I have self prescribed for 2 years - DANGEROUS?

O'rly?

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm nearly 22. I started to thin out when I was 18. At 19, I started to combat my hairloss with generic 5% minoxidil. Shortly after my 20th birthday I started ordering generic propecia online.

At first I cut a 5mg proscar tablet into fifths and took 1mg a day. But after 14months of cutting up proscar tablets. I decided to order strips of 1mg finpecia tablets, which I've been taking for the last 5 months.

I NEVER CONSULTED MY DOCTOR ABOUT MY HAIRLOSS. As a matter of fact I havent been to my doctor in years, relating to anything worse than the common cold. I was and am still embarrassed about my hairloss so I decided to self prescribe generic propecia, buying it online.

Am I risking my health by doing this? I live in Ireland and as far as I know propecia is rarely prescibed here, unless you really push your doctor into prescibing it.

I'm pretty sure if I walked into my doctor and told him I have been taking generic drugs off the internet he'd call me stupid and/or not be aware that this drug is actually prescribed for hairloss.

I'm not sure exactly how long I have been taking generic propecia, I guess its somewhere between 19month and 23months. I dont think I have experienced any side effects tbh, other than watery semen. I dont know if it has helped me either, my hair has definitely thinned and receded a lot more since I started taking it but I have the fear that it is actually maintaining what little hair I have left.

Sorry but this is a bit graphic...

Lately I have had some cramps in my stomach, and sometimes when I sh*t my a**h** actually hurts pushing it out. Feels like I am trying to push something 3 inches wide out of a 1 inch hole. The odd day there is a bit of blood visible when I wipe my ***. Sometimes if I sh*t at 10am I have to go again an hour later, after that I have no urge to go again. Is this something that I should be worried about?

Also at what stage does it reach the point where its no longer worth taking the drug anymore?

Thanks

Mark

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
O'rly? said:
Also at what stage does it reach the point where its no longer worth taking the drug anymore?

You might already be a that point. Unfortunately, if you haven't got any regrowth by now then you're unlikely to get any in the future. From the sounds of things it hasn't help much in the way of maintenance either. The two remaining possibilities are; it's slowed down your hair loss or it's done nothing at all. If you think it has slowed down your progression then it may be helpful to continue. If you don't think it has, then there's really no reason to continue, especially if it's giving you sides.