I had the weirdest shed on dutasteride

player5453

Reaction score
So i started taking dutasteride (0.5 mg daily for a week then every third day). Two weeks in i had a really bad shed and lost a lot of hair, floor was covered with hair everywhere. Around 1 month mark the shedding stopped, i hardly lose about 10 hairs in shower. I know this is supposed to be a good thing but the thing is if the shedding stopped shouldn't i be seeing hair growth by now? I was really hoping for regrowth around the temples but now i'm not sure if i'm still receding even. I will start a thread with my progress pics soon. Any insight would be appreciated

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how long have you been on dutasteride? it takes time for hair to regrow.

JohnSheikhh

Reaction score
yes, do update your thread. and I would say to take time and try not to have a negative attitude or feelings towards bad situations.

player5453

Reaction score
Sorry im late guys. I did a huge mistake. I switched from dutasteride to finasteride. Had a really massive shed especially at the crown. I just started dutasteride again, really hoping i didn't screw up. My scalp feels sore and hurts when i pull the hairs for some reason. Will update after a month of taking dutasteride.

bibz

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude why the hell did you switched?
The BIGGEST mistake when someone's going trought an initial finasteride or dutasteride shed is to quit... Never mess with the follicle synchronization and riding out the sheds is the key of the success!

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
You have to understand that the shedding is a natural part of the process. As bad hair begins to die, it will fall out and there will be a period of shedding. Ultimately the hair will begin to grow, but you have to be patient. Losing our hair is like a blizzard. It comes down fast, hard, and large batches at a time. Growing it back is much more like growing a garden. You spend days working the soil, choosing the right seeds, fertilizing the ground, planting those seeds, weeding the garden, and giving everything the right amounts of water and nutrition. You spend countless hours working and laboring in the garden and feel as though there are no results. Then suddenly, a plant pops through the dirt and begins to grow into a beautiful creation that bears fruit.

Goddamnit, I 'shed' a tear.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
same thing happened with me. I am now at 4 and a half months out from starting dutasteride. Look at my thread the link is in my signature. My shedding had a very sharp decline at about 6 weeks similar to what you mention

player5453

Reaction score
2 years on dutasteride update.

It has been a long two years. I have receded a bit which might have been due to accutane or when i stopped taking dutasteride as much since avodart costs a ****ing arm and leg. I have been consistently taking avodart once every two or three days in the past month though. I should mention that for a guy that had the recession that you see in the previous pictures occur over just 1 year, (17-18) dutasteride seems to be helping a lot since my hair loss used to be extremely aggressive. I was completely sure i would be far worse off by the time i'm almost 21. If this continues for a few more years i'd be very grateful and i'm happy either way that i wasn't completely bald before finishing high school.

20151223_001946.jpg20151223_002037.jpg20151223_002158.jpg

Give me your opinion

Edit: i should also mention that by the time i started taking avodart initially i stopped taking minoxidil since it caused irritation and was just too messy (plus could not afford both) which led to the shedding of the small hairs around the hairline seen in the 2013 pics

Last edited:

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score

It has been a long two years. I have receded a bit which might have been due to accutane or when i stopped taking dutasteride as much since avodart costs a ****ing arm and leg. I have been consistently taking avodart once every two or three days in the past month though. I should mention that for a guy that had the recession that you see in the previous pictures occur over just 1 year, (17-18) dutasteride seems to be helping a lot since my hair loss used to be extremely aggressive. I was completely sure i would be far worse off by the time i'm almost 21. If this continues for a few more years i'd be very grateful and i'm happy either way that i wasn't completely bald before finishing high school.

View attachment 37068View attachment 37069View attachment 37070

Give me your opinion

Edit: i should also mention that by the time i started taking avodart initially i stopped taking minoxidil since it caused irritation and was just too messy (plus could not afford both) which led to the shedding of the small hairs around the hairline seen in the 2013 pics

Very good! It is nice to see you have maintained your hair on Dutasteride, as someone who has recently started and also has aggressive male pattern baldness this gives me a lot of hope!

djhair

Reaction score

View attachment 37068View attachment 37069View attachment 37070

Give me your opinion

Judging the first pictures and your current hair photos, your hair has definitely thicken, no doubts about it. Good stuff.