I changed brands and experienced hairloss, how to continue

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been on finasteride for 4 years and it has really saved my hair.

About 3 months ago, my prescription ran out and I went to get a refill, the brand I use "Propecia 1mg" wasn't there and it would arrive in a week, instead I was offered Prosterid 1mg (which contains the active ingredient finasteride) and since I've swapped minoxidil brands multiple times, I figured this would do the trick and changing brands would not make a difference whatsoever.

However, upon using it I could feel a "shed" occur. I was denial at first but later on really realized that it did infact happen. I've taken Prosterid for 1 month now and I feel like my hair is somewhat coming together now, but I'm worried about what to do in 2 months when I dont have any left. Do I go back to Propecia 1 mg or do I ask for another refill of Prosterid? I still have 70 tablets left.

I really did a dumb mistake here and I feel like my hair has suffered immensly for it. Either that or my hair randomly started shedding out of nowhere.

Help is appreciated!

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also want to clarify, if I go back to propecia I will probably shed again? But then again that was my original prescription so I don't know if I can get prosterid again in the future. It's a dumb asf situation and I should've done some research before getting on this shitty prosterid lmao

MrClean1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That would be unlikely that the switch caused any shedding. Generic drugs for the most part perform the same as the brand name and are highly regulated. I would get whatever is cheapest.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
That would be unlikely that the switch caused any shedding. Generic drugs for the most part perform the same as the brand name and are highly regulated. I would get whatever is cheapest.
A lot of people do however mention shedding when switching brands which can be seen both in this forum and/or reddit

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
can u comment on the sides after switching? the first time i ever took finstariede was in 2005 and it was cipla finpecia. It worked for me and with all the drastic sides. I never took propecia .. itis likely that u got non legit pills... U see the substance called finasteride is actually from suppliers and it could be the pill manufacturer has been duped.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
can u comment on the sides after switching? the first time i ever took finstariede was in 2005 and it was cipla finpecia. It worked for me and with all the drastic sides. I never took propecia .. itis likely that u got non legit pills... U see the substance called finasteride is actually from suppliers and it could be the pill manufacturer has been duped.
Yeah--Finpecia is legit.

As for shedding from different brands, I guess anything is possible. Assuming it contains actual Finasteride, though, I'm sure you'll be fine. You could just be going through a seasonal shed. I say ride it out.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah--Finpecia is legit.

As for shedding from different brands, I guess anything is possible. Assuming it contains actual Finasteride, though, I'm sure you'll be fine. You could just be going through a seasonal shed. I say ride it out.
Finpecia worked for me back in 2005 just like i assume original propecia. Never took original propecia so I will not know whether that's better performing. From what i understand, the non active ingredients in propecia seen to be caking filling and coloring agents used in other types of medication pills as well and I don't see why they would have a actual effect on the performance of the active ingredient finasteride. It's likely that those who say experienced negative effects after they changed brands with generics likely had some bought some generic with no active ingredients in it. Maybe something went wrong during the manufacturing process and the ingredient got left out. By right finasteride should work the same whether u took it at 5mg or 0.2 mg

Or Sometimes the generics company may want to do this to save some dollars...

Last edited:

Dogchebag

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There has to be a different necessarily in the compounds. I've tried different avodart brands and one mysteriously keeps my hair the other let's it go to sh*t. Aha.

Use what works for you. And nothing else. Dont listen to anyone. Its YOUR HAIR not theirs

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There has to be a different necessarily in the compounds. I've tried different avodart brands and one mysteriously keeps my hair the other let's it go to sh*t. Aha.

Use what works for you. And nothing else. Dont listen to anyone. Its YOUR HAIR not theirs
Can u tell me what the brand u used? And what didn't work

Dogchebag

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can u tell me what the brand u used? And what didn't work
Any type of generic Dutasteride gave me absolutely terrible results. I won't be sensationalist and say that my hair "got worse because of the pill" but rather the logical explanation is that it was not protecting my hair properly and hairloss was kept it's regular course within that time.

However, original branded dutasteride GSK never gave me issue and from day 1 shedding stopped.

The only direct observations I could make is that GSK is a liquid inside, perhaps my body is processing this better and can have a biological function in the process involved with hairloss, the generic were powder, which I guess is not as well processed in my body. Leaving aside the possibility of bunk pills which seems unlikely.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any type of generic Dutasteride gave me absolutely terrible results. I won't be sensationalist and say that my hair "got worse because of the pill" but rather the logical explanation is that it was not protecting my hair properly and hairloss was kept it's regular course within that time.

However, original branded dutasteride GSK never gave me issue and from day 1 shedding stopped.

The only direct observations I could make is that GSK is a liquid inside, perhaps my body is processing this better and can have a biological function in the process involved with hairloss, the generic were powder, which I guess is not as well processed in my body. Leaving aside the possibility of bunk pills which seems unlikely.
Yes most likely. Liquids get readily absorbed