I have diffuse thinning, need help!

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
first off, i'm a male. but i don't wanna post again on the male forum cause those ppl are too negative. all they sa is i've got another form of male pattern baldness and to take the big three.

problem is my hairloss kicked REAL fast and aggressive! it was like a kick in the nuts. i can say i've lost over 50% of my hair in 6 months! i always thought male pattern baldness was more gradual. or is it?

so what do u guys think it is? i just talk to my dad on the phone and he admitted that he has a "little" diffuse thinning. but he said when he was in his 20's,30's and early 40's (which i am), he had alot of hair. so i'm guessing mine sholdn't kick in so early.

so what do u guys think it is? i did a blood test and my throid is normal. but i know ppl say it doesn't mean too much cause the throid changes all the time. my iron levels are normal. my testorstrone level is normal too. what can it be?????

and can u go completely bald with diffuse thinning? Thanks!

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
scud666, what did your doctor say? Have you been to a dermatologist? Diffuse thinning that rapidly could be Telogen Effluvium. Have you talked to your doctor about this? There are a lot of thyroid tests you can do, but, from what I've researched, thyroid tends to be one of the leading causes for women but not so much for men. So, if your thyroid showed up normal, I don't think there would be much need to run the full thyroid panel (for women, I would definitely say, run the whole panel).

Did you have a stressful event or any major changes 3 months up until the time you started your hairloss?

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help.

funny thing is it just kicked in all of a sudden. it started ever since i used Nioxin shampoo. right like the 3rd day i used the shampoo. The shampoo must of triggered some crap on me.

i've been reading up on sites and they all suggest male pattern baldness is a gradual process which takes years. i have diffuse thinning instead. hairline has not changed. in fact the temple areas started filling in ever since i used nioxin. weird as hell.

but the density of my hair is getting my and more sparse each day. i cannot think of anything stressful for me. college days were more stressful than work days now that i graduated. i am really bummed out. i might be the only person with hairloss problems in my whole family. all my uncles have a full head of hair. although they turn white quicker than normal, they all have decent amount of hair. sigh....

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
scud666, don't lose hope. For a guy, I would think that diffuse thinning is a much better thing than male pattern baldness (relatively speaking, of course), because male pattern baldness is inevitable, but if you have diffuse thinning and it's Telogen Effluvium, then your chances of regrowth are much better.

I'm assuming that you stopped the Nioxin shampoo?

Have you tried Rogaine? What did your dermatologist say?

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
no, i haven't tried rogaine in fear of ANY medication and their side effects. i've had my history with skin products and it has wrecked my face. my acne and marks are recovering and ironically the best my skin has been is when i've used zero products on my face and only take two showers a day. apart from that nothing touches my face.

which leads me to believe shampoo might have wrecked my hair. i was stupid enough before to NOT rinse off completely my hair thinking to leave some of the DHT inhibitors in the shampoo to take effect even after i take my shower. man, how little did i know about hair before!!! my hair got instantly itchy and VERY OILY. and i instantly felt my hair feel soft for once in my life! i was like: GREAT! now i have hair like what the shampoo commercials call "soft and silky."

now what do i have to do to reverse the scalp damage i did to my scalp my leaving shampoo risidue for 2 days? i'm trying to use plainwater to wash my hair as much as possible. I heard ppl say that Sodium Laureth Sulfate is harsh. so maybe that what's causing the diffuse thinning.

basically i'm trying to get back to the natural route!