I Have Used Minoxidil For Nearly 4 Years. Can I Stop Using It?

laungai1993

My Regimen
Reaction score
i started to use minoxidil in July 2012,but my hairloss became worse after 8 months,so i applyed 5mg of finasteride to reduce DHT for 12 months, however ,the result i got was not good.When i felt upset i met a person who had cured his male pattern baldness by using spirolactone for 200mg and estradiol for 2mg, so i started by the same way.And it really works but the side effects are that my skin became smooth and delicate, my muscle was changed to fat ,body became soft,I almost lost sex desire,the body hair became less.I still used Rogaine foam at the same time because i have saw some examples who quitted minoxidil lost the hair they'd got by using minoxidil.But unfortunatly I lost my testicles because of accident. According to some documents i have consulted,I will maintain my hair though I don't want to lost my balls.The question i wanna ask is that can i quit rogaine without lost the hair i got by rogaine after castration with 25mg of CPA to reduce the DHT made by adrenal gland and 1.25mg of premarin? My English is not good, but i really want your suggestions, Thanks very much!

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
I used minoxidil for 8 months, then quit for another 8 months. HUGE mistake. I would advise against it.

laungai1993

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used minoxidil for 8 months, then quit for another 8 months. HUGE mistake. I would advise against it.
Thanks for your advise.
Are you on any other treatment?
I think i have eliminated the cause of male pattern baldness, And the DHT in my body is almost disappeared.Now I quit minoxidil for 10 weeks with dutasteride. 0.5mg every 3 days.cyproterone acetate 25mg a day,and premarin 1.25mg a day after castration(orchiectomy 10 weeks ago).IMO,minoxidil is a medicine which will suppress the symptom without treating the condition. And the result is unstable by a long-term using of minoxidil, and it also has dependence.I think if i stop using it ,my hair follicles are still alive without DHT.But i am not sure because I haven't seen any people is in the same case as me.

Last edited:

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your advise.
Are you on any other treatment?
I think i have eliminated the cause of male pattern baldness, And the DHT in my body is almost disappeared.Now I quit minoxidil for 10 weeks with dutasteride. 0.5mg every 3 days.cyproterone acetate 25mg a day,and premarin 1.25mg a day after castration(orchiectomy 10 weeks ago).IMO,minoxidil is a medicine which will suppress the symptom without treating the condition. And the result is unstable by a long-term using of minoxidil, and it also has dependence.I think if i stop using it ,my hair follicles are still alive without DHT.But i am not sure because I haven't seen any people is in the same case as me.
I thought the same exact thing, as I quit minoxidil about 10 weeks into finasteride, but unfortunately it wasn't true. My entire head shed like crazy, and areas that I applied the minoxidil, and the areas surrounding it were completely thinned out as opposed to having thick, dense hairs.

laungai1993

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought the same exact thing, as I quit minoxidil about 10 weeks into finasteride, but unfortunately it wasn't true. My entire head shed like crazy, and areas that I applied the minoxidil, and the areas surrounding it were completely thinned out as opposed to having thick, dense hairs.
Now you've restarted to use minoxidil?When you felt your hairs began to shed crazily after quit minoxidil? If it is not caused by DHT, the Telogen Effluvium maybe because of losing the power of that minoxidil stimulated follicles. I guess if the follicles are still alive,they can regrow without DHT just as some examples i have heard.just think,will a man without male pattern baldness who used minoxidil shed his hairs after quit minoxidil, or will the people who used oral minoxidil for the treatment of hypertension lose the hairs after quit it?If minoxidil just creates a false impression that our hairs regrow, and it kills the follicles in fact, under the circumstance,we should not use it ,or if we did ,we should quit it the sooner the better to avoid it will kill more follicles.Look forward to your reply,thanks!