I Have a Question About Hormonal Blood Tests

NaNaMaOn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Hair Loss sufferers!

I, like many of you, am going through troubles of the follicular variety, and need some help from you folks. I am already taking Castor Oil and about to begin Dermarolling, but I know that I’m fighting an uphill battle without some form of antiandrogen. I have decided to opt for a form of Topical Finasteride, with hopes of a slightly decreased chance of sides, however I know that it goes systemic to some degree. In order to prepare for the eventuality of my DHT being reduced, I want to take a blood test to check my hormones beforehand so that information is available. However, I have never had a blood test, so don’t know the protocol and have a question to ask. I want to go private so that I can get the results ASAP (I live in the Uk).

I would ideally want all of my hormones checked out, however I have seen a few hormonal blood tests which only seem to scan for DHT, Estradiol and free test which is quite lacking. Do I need to go into specifics with the clinic about what hormones I want checked or are such limited hormonal profiles as I described above an anomaly and testing each and every hormone is common practice?

I’m also planning a blood test for nutritional deficiencies.

I’m fairly new to all of this so any constructive comments are appreciated.

RogerRock

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Hair Loss sufferers!

I, like many of you, am going through troubles of the follicular variety, and need some help from you folks. I am already taking Castor Oil and about to begin Dermarolling, but I know that I’m fighting an uphill battle without some form of antiandrogen. I have decided to opt for a form of Topical Finasteride, with hopes of a slightly decreased chance of sides, however I know that it goes systemic to some degree. In order to prepare for the eventuality of my DHT being reduced, I want to take a blood test to check my hormones beforehand so that information is available. However, I have never had a blood test, so don’t know the protocol and have a question to ask. I want to go private so that I can get the results ASAP (I live in the Uk).

I would ideally want all of my hormones checked out, however I have seen a few hormonal blood tests which only seem to scan for DHT, Estradiol and free test which is quite lacking. Do I need to go into specifics with the clinic about what hormones I want checked or are such limited hormonal profiles as I described above an anomaly and testing each and every hormone is common practice?

I’m also planning a blood test for nutritional deficiencies.

I’m fairly new to all of this so any constructive comments are appreciated.
I’ve just had a blood test done by my doctor. I also wanted to test more, but somehow some tests were not on the list to mark.

I tested the following:

Testosterone
Iron (ferritine)
Thyroid
Cholesterol
Vitamin B12

DHT was not possible. I wish I also tested free test and Estradiol, but yeah, I could always go back in half a year.

theotherusero

My Regimen
Reaction score
Derek from MPMD highly recommend you always get your hormone levels tested with high-pressure liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS-MS).

@Canuto recommended using LC/MS-MS at least for E2 and DHT. For the other hormones you can use standard tests.

I want to take a blood test too, in order to establish a baseline.
I suggest you to check the following, if you want an in-depth analysis.

Total Testosterone
Free Testosterone
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
Estradiol (E2)
Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
Luteinizing Hormone (LH)
Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA)
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)
Prolactin (PRL)
Progesterone (P4)
Cortisol
Steroid Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG)
Albumin
Alanine transaminase (ALT)
Aspartate transaminase (AST)
Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
Metabolic profile

By the way, I'm no expert, this is just what I understood from various threads here on HairLossTalk.com.