I got a question about small claims and vehicle liability:

CCS

Reaction score
(Point is at the end)

My roommates and I play musical cars every morning since there are 4 cars parked on a two car driveway in front of a track home. My roommate's car is a lot shorter than my old SUV. One morning, I started backing up, and I heard a little noise back there. I stopped and knew. I pulled back forward, saw the dent in his hood, and went in and told him. It is about as wide as my fist and 1/3 inch deep, in the front center of his hood.

He drives a very old car with black spray paint as its paint. But it is probably worth more than other old cars. It is not a real sought after classic, like a ford mustang or dodge dart. But it is one of the middle tears as far as classics go. My father thinks it is worth $4000.

I told him I'd fix it. He said not to worry about and just to spray more paint on it so it does not rust. I insisted I would get it fixed. He then complained to our landlord behind my back, and she told me I better get it fixed, but I get to pick the shop since I'm paying.

I want to pay a body shop to contour some bondo in there and make it look like new from the outside (the car does not look like new. It does not even have a grill.) He wants me to buy him a hood from a junk yard. My other roommate, also a car admirer, says a hood for this kind of car will cost $800 if we can find one that is not rusted or dented up.

He has friends who own junk yards. I don't know if they will give him a low price on the hood because he is their friend, or if they will raise the price because I have to buy, and then give him a commission for bringing them the business.

My question is, if he takes me to small claims court and insists that I buy him a new hood, would the judge let me just have a body shop bondo it?

GeminiX

Reaction score
If the rule in the US is the same as the UK, they you would be responsible for returning the car to the condition it was in. Filler / bondo might be considered as a "bodge" rather than a full repair.

Other caveats might also apply of course, for example if both cars were on private land then there may be a clause in the property insurance rather than the motor-vehicle insurance.

As an aside, keep checking out ebay, even a mildly rusted bonnet / hood can be re-primed and be fit for purpose.