, or how many times he asks me.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
CCS, why didn't you go for a free virtual reality hair make-over and see how you liked it?? They say those are the best and all the hollywood directors use them for their actors.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
CCS, why didn't you go for a free virtual reality hair make-over and see how you liked it?? They say those are the best and all the hollywood directors use them for their actors.

Virtual Reality is a marketing program obtainable to any Replacement Salon willing to "buy" their demographic area. It can be good or bad depending on the practioner that orders and installs it.

"all the hollywood directors use them for their actors" strictly a marketing line of BS. Directors have nothing to do or say with choosing an actors hair or make-up, they have suggestions as to a "look" they desire and other professionals strive to achieve it. Virtual Reality is a marketing line and nothing more.