I Am More Bald After Minoxidil? Please Help

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I´m new to this forums and I need an advice from someone, who might had the same problem as me. I started with 5% liquid minoxidil Regaine 2 months ago for my frontal hair and temples, I had some shedding like its written in leaflet - I also experienced in the beginning some small greasy dandruffs, but nothing noticeable, my skin was not itchy/burning/reddish etc., but the problem is that shedding did not quite stopped even after 2 months and the situation now is like I´m more bald on the places, where I applied minoxidil - my skin is starting to shine in that places and its almost in the situation, that I should put Toppik or something like that on these places...
At the moment I´m using for like 14 days 5% liquid Kirkland, because I had to change to this brand, because the expiration date of Regaine has expired and I cannot get it anymore for some strange reason in my country. After using Kirkland I also started to notice dandruffs, but these are not greasy but they are rather dry and seems to be bigger than those I had from Regaine, however the skin is at least normal. I have read that some people experienced more shedding after changing brands, but I couldn´t say surely that its also my case.
I have read that it takes about 2-4 months to see some results, but this all seems not quite normal to me after that period of time and I´m starting to be afraid to continue with minoxidil. Before using minoxidil I lost about 30-50 hairs/day and now I´m losing about 40-80 hairs/day. I don´t see any regrow in the places where I apply it - I might find some small fluff in the temples, but that have far away from full-fledged hair + I could count them almost on my fingers. There is no regrow in the frontal and it doesn´t seems at the moment that there will any be...
I know that for some unlucky people minoxidil just won´t work - might this be my case?
What should I do now? Should I stop using it? Is there any chance, that these shedded hairs will growe back after stopping with minoxidil?
Thanks for advices.

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link man. So you think its normal in my case and I should continue using it? I have tried now for 2 days to put minoxidil just into the temples, where I have no hairs (just that fluff I mentioned) and not on the frontline and the shedding seems to decrease + the dandruffs seems to be decreased aswell...
According to the post it kinda seems that minoxidil should work for like 100% in almost every case, but is it really like that? I mean if I read the leaflet of minoxidil then why it says that if the shedding is not decreased/stopped in a few weeks and still persist, then I should stop using it (- or it is recomended to stop with/see a doctor)?

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link man. So you think its normal in my case and I should continue using it? I have tried now for 2 days to put minoxidil just into the temples, where I have no hairs (just that fluff I mentioned) and not on the frontline and the shedding seems to decrease + the dandruffs seems to be decreased aswell...
According to the post it kinda seems that minoxidil should work for like 100% in almost every case, but is it really like that? I mean if I read the leaflet of minoxidil then why it says that if the shedding is not decreased/stopped in a few weeks and still persist, then I should stop using it (- or it is recomended to stop with/see a doctor)?

It’s always good to see a doctor. What’s happening to you is pretty normal. You should also know that minoxidil is not a real long term solution for hair loss and does not work for everyone. Google “minoxidil efficiency” for more info. You’ll probably need some form of antiandrogen too. Finasteride is much more effective, but can potentially have more side effects.

Invest in visiting dermatologist. And read some articles about androgenic alopecia, DHT, Finasteride, and hairloss in general, so you are “prepared” which will make your visit more productive.

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know about the things like finasteride and that minoxidil is not stopping the DHT, but honestly finasteride is something that I just don´t want to use due to my age (24). At the moment I´m still using minoxidil only in the temples and the hairs look quite better than before and the shedding is still quite decreased + the dandruffs aswell (using 1 ml per day). Could this be also a sign that I´m just simply not lucky and the minoxidil just won´t work for me? Do you think, that if I could change to the foam version it will make any better results? I have read that for some people foam worked if they have been unlucky with liquid version, but some of them also report another shedding phase when they change to foam from liquid...