I Dermarolled Once A Week For 50 Weeks -- Can You See Any Progress?

malebiped

Reaction score
37-year-old male at Norwood 2.5 or so.

After reading much of this mammoth thread a year ago, I figured there was little to lose in buying a practically free 1.5mm dermaroller from China, as the thread starter had done. I've never taken drugs for hairloss and do not plan to -- the side effects reported by some sound far worse than mere hairloss.

Anyway, In November 2018 I began savaging my scalp weekly. Someone said the more you wounded the better, so that's what I've been doing for about 50 weeks now. I've skipped 2 or 3 weeks when my scalp felt particularly destroyed. However, now I've grown a little iffy about continuing it, since there seem to be new lumps/warts on my crown, possibly caused by the regular wounding/bleeding/tearing. My fear is that if I'm not careful, my scalp might look like a battlefield if/when I end up having to shave it all off.

Attached are wet-hair photos in chronological order, the first one showing day 0 (before the first rolling), and then one per 4 weeks. Is there any progress to be seen? Anything to justify continuing the weekly scalp massacres?

IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1660.JPG IMG_1725.JPG IMG_1766.JPG IMG_2136.JPG IMG_2177.JPG IMG_2234.JPG IMG_2292.JPG IMG_2356.JPG IMG_2396.JPG IMG_2438.JPG IMG_2519.JPG

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like you've maintaned or gotten a little worse. I'm not surprised since you're not doing anything to combat DHT, and you're not using minoxidil. Frankly if you're that against medication then I wouldn't bother with the treatment anymore.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you roll once per week you ought to stop once your scalp has mild erythema. If you "savage" your scalp then you ought to space out your dermarolling sessions. Overall your hair is about the same.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you think hair loss is just a small problem and don't want to take drugs then just shave it off.

malebiped

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for weighing in.

If you roll once per week you ought to stop once your scalp has mild erythema. If you "savage" your scalp then you ought to space out your dermarolling sessions. Overall your hair is about the same.

How far apart should the sessions be, then? I make sure to see blood every time. It makes me feel like I'm doing something about the problem, which is psychologically advantageous. I'm attaching one photo from a couple months back, showcasing the level of weekly carnage.

Also just to be clear, I don't judge anyone who goes down the drug route. Personally I just feel like one's hair is less important than one's male mojo.

Attachments

• IMG_2282.JPG
    IMG_2282.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 731

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermarolling is the most overrated thing ever when it comes to hair loss, if you don't use minoxidil with it you won't see any regrowth, on it's own it won't do anything at all, in fact it will cause more damage to your scalp and if you over do it it might cause scars, even though those scars might not be that visible to you but if you plan on doing a hair transplant down the road those scars might affect the results in a negative way

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks a little worse.. jump on minoxidil with Sandalore and Estrogel

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
:(

Thanks for the input though. I'll have to rethink my approach.

Try The Ordinary hair serum, it's a serum that you apply before bed it lasts a few months, it's like 15$, it has some good ingredients in it, I have been using it for a while and it made my hair look healthier and a bit more thicker, no harm in trying it since it's cheap, good luck.

malebiped

Reaction score
Yeah, many thanks for namedropping Sandalore and the Ordinary Hair thing. While I wouldn't touch anything with Estro in its name with a ten-foot pole, the two other products have not, to my knowledge, been implicated with emasculating side effects, at least not yet, so they may indeed be worth a trial.

thickhaironhead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermaroller can do more harm than good if used improperly. It can easily pull off hair if its to long and its rough to the skin. Its better to use a dermastam or dermapen in that case. That being said, microneedling can be a great part of a regimen. And thats the crucial thing, a part, of a regimen, as a stand alone treatment it wont be enough for most people. The same goes for minoxidil or finas, always use a combo to fight hairloss. It need to be addressed both internally and topically for best effect.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for weighing in.

How far apart should the sessions be, then? I make sure to see blood every time. It makes me feel like I'm doing something about the problem, which is psychologically advantageous. I'm attaching one photo from a couple months back, showcasing the level of weekly carnage.

Also just to be clear, I don't judge anyone who goes down the drug route. Personally I just feel like one's hair is less important than one's male mojo.

Every three weeks should be fine. Make sure to wait 24 hours before using minoxidil and don't use any topical anti-inflammatories (e.g. ketoconazole) for a few days afterwards.

Hardekz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think there is a little improvement, but nothing that is worth it.

I am also doing microneedling alone for 6 months, i seem losing less hairs, but no regrow at all. I added minoxidil 2 weeks ago and see if it will start regrow.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Every three weeks should be fine. Make sure to wait 24 hours before using minoxidil
The only reason to not use minoxidil immediately is side effects. However, it has been shown that applying 5% minoxidil immediately after microneedling does not result in unsafe levels of minoxidil systemically.