I dunno what the f*ck is going on anymore.

Stingray

Reaction score
I been bitching bout my hair going through a massive shed and things thinning out, but now when I look in the mirror, the thin areas of my temples are looking fuller than they've been in the last 6 months. It's weird, because I know they have thinned out extensively. I'm seeming to have much better results on my temples than on my crown..anyone else have something similar to this?

Even though things are looking better, they still are worse than I was when I started. Hair is really thin all around, and still appear to be thinning as the time goes on. I just ordered spironolactone 5%, got a shipment of fincar coming (gonna up the ante to 2.5mg a day for 4 months to see if that is what it takes) and am currently on 2mL Generic 5% minoxidil twice daily due to lack of results on 1mL.

It's sure a bumpy road yo's. Wish me luck.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your timing has been, but is there a chance that your recent shed is as a result of the well documented minoxidil Shock of doing 4ml's of minoxidil a day?

I hope that youngguy shares QUICKLY what his application regimen is like with spironolactone 5%. I think many of us here would like to know.

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
sting, do you wanna humor me and recap what exactly your on and for how long?

Cal Que Later

Established Member
Reaction score
My front is holding in there a lot better than the crown of my head is. Other than some recession and some thinning the front looks pretty normal for a mature hairline. The back looks like a forest that has had a bomb dropped on it, while some trees hung in there many of them are faint memories. That's a lot hair loss product your using there, or about to be using, just remember that it takes time to see results. One more thing is the more you use of each product the higher the chances of side effects are so just be careful.

G

Sting.

I would add folligen products right now. Very nice results for me.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Stinga and others,

I understand the reason why spironolactone. should work. However, the clinical trials don't find it very useful -- it seems like you'd need to apply it every few hours to get any benefit from it. Oral spironolactone on the other hand is quite effective but would carry with it quite a load of side effects.

But keep me updated on your progress.

D.

Stingray

Reaction score
All the peeps that have been here for a while should no my regimen.. Sorry, bout that.

Anyways, for the past 9 months I've been on minoxidil 5% 1ml twice daily, Saw palmetto 320mg or more a day, Finasteride for the first 7 months but I had to stop due to finances. Couldn't afford the 170 bucks for a 3 month supply from my docs. Got some fincar on order though from some generics site, and the obligatory Nizoral.

I started shedding back in late june either due to stopping the saw palmetto for a while, or just a cyclical shed. It's subsided and shedding is no more than normal now.

I'll give it 3 months to see how things go before adding anything else brucie. 2 topcials and 2 orals is disheartening enough to take twice a day.

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
folligen irritation/rash

Probably a question for Bruce Lee: I've switched to folligen from tricomin and I think it really helped but I got a lot of irritation, itching and red bumps and some stinging when applying. Is this an allergy, or should I assume it will go away after a while? I've used a half a bottle so far.

umab

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Stingray!

I have got better results on temples than on crowd so far. Strange. I am surprised.

G

Re: folligen irritation/rash

justasking said:
Probably a question for Bruce Lee: I've switched to folligen from tricomin and I think it really helped but I got a lot of irritation, itching and red bumps and some stinging when applying. Is this an allergy, or should I assume it will go away after a while? I've used a half a bottle so far.

Which folligen are you using, therapy spray, lotion etc? I have always preferred the spray as it seems a bit less irritating when you first use it. In my case, the stinging went away for the most part.

shivs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hang in there Sting! I have had the most shedding in month 5 of my regimen. The other day I could notice my hair on top getting thin again. I missed a couple of days on the propecia and I am waiting for a refill on my minoxidil. I have to get a refill on my MSM (i'm broke as hell) I went to get a haircut this week and and It looks like I am still maintaining what I have on top...no significant regrowth though. I have been getting lazy as hell the last 3 weeks and my hair is starting to show it. This is where everyone needs to take a step back, regroup and focus on the problem at hand HAIRLOSS! :)

G

Stingray,

I started shedding back in late june either due to stopping the saw palmetto for a while, or just a cyclical shed. It's subsided and shedding is no more than normal now.

A couple of questions, in regards to the above quote did you start taking sawpalmetto again and with the initial addition of sawpalmetto (I take it your on 160mg standardized extract twice a day) what were the noticable difrences.

Distressed...

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: folligen irritation/rash

justasking said:

I believe it's okay to dilute folligen by 1/2 with water, distilled would probably be best. Saves money too.

Stingray

Reaction score
Distressed, 3 months went by before I remembered I was taking saw palmetto. I started back up in early september, taking 640mg twice a day just to recondition myself. Sure enough (I don't know if it was just luck, or what) but my shedding died down again within 3 weeks. But now I'm starting to shed again due to stopping propecia.

Damn my luck :)

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But now I'm starting to shed again due to stopping propecia.

Do you really think thats why? I stopped fina recently & i'm shadding, but i'm inclined to belive it's coincidental. I thought the view was stopping propecia merely means one is gonna bald at a normal rate, as opposed to stopping minoxidil, which causes a shed due to "minoxidil dependance".

Stingray

Reaction score
I mean shedding at my normal rate before starting propecia. Not a bad shed..like 50-100 hairs a day.

And it's been a month and a half since my last pink pill...so I can prolly attribute it to that.

G

Stingray,

I wish you luck, I have been fighting male pattern baldness for about 4 years now, the mainstay of my regime has been Proscar (Merck brand) 1.25mg and Nizoral 2% and I can honestly say it is up and down all the time as far as shedding goes some weeks I am happy don’t think twice about my hair others I feel unhappy, now I am feeling unhappy (this is why I ask about the sawpalmetto, I am debating whether to try it or not) as I have gone through another shed and my hair looks crap to me but in reality I know it will be fine as this is what happens, as long as I am popping that pill sacrificing a few beers to finance it I will be ok... I am focusing on maintenance now, I have had regrowth through trying various topicals and orals in the past but stopped as it is to much hassle, I much prefer to pop 1 pill and wash my hair every third day... you have to hang in there.

Distressed…

Stingray

Reaction score
Just added spironolactone 5% cream to my list. And boy lemme tell yah what. This sh*t is a PAIN in the *** to apply if you have a fair amount of hair.

Got a question for the guys that been using this for a while. About how much do I apply at a time, and is it once or twice a day?