I am super paranoid. Please help me figure out if I have male pattern baldness.

Mr.Anonymouse

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i just joined today because I am currently 19 years old, and I am insanely paranoid that I am in the process of losing my hair.
Please help me figure out if I'm in the process male pattern baldness, or if maybe perhaps it is a case of a "maturing hairline".
I just keep obsessing over it and worrying all day and night about it, which is ridiculous and I recognize that.
I've got an anxiety problem additionally, so that just makes worrying about this super hyperfocused. I keep comparing my hairline mentally with everyone I see, and I feel like it is much more of a deep M than any of my friends, and even more than many people I see walking around at work (I work retail) that are in their 30's and 40's.
It has just really lowered my self esteem lately, and I'd just really appreciate if I could get some conformation from you guys if you think that I am showing telltale signs of baldness currently or whether you think it is just me over reacting.
I really appreciate any help you guys give me, I'm sorry to be throwing another one of these posts in the forum.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The first three are from tonight, the 4th is from about a year ago, and the last two are from about a year and a half ago.
If I am losing hair, what should I do?

Attachments

• Bleh1.png
    Bleh1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 373
  • Bleh2.png
    Bleh2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 372
  • Bleh3.png
    Bleh3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 384
  • Bleh4.png
    Bleh4.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 379
  • Bleh5.png
    Bleh5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 386
  • Bleh6.png
    Bleh6.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 368

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
your balding bro

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does look like you are beginning to experience a receding hairline.

Male pattern baldness can start anytime after puberty, and it is caused by a hormone called DHT. However, there are several things you can do to fight it, and I discuss on a blog article what you should do if you want to maintain the hair you have:

https://attackplan.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/maintain/

In short, the options are:

2% ketoconazole shampoo
Minoxidil (5%)
Laser Cap (low-level laser therapy)
Finasteride (prescription drug you can ask your doctor for)

If you don't have much money to spend right now, I recommend starting with the 2% ketoconazole shampoo, as that is the cheapest treatment. Again, feel free to see my blog above for more information.

And don't worry, you aren't going to suddenly lose your hair overnight. There are always options, it's not the end of the world, you'll be able to keep the hair you have.

Austin:316

Established Member
Reaction score
My friend receded to the M shape when he was about 21. He's 28 now and hasn't appeared to have receded any further. Maybe he started treatment, I don't know. As for your hair, monitor it with pictures every few months and if it continues to progress start treatment. You don't want to start treatment until you are certain that male pattern baldness is in effect, because then when you actually do need it the effectiveness will have worn off. That's my advice.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
You have male pattern baldness. It can be mature hairline but you can't know how worse it's going to get. Right now it still looks nice (hardly anyone would think you're balding) and you can maintain it with medication. If I were you I would start taking Finasteride with a doctor's prescription.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah man, youve got some miniaturization going on at your hair line and temples. Try not to panic! Though thats alot easier said than done. If you feel theres no way you can be happy losing your hair ( like me) try and find a decent dermatologist or any dr who knows about finasteride. Get a hormone panel done first! Then start finasteride. Your very young so for real get your hormone levels checked. Its better to have a baseline pre finasteride. I wish i did before i started. Most tolerate the medicine well, but some do get some side effects. Finasteride will totally save your hair though, your still in early stages. If your scared to start finasteride just yet. Look into rogaine. I dont personally use it so i wont try and advise you about it. Good luck man!

Mr.Anonymouse

Reaction score
Yes, it does look like you are beginning to experience a receding hairline.

Male pattern baldness can start anytime after puberty, and it is caused by a hormone called DHT. However, there are several things you can do to fight it, and I discuss on a blog article what you should do if you want to maintain the hair you have:

https://attackplan.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/maintain/

In short, the options are:

2% ketoconazole shampoo
Minoxidil (5%)
Laser Cap (low-level laser therapy)
Finasteride (prescription drug you can ask your doctor for)

If you don't have much money to spend right now, I recommend starting with the 2% ketoconazole shampoo, as that is the cheapest treatment. Again, feel free to see my blog above for more information.

And don't worry, you aren't going to suddenly lose your hair overnight. There are always options, it's not the end of the world, you'll be able to keep the hair you have.
Thanks a lot man. I'll definitely look into the shampoo, as I don't quite have enough money for the potentially 75 dollar a month Finasteride.
Thank you for your detailed and helpful response, I greatly appreciate it.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also dont waste your money on "natural" hair loss vitamins or supplements its very tempting but they will do little to nothing for you most likely. Ive tried most of them prior to finasteride. Finasteride is the real deal i assure you

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a lot man. I'll definitely look into the shampoo, as I don't quite have enough money for the potentially 75 dollar a month Finasteride.
you can use proscar at the 1mg a day dose for about 25- 35 bucks a month

Mr.Anonymouse

Reaction score
Also dont waste your money on "natural" hair loss vitamins or supplements its very tempting but they will do little to nothing for you most likely. Ive tried most of them prior to finasteride. Finasteride is the real deal i assure you

- - - Updated - - -

you can use proscar at the 1mg a day dose for about 25- 35 bucks a month

What's the difference between proscar and finasteride?

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
proscar is the original and is 5mg tablets instead of 1mg propecia tablets. People cut it into quarters. Its just as effective and you get brand name finasteride, at a fraction of the cost

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score

If you care about your hair, the price of Finasteride is nothing. In fact, never make health decisions based on money. You only live once, forget about useless stuff and invest in yourself.

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score

No problem man. Good luck!

mandatswack

Reaction score
I believe Proscar was originally used for prostate, they are both finasteride but it comes in 5 MG only so you will have to cut each pill in fourths. It is also more like 10 bucks per month I believe.

Mr.Anonymouse

Reaction score
I've been looking into the finasteride stuff now, and I've scheduled an appointment with my doctor to talk about the hair loss.

Have any of you guys had ill effects due to it?
It's sort of frightening reading some of these reviews.
Some people have permanent erectile dysfunction that lasts forever because of it and some get a super aggressive kind of prostate cancer and etc.
Have any of you guys had any negative side effects due to it?

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been looking into the finasteride stuff now, and I've scheduled an appointment with my doctor to talk about the hair loss.

Have any of you guys had ill effects due to it?
It's sort of frightening reading some of these reviews.
Some people have permanent erectile dysfunction that lasts forever because of it and some get a super aggressive kind of prostate cancer and etc.
Have any of you guys had any negative side effects due to it?
permanent side effects are very very very rare. The aggressive prostate cancer rates are actually bc finasteride keeps the prostate small so dr' s
Just find the tumor more easily and more often and finasteride actually reduces overall risk of prostate cancer 25% possibly. I have had some side effects but mine are not typical at all. I have zero erectile disfuction or reduced libido though. Just talk to your dr, ask alot of questions, get your hormone levels checked!!! First! And stay away from PROPECIA HELP like the plague. Seriously dont get that stuff in your head if you plan to take it. My biggest and Best advice is; when you start Propecia, relax... Pay attention to your body, but dont stress every lil feeling especially at First -Anthony

- - - Updated - - -

Your hair will improve and probably quickly like mine. I too was in earlier stages of loss

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
I did not search anything but...

Proscar is used to treat Benign hyperplasia of prostate at a dose of 5 mg Finasteride..
while baldness need only 1 mg..generally..

So above person wants to say u can purchase 5 mg finasteride and cut it...

reason maybe that proscar being 5 mg used for actual medical problem is cheap because of laws while finasteride is costly even though it is 1 mg.

I may be wrong because i do not know US rates of medicines..

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did not search anything but...

Proscar is used to treat Benign hyperplasia of prostate at a dose of 5 mg Finasteride..
while baldness need only 1 mg..generally..

So above person wants to say u can purchase 5 mg finasteride and cut it...

reason maybe that proscar being 5 mg used for actual medical problem is cheap because of laws while finasteride is costly even though it is 1 mg.

I may be wrong because i do not know US rates of medicines..
yep proscar is technically for bph and is much less expensive. I use proscar myself, its easy to cut with a razor or pill cutter
I used propecia for a month when i experimented with lower doses. Proscar has actually seemed to work better for me, but thats almost definitely bc i used propecia at lower doses. Just for the record though my dr (dr haber) recommends proscar to save money and alot of his patients do what i do

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion proscar is the Best choice. You get brand name finasteride and its even cheaper than generic propecia and considerably cheaper at that. I have a script for both and i doubt ill pay for propecia again . Proscar for life !! Haha jk, well actually im not:hairy:

Mr.Anonymouse

Reaction score
I'd just really like to thank everyone for giving me advice. It's quite helpful and nice.
You guys are a great community of people.