I Don't Know If Every1 Has Seen This Article So Here...

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
Eight baldness cures that could soon put an end to your hair loss woes
HF9A4Y-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqolk963VRNCok71xFe0ekZrcOTArw6q3DryF_V5JSwuo.jpg

The bald truth: 40pc of men have noticeable hair loss by the age of 35 CREDIT: ALAMY
19 JANUARY 2017 • 11:04AM

Good news, hair loss sufferers: science is making giant strides towards an answer to your troubles.

Already there are options on the market, although these often fall into one of two prohibitive categories – simply ineffective or dramatically expensive. New drugs and techniques are in development that could change this: keep your eyes open and your ears peeled in 2017, and you might just see the launch of a new baldness cure that makes your hair stand on end.

1. Hair multiplication, Japan
The most anticipated hair loss treatment in the near future springs from a Japanese partnership (announced in 2016) between the country’s RIKEN Research Institute, Organ Technologies and electronics behemoth, Kyocera.

The research team, which will be led by Dr Takashi Tsuji, has made countless ground-breaking discoveries related to hair loss in the past decade. This time, they plan to extract and then multiply a patient’s hair follicles via cell culturing, then transplant them onto balding regions of the scalp. This 'hair multiplication' process will solve the main drawback that exists with current hair transplant technology: an insufficient supply of donor hair at the back of the scalp.

The Japanese team is aiming for a commercial product release in 2020 and we'll likely get important updates from 2017 onwards.

My take: Pretty exciting. This one is at the cutting edge of regrowth technology.

2. Cultivated cell transplant, Japan
Again, the Japanese are leading the way. This technique, which cosmetics giant Shiseido will soon subject to phrase 3 clinical trials, sees dermal sheath cup cells – a blanket that wrap a follicle at its root – extracted from existing hairs, multiplied, and then transplanted.

My take: A cultivated cell transplant process involves cutting off a much smaller section of skin than is usually needed for hair transplants, which is very encouraging indeed.

3. JAK inhibitors for Androgenetic Alopecia, US
Over in the US, Aclaris Therapeutics are set to test Janus Kinase Inhibitors, which inhibit the activity of a family on enzymes, on men with Andro Genetic Alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) after seeing impressive results on patients with Alopecia Areata (AA). 95 percent of balding men suffer from Androgenetic Alopecia (due to male hormones, in particular DHT), whereas only 1-2pc of men are believed to suffer from the AA variant, so the world will be watching this one with interest.

My take: It's early days, but the initial signs are encouraging.

4. Skin perturbation + topical application, US
Follica, another US firm, focuses on unique skin perturbation and topical compound technology. Only minimally invasive, the skin perturbation device removes the very top layers of the skin which prompts the skin cells beneath them to revert to a stem-like state. Then, a topical compound is applied which stimulates the growth of new hair follicles.

What’s so spectacular about this treatment is that it’s designed to work on clients who have lost their hair. Once the skin is disrupted, the cells that are mobilised to heal the area are forced to choose: make epidermis (more skin) or make hair. The aim is obviously to encourage the latter and the name of this regenerative effect is ‘hair follicle neogenesis’.

The company plans to complete trials in 2017 and has set a best-case product release date of 2018.

My take: Follica claims to have consistently created new hair follicles in mice and humans but until clinical trials have been completed, it’s best to remain cautiously optimistic.

5. Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC), US
And still in the US, Histogen plans to start testing its hair stimulating complex product on patients in Mexico in 2017, and possibly also in China as they have a new local partner there.

HSC is a soluble formulation which is injected into the hair loss area, with the aim of prompting follicle stem cell proliferation. Two company-sponsored clinical trials have already been conducted and, according to the Histogen website, “in the Pilot trial, 84.6pc of patients receiving just one HSC treatment showed a significant increase in terminal hair count and hair thickness at 12 weeks”.

My take: Encouraging for those who seek a non-surgical treatment. Basically, if you can cope with needles, then you can handle HSC.

6. Reactivating Wnt signalling pathways, US
In 2016, Samumed released phase 2 clinical trial data for SMO4554, a topically applied drug that tackles male pattern hair loss. It works by reinstating disrupted Wnt signalling pathways – proteins that send signals into a cell and give it instructions. With normal function resumed, the hair growth can restart

My take: Fascinating because it makes such sense. Phrase 3 clinical trials, hopefully this year, should tell us more.

7. Dutasteride, Japan & Korea
Dutasteride has been approved to treat hair loss in Japan and South Korea for a few years now. It remains to be seen if 2017 will finally be the year when it is also approved in the E.U. and the U.S. The drug inhibits dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a derivative of testosterone that destroys hair follicles and is at the root of most people's male pattern baldness.

My take: This drug’s hair growth effects are significantly superior to those of Finasteride so if you can get your hands on some through your hair loss practitioner, it’s currently the way to go.

8. Bimatoprost, Ireland
Allergan’s bimatoprost prostaglandin analog hair growth product – applied to the scalp – received a lot of positive publicity in 2015, when it was shown to work well in lengthening and thickening eyelashes in women. However, to do the same for scalp hair might not be realistic, or even if possible, as it would require much higher doses and result in greater side effects.

My take: This one has gone quiet of late – Allergan haven't released any info on the current status of the product in trials. These things often take longer than expected to launch onto the market – it may be that bimatoprost has already been binned, or it may be able to raise it's hairy head again.

What's important for the men and women out there who suffer from hair loss is that there are a lot of companies working towards way to tackle the issue, and their solutions are tested extensively. Rest assured, there are some promising products that we shall be able to get our hands on – or get onto our scalps – in due course.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
W00t

Tsuji, TissUse, Shiseido, etc. Are most promising

That Alexey Terskikh dude is making progress with his startup too, apparently

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My take away from the article is that there is a VERY promising future for the hair loss industry!

On a side not, Spencer Stevenson (Spex) is the author of the article above. He recently switched from finasteride to dutasteride (see link/pictures here: http://www.hairestorationetwork.com/eve/185590-im-changing-finasteride-upping-juice-dutasteride.html). Do you guys actually think this was needed? His crown still looks way above baseline to me and he had buzzed his hair very short in that picture. Sometimes I feel like people coming online to these forums complaining about current treatments losing their effect are really just overreacting. Anyone wanna give some opinions on this?

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
because pilofocus is crap and will never be released anyway. and even if it gets released for larger sessions in 2020 or so, it will be obsolete and surpassed by other treatments. nevermind the dubious regeneration claim from dr. wesley and artista. all in all, a useless technology.

How do you know that the regeneration claims are false?

Of course, I'm not 100% sure yet but I am optimistic that Pilofiocus will probably achieve quality donor regeneration.

Have you seen this NIH study?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19438685

Last edited:

tylerduren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
guys, it was like this ten years ago when i was 18... i used to come on here and read rhe same type of posts... the brotzus... the kelopesias.... posts like this.... cure in 5 years.... people claiming what im claiming now

its all a wild goose chase. prove me wrong

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
guys, it was like this ten years ago when i was 18... i used to come on here and read rhe same type of posts... the brotzus... the kelopesias.... posts like this.... cure in 5 years.... people claiming what im claiming now

What should we try to prove you wrong about?

Should we try to prove you're wrong about what was said in posts 10 years ago (when you were 18) or should we try to prove you're wrong that today's claims about breakthroughs are more credible than the claims 10 years ago were? I need to know what you want me to prove.

Last edited:

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Sigh.

I remember 10 years ago reading about something like hair multiplication and thought just do whatever I could to keep my hair till it comes true. Just tough it out.

Later I got on finasteride which kept my hair mostly intact but over the years fucked my health up in every possible way and eventually I had to quit and experience accelerated hair loss at an ridiculous rate.

If only even ONE of all these treatment arrive in time to tide me through. If only ONE.

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you know that the regeneration claims are false?

Of course I'm not 100% sure yet but I am optimistic that Pilofiocus will probably achieve quality donor regeneration.

Have you seen this NIH study?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19438685
Honestly, I think Dr. Wesley is a liar and therefore wouldn't trust myself and my hope on what he claims.

@nameless for your dislike, I recommend you to read Dr. Wesley's promotion for his topical finasteride. Spend five minutes to read his quoted studies abstracts, and judge by yourself. I'm just talking about the dr's honesty in general.

Last edited:

max310

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't give a damn if they are eight cures or a hundred cures that soon be available. All we need is just a one fucken cure that is available right fucken now. Sorry I had to say it or I could have a heart attack.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
basing the future of hair loss treatments on past failures doesn't make any since and is just foolish and pessimistic. this goes for anything in the scientific field.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
basing the future of hair loss treatments on past failures doesn't make any since and is just foolish and pessimistic. this goes for anything in the scientific field.

Buck, your mistake is you're using rational thought among people who've no interest in it.

It's like, I can get that you've been bald a long time and feel let down and ignored by the medical field, but even guys like Roberto and Fred can still see the error in thinking that because there was no cure 20 years ago means that the same will always be true.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
I don't give a damn if they are eight cures or a hundred cures that soon be available. All we need is just a one fucken cure that is available right fucken now. Sorry I had to say it or I could have a heart attack.

Yea it only takes one cure to solve the problem but most attempts to cure hair loss WILL fail so the more potential cures you have in the pipeline the better your odds that at least one of them will actually work.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
even if you don't believe his claims of regeneration (and I don't), a nearly scarless hair transplant is a major improvement over FUE.

Pilofocus will be an option, and will definitely be available before 2020 (I'd be surprised if he wasn't offering it by Q4 this year/Q1 next year). For people who decide to have a hair transplant, that's good news.

I agree that Pilofocus should be available by Q4 this year or Q1 next year.

And nobody yet has proved that it won't produce quality donor regeneration. I believe it probably will.

People are highly skeptical of quality donor regeneration because claims of successful donor regeneration have all been proven false or the regenerated hairs were found to be thinner/finer than the original hairs. But comparing Pilofocus to standard hair transplants is like comparing apples and oranges because Pilofocus is a completely new type of hair transplant.

abcdefg

Reaction score
If these are the future treatments im not very optimistic about the future. How about some more possible topical or internal drugs? Why are we pinning everything onto these moon shot invasive procedures like hair multiplication? Those kinds of things are going to be so ridiculously complicated and expensive to do most men with male pattern baldness wont be able to afford it for another decade after it comes out.
What about more AR types of topicals or treatments that combine some finasteride like approach with an AR blocker. Or attacking DHT/T from a new pathway or different angle. There are tons of other options that would be cheaper and easier than hair multiplication

Last edited:

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If these are the future treatments im not very optimistic about the future. How about some more possible topical or internal drugs? Why are we pinning everything onto these moon shot invasive procedures like hair multiplication? Those kinds of things are going to be so ridiculously complicated and expensive to do most men with male pattern baldness wont be able to afford it for another decade after it comes out.
What about more AR types of topicals or treatments that combine some finasteride like approach with an AR blocker. Or attacking DHT/T from a new pathway or different angle. There are tons of other options that would be cheaper and easier than hair multiplication

It is by far more a "moon shot" that there will ever be a topical or oral medication that will be a solution to hairloss.

What science is there to indicate that it is even possible to regrow a full head of hair this way? We don't even know how minoxidil really works and even it is not a complete solution.

If such a product is to ever exist, hair multiplication is likely a requisite technology to even do it. At that point, there is no point in developing drugs.

The methods that Organ Tech, TissUse, etc. are proposing are really no more complicated than existing stem cell therapies and far less invasive or complex than surgeries that are performed, with high success rates, every day. TissUse's method could be a done by a single doctor, according to them. If a doctor were to even charge 1,000 a patient, it's a license to print money with an unending supply of customers. The complexity of Tsuji's method comes not from the cell aspect of it, but because of what he's proposing in terms of automation and the like.

Jahoda solved a culturing problem back when in his earlier hair experiments by flipping the dish upside down. Most of the stuff surrounding this, isn't as sci-fi as people think it is.

We don't need more AR blockers, we already have them and they don't solve the problem for everyone anyway. What we need is for more people to put stem cells that have been shown to regenerate human hair (and other things) into human trials.

Thankfully, many scientists and doctors are starting to see the potential and move forward with what is, in some cases, decades old research.

the smoking baby

Established Member
Reaction score
Pilofocus is already available through Dr. Wesley, albeit on a trial basis. Unfortunately, it likely won't be a technique that will supplant FUE anytime soon as it is not nearly fast enough to extract the same number of follicular units in the same time period as FUE given the limitations of the piloscopic instruments (removing the follicles from below is extremely time consuming and cumbersome with current instruments). Although he has been improving the instrumentation and technique, as of last year, he admitted himself that he was still a long ways off before his technique would compete with FUE in both time and cost (SOURCE: I interviewed Dr. Wesley last year for a website I had up for a year before taking down given my time constraints to keep at growing it). It should also be noted that Dr. Wesley was not the first to attempt piloscopy. It had been attempted before with other surgeons, including Dr. Robert Jones in Canada, before being summarily abandoned given the crude piloscopic instruments available and the time-consuming nature of the technique. Better instruments lead to better and faster techniques but let's be real: removing follicles from underneath is always going to be far more time consuming than removing them from the top of the scalp. If you only want 1000 follicular units transplanted in one session, then pilofocus will be a viable alternative. If you want 3000 or more, be prepared for multiple sessions and significant costs associated with the additional time.

That is not to say that it won't be beneficial to the hairloss community in the short run. Hair multiplication treatments, like Dr. Tsuji's, will require small biopsies to be removed in order to multiply the different cells. Piloscopy would be ideal for that purpose as it would't leave a punctuate scar and requires far less follicles to be removed.

As for the claims of donor regeneration. Dr. Wesley has not made any claims about donor regeneration beyond what existing studies have already demonstrated: a certain percentage of follicles that are bisected do regrow but regrown follicles are thinner and don't always cycle through their various phases.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
Wesley has given no scientific hypothesis as to why Pilofocus would regenerate hair; if he can't even explain his claim, I'm highly skeptical of it.

I'm not sure they've figured out how minoxidil grows hair yet, but even if they have it took them a long time to do it.