I am going to purchase a piece. Advice/Tips are appreciated.

teal929

Reaction score
Hey all 1st post here, but I have been lurking these forums for months now. I have done quite a bit of research before making this thread, so I just want to overall clear the air to get a full understanding of what I need/want to do here. Many suggestions I've read came from grincher, whom I hope reads this and can pitch in tips!

Where I stand currently:
- I'm turning 28 soon
- I already shave my head but I hate it, as it shows my hair transplant scar in the back. So I tend to grow my hair out a little past a 2. I don't mind shaving the top/bald spot on back to a 0 when wearing the piece. (just to answer any questions, my hair transplant was absolutely horrible. I still have to shave my forehead twice a day to remind myself of the mistake I made).
- I don't sweat really bad and my scalp isn't very oily, if anything it gets too dry a lot and I have really bad dandruff.
- I don't have hair on temples... more of a straight line going up to the top of head. (Vince Vaughn style)

What I've read that's best to do:
- Obviously make it look more natural. Since I don't have hair on temples, and I have a large head, I should go for a more graduated look and not extremely dense at first.
- Get a lace, and a skin piece.
- Read up in forums/youtube clips for DIY removal/clean/reattach. I imagine it's not that difficult, and I'm always up for challenges. I'm always for saving money.

Alright so with all of that said...

Which type is more durable? Lace or skin? What exactly is the difference in these? To my knowledge, skin is where you apply adhesive glue type stuff on the scalp, and apply tape inside the piece, and then Lace is where you only apply tape to your head - hense why they say it's "more breathable"?
So.. Let's say if I was diving 20 ft off a cliff into a lake... Will I have any troubles with a Lace? In this type of scnario is a skin piece a lot more durable?

How do I measure up the size of the piece I'm getting?

How do you dye your piece to look identical to your natural hair?

From my research I've seen custom pieces run anywhere around 3-400 USD, and need to be replaced every 3 months or so. Correct?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I'm so sick of wearing hats and after all these great testimonials I've seen in this thread and what not I feel it's time to get one now. I want my confidence in full swing again.

Thanks!!

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello

Some general advice

1. The amount of hair on the top of your head should be a lower density than the hair on the sides and back of your head

2. The hair at the front of your piece should again be a lower than the density elsewhere on the piece.

I find when I apply these two rules it gives me a natural look.

Lace tends to be "marginally" thicker - its still discrete and I love wearing it. Its longer lasting and more breathable than skin.

Skin is almost invisible to sight and to touch and I have a piece when needs be.

You can apply tape or glue to either lace or skin. People have their own preferences. With skin, I think glue better to maintain that touch invisibility.

You only need apply tape to the perimeter of a lace unit so the body of it is perforated with tiny holes that remain clear and air can circulate and moist evaporate.

Diving off a cliff is an extreme case, however, I have heard of no reported problems with this :) If you go for super tape or a 4-week hold glue its strong. It literally has to be ripped from your scalp so you can dive, swim, work up, run, shower etc. I have been in a car top down at 70 mph for 25 miles and no problems.

>>How do I measure up the size of the piece I'm getting?

There are some tutorials on youtube for this. Alternatively, your supplier should guide on on how they want it done; the three suppliers I have used have slight variations. Usually, they need a template and markings, but some can just ask for measurements.

If its custom made - you should be able to give a hair sample. If not then dyeing a piece is just like dyeing your natural hair. There are no special products needed. I sometimes dye my own units and its quite easy from a bottle.

Your price research seems about right for DIY.

Lace tends to be replaced every 6-months and skin every 3-months.

The absolute key is having confidence in an online supplier. They are not all equal. Some have very brittle and stiff pieces. Others have shedding issues.

You need to know its genuinely custom made from Remy hair that is new - so still soft and vibrant and was done just for you and not been on the shelf for 6-months at the wrong conditions with colour turning already!

teal929

Reaction score
grincher you're the man. Thanks! All these tips were just what I need. One more question.. Did you get your piece cut by a hair salon the first time? I'm no barber, so I'd hate to screw it up. But as we all know, barber's can screw s*** up just as easily.

So it looks like I'll go ahead and get the skin and lace ones each.. You said with the lace you only need to apply tape around the perimeter. So what about on the top... if someone pulled the hair up, it won't feel like a wig is attached around the sides? (I know the chance of that happenening is slim, but still).

Is it best to shave the area with a razor so the scalp is completely bald before applying these pieces? Or can I just grab clippers and trim it to the lowest possible, size 0.

I'm really excited about getting my piece(s) now. After doing research and going about purchasing the first piece correctly I'm sure I'll be really satisfied. It's really the people that don't do their research first and design their custom piece correctly are the ones who give it a bad name.

- - - Updated - - -

grincher you're the man. Thanks! All these tips were just what I need. One more question.. Did you get your piece cut by a hair salon the first time? I'm no barber, so I'd hate to screw it up. But as we all know, barber's can screw s*** up just as easily.

So it looks like I'll go ahead and get the skin and lace ones each.. You said with the lace you only need to apply tape around the perimeter. So what about on the top... if someone pulled the hair up, it won't feel like a wig is attached around the sides? (I know the chance of that happenening is slim, but still).

Is it best to shave the area with a razor so the scalp is completely bald before applying these pieces? Or can I just grab clippers and trim it to the lowest possible, size 0.

I'm really excited about getting my piece(s) now. After doing research and going about purchasing the first piece correctly I'm sure I'll be really satisfied. It's really the people that don't do their research first and design their custom piece correctly are the ones who give it a bad name.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You are right, but the first time, I would recommend a salon.

Clipper shave should be fine, even a #1. You then clipper shave it every reattachment. I DIY at home every 3 or 4 weeks, such as tonight in a bit. The whole process takes about 25 minutes and I just I watch an episode of my fav serial.

Every 6-weeks or so I just visit a local barber to blend it all nice and smart, though many lads do it all themselves.

The tape comes in different strength - from daily right up to 6-weeks. I go mid range and its very secure. Often less is more.