I feel like stopping Minoxidil - will I lose my hair?

crowcrow223

Reaction score
I feel like an idiot for starting to use minoxidil, it's become such a chore!
I've had full head of hair, and then someone told me minoxidil makes your hair even thicker, regrows lost hair and it's overall good!

So I did notice some hairloss at the beginning as anticipated, now I definitely do have a lot more baby/short hair growing, question is

Considering I've been applying minoxidil once daily for the last 10 months, will I lose all my hair if I stop? or just the ones that grew on minoxidil?

I'm just too lazy for it, plus minoxidil makes my blonde hair go ginger (if you apply it to your scalp and you got long hair, chances are it'll end up on ur hair), plus I find it makes my hair go funny a little, and I wanna get micro ring hair extensions, and if I was to apply minoxidil then it'd be nearly impossible to get to my scalp with the fake hair in

I don't know what to do, I haven't applied it in like probably two weeks now, I'm afraid I'll go bald instantly, am I doomed to using it for ever? I feel so dumb for even starting ugh :/

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, I would keep using it.... That is if you care about your hair loss. Stopping minoxidil will cause the hair it grew back to fall out and the hair you maintained. You could go through a huge shed or you may not. It's anyone's guess.... That's why I would stick with it

David.G

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopped using it on my crown after 8 months of consistent usage and around the 3rd month I could see the crown thinning again. I got back on it and it filled in nicely. Keep using it. Apply it before bed instead of morning. Its a hassle but we have no choice.

wakka12

Reaction score
Oh is 5 minutes of your time seriously not worth it to preserve your thick head of hair? Why take the chance? This question annoys me, theres so many men who are trying so hard with all these meds and would love to be in your position

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys but the replies are not helping the OP. First, he has described his unique reasons why minoxidil is gonna be difficult with micro ring hair extensions and also his going ginger. Second, he had a full head.

So basically he is a different case so please stop throwing your stock responses at him.

Here's my reply, crow:
Generally accepted empirical fact is quitting minoxidil reverts you to the position where you would have otherwise been now if you did not use minoxidil. I can advise further if you answer a few questions:
- What regions of the scalp you apply minoxidil to?
- What brand and stregthy minoxidil you are using?
- Are you using anything else to do with hair loss/recovery?

crowcrow223

Reaction score
To be honest, yes, I had FULL head of hair, not even a receding hairline, I forgot to say I'm a girl HAHA, there IS a balding history in my family though, female balding pattern, but I haven't yet experienced it
I used to apply it all over, I used to use kirkland 5%, and nothing else

So if I stop, I'll come back to what I've had yeah? That's good then... It's not really the 5 minutes that bother me, it's the fact that it makes me hair go ginger, bright orange, on top of that I want extensions, and third of all.. I just don't like the texture of my hair that grows on Minoxidil, it's very dry and coarse, and very hard to bleach...

I was asking cause I was just afraid I'd lose all my hair.

I'm still in between using it and not using it hmm

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, yes, I had FULL head of hair, not even a receding hairline, I forgot to say I'm a girl HAHA, there IS a balding history in my family though, female balding pattern, but I haven't yet experienced it

So if I stop, I'll come back to what I've had yeah? That's good then... It's not really the 5 minutes that bother me, it's the fact that it makes me hair go ginger, bright orange, on top of that I want extensions, and third of all.. I just don't like the texture of my hair that grows on Minoxidil, it's very dry and coarse, and very hard to bleach...

Try not to worry about it I'm not sure if minoxidil works for girls, have you tried some hair oils and scalp massages to help promote hair growth?

Pretty much everyone has somewhat of a receeding hairline even girls, this video might help you out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P04pS4yQiNQ

Good luck.

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score

Great. sorry for addressing you with the wrong pronouns. at least I know the answer to one question, i.e. you must be using Minoxidil 2%.

br1

Reaction score
Is There a problem with applying on the entire top of the head? Like, will give you side effects?? Thx.

oye_rg

Established Member
Reaction score
Is There a problem with applying on the entire top of the head? Like, will give you side effects?? Thx.

Possibly that too but that's not the main point. The main reason is if you turn the question on its head. Why do you need to apply to non-thinning areas and affect your healthy hair or possibly make them dependent or whatever? Also in future if those areas start thinning you have already made them adapt to resist minoxidil. Topical minoxidil acts only locally where applied. You wouldn't take any medicine that you don't need or stick a plaster over where you're not bruising.
In a nutshell, why fix it when it ain't broken.

br1

Reaction score
Got it. Makes sense. Just that I had a diffuse thinner like mine in mind... Which sucks..