I can't decide guys

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been considering using propecia for over three months now and I just can't decide whether or not I want to risk it. I would take half the drug every other day. I am just so scared of it. Can you guys tell me your experiences with the drug

mandatswack

Reaction score
Many other posts on this, people are going to keep telling you to try it. Just gotta man up at some point. I am in the same process as you at the moment and we are probably worrying over nothing.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Many other posts on this, people are going to keep telling you to try it. Just gotta man up at some point. I am in the same process as you at the moment and we are probably worrying over nothing.

Are u going to get it?

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat 1.5 months ago, you should look at my thread, might be helpful.

It comes down to this: you need to weigh the risk vs reward, and make a decision. In my opinion the risk for side effects is low and the reward is high (not losing hair). I am uncomfortable with messing with hormones / taking a medication every day, but I think I would be more uncomfortable going bald.

What finasteride actually does to your body (besides inhibit DHT and save your hair) is still not extremely well understood, a lot more research needs to be done. There seems to be a very very small subset of users who have very bad persistent sides effects, and another small subset which get sides that go away with discontinued use. Unfortunatly, its also the only (FDA Approved) thing that will stop/slow down your hair loss.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
just shave it bro

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you should give it shot man, you'll regret it later on. Don't do EOD, start with .5 mg ED.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Study this week;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26924401

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Finasteride is a widely used drug in dermatology for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia. There are many reports of associated sexual side effects. This article reviews the use of once-daily 1 mg finasteride in androgenetic alopecia and its associated sexual adverse effects.

METHODS:
A literature search was performed to collect data on the use of finasteride in male pattern baldness. Relevant literature published till March 2014 was obtained from MEDLINE, EMBASE, CINAHL, Cochrane registers and LILACS. The keywords "finasteride", "male pattern baldness" and "androgenetic alopecia" were used for literature search. Similarly, a search was done for finasteride in female pattern hair loss with keywords "female pattern baldness", "finasteride" and "female pattern alopecia". All systematic reviews, meta-analyses, national guidelines, randomized controlled trials, prospective open label studies and retrospective case series in the English literature were reviewed.

RESULTS:
Two hundred sixty two studies were evaluated, twelve of which fulfilled the inclusion criteria.

CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS:

Current evidence on the safety of finasteride indicates that it is safe but there is growing concern about its sexual side effects. In view of this, proper information should be provided to patients prior to starting treatment (Level of recommendation 1+, Grade of recommendation B). The reported sexual side effects are few and reverse with stoppage of the drug (Grade of recommendation B) but further studies are required.

I pretty much concur with that, the odds of getting permanent side effects are damn close to zero with finasteride in my opinion. You can always try it out and quit if you don't like it.

Or you can't take it and proceed to bald. Simple really. Weight the risk and benefits for yourself..

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Pavi look at it this way, you were an excellent responder to minoxidil, went from pushing on NW3 to NW2 maybe even lower. By not taking a drug that is proven to be safe you are going to watch all of that fall away from you a lot quicker than it otherwise would do. In the near future there may well be something that could render finasteride and Min both irrelevant, but for the time being they are all we have and for 95% of guys who start balding under 30, finasteride is a necessary component to maintain there hair.

Solomon

Established Member
Reaction score
Study this week;

I pretty much concur with that, the odds of getting permanent side effects are damn close to zero with finasteride in my opinion. You can always try it out and quit if you don't like it.

Or you can't take it and proceed to bald. Simple really. Weight the risk and benefits for yourself..

Hey Swoop,

I got gyno (mild) with veeery little dose of finasteride (0.2mg E4D), but I'm still taking it. Will gyno goo away after I stop taking finasteride? :(

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pavi look at it this way, you were an excellent responder to minoxidil, went from pushing on NW3 to NW2 maybe even lower. By not taking a drug that is proven to be safe you are going to watch all of that fall away from you a lot quicker than it otherwise would do. In the near future there may well be something that could render finasteride and Min both irrelevant, but for the time being they are all we have and for 95% of guys who start balding under 30, finasteride is a necessary component to maintain there hair.

This is one of your most helpful posts you have ever written me. Thank you for the reply. I just don't know how this will go knowing I have low DHT already

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Swoop,

I got gyno (mild) with veeery little dose of finasteride (0.2mg E4D), but I'm still taking it. Will gyno goo away after I stop taking finasteride? :(

I was worried I was getting it, but now not sure. How did you know you are getting it? It is obvious?

It will go away if it hasn't 'set in' / become hard yet, from what I have read.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Swoop,

Well if it's induced by finasteride, yes probably. But are you completely sure of that? Many guys think they have gyno while in reality they don't have anything at all and their nipples look fine.

Beginning gyno is also treatable by Andactrim (DHT gel) and the likes of raloxifene and tamoxifen. All supported by studies and anecdotal evidence. Problem is they are all bad for your hair..

Perhaps you could work with a tiny dab of DHT gel to limit systemic absorption with the primary intention of activating AR around your nipple area. But if it does get systemic and it raises your DHT levels it will be (very) bad for your hair.. So you would have to find out if such a strategy is feasible.

Also, if you are overweight for example which contributes to high E2, you need to work on that by getting fit.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Swoop, I have low DHT pre finasteride.... Do u think I have an increased risk of sides

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would think about talking to an endocrinologist for some peace of mind. Most guys including myself never had the luxury of having our DHT levels checked prior to taking finasteride. I think they should have at least some insight to your questions.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Study this week;

i agree with this completely, after 25 years, i think we have enough evidence from every different demographic taking the drug to know its ultimate effect. YES, propecia can cause sexual sides, there is no denying that but the thing is its not as common as you think, and when people say sexual sides you think about ED and so on.. when really you wanting sex half as much as usual could be the sexual side you experience.

Also, about the permanent sides id say most of these peoples hormones were not in a healthy state prior to taking finasteride.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
i agree with this completely, after 25 years, i think we have enough evidence from every different demographic taking the drug to know its ultimate effect. YES, propecia can cause sexual sides, there is no denying that but the thing is its not as common as you think, and when people say sexual sides you think about ED and so on.. when really you wanting sex half as much as usual could be the sexual side you experience.

Also, about the permanent sides id say most of these peoples hormones were not in a healthy state prior to taking finasteride.

Well my DHT is already on the very low side of normal....