I have been using finasteride and dutasterid

pisveotesi

Reaction score
Hello
I'm also a long time propecia user, I've been using it for the last 12 years with great success, at least I'm not completely bald right now. But about 6 months ago, I thought I could get thicker hair by adding 0.5mg dutasteride daily, so I've been taking both finasteride and dutasteride for the last 6 months. Not only did it not do anything, I have a lot of shed, and lost lots of hairs. My balding is becoming apparent now.

I don't know should I continue using both together, I don't know should I stop using dutasteride or continue. I've already taken dutasteride daily for the last 4 months, so if I stop now, will I lose even more hair? That's something called "up regulation" if I'm not mistaken. If I could go back, I would not have taken dutasteride in the first place, but since I've already taken it, I don't know what to do.

Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

kir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense taking both since their mechanism of actions are similar. Dutasteride has a longer half life and stronger affinity to the enzyme. It also inhibits almost all of the enzyme. So when you take the the finasteride, the Dutasteride will still be attached to the enzyme. Therefore you waste the finasteride because it is left with nothing to do.

If finasteride has worked well for you I suggest you stick with it :)

There is no solid evidence to support that these drugs cause androgen receptor up-regulation.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
.5 dutasteride daily is very powerful, the propecia is probably having no effect in your system. As crazy as it sounds, you could stop the propecia and continue dutasteride for 6 months to see if it comes back as this was only a new shed due to lower DHT.

pisveotesi

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense taking both since their mechanism of actions are similar. Dutasteride has a longer half life and stronger affinity to the enzyme. It also inhibits almost all of the enzyme. So when you take the the finasteride, the Dutasteride will still be attached to the enzyme. Therefore you waste the finasteride because it is left with nothing to do.

If finasteride has worked well for you I suggest you stick with it :)

There is no solid evidence to support that these drugs cause androgen receptor up-regulation.

Have the possibility rh (reflex hyperandrogenicity) ? what do you recommend ?

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
When I read the post, I thought this was a post I wrote... Your story is exactly like mine, took finasteride for the last 12 or so years, finasteride has helped maintained my hair, then added 0.5 mg dutasteride daily, and lost lots of hairs.

Now I'm starting to suspect when adding 0.5 dutasteride, it causes Telogen Effluvium. dutasteride is such a strong drug that it screwed up the hair growth cycles.

Reaction score
Now I'm starting to suspect when adding 0.5 dutasteride, it causes Telogen Effluvium. dutasteride is such a strong drug that it screwed up the hair growth cycles.

Isn't that just some temporary shredding. Eventually the circle will recover to its previous stability and then you will regrow some of the lost hair. Is that not the case?

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't that just some temporary shredding. Eventually the circle will recover to its previous stability and then you will regrow some of the lost hair. Is that not the case?

It's Telogen Effuivium, not shedding; I've lost at least 30% - 50% of my overall hairs. This is the third month of taking finasteride only, still waiting for the lost hair to come back.