*** I am 30 and desperately thinning! HELP! ****

What has worked for YOU? Plz share your story!

• Rogaine?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herbal treatments? What brands?

• Vitamins? Which ones?

• Shampoos that remove DHT? Do they help? If so, which ones?

• Total voters

30&thinning

Reaction score
I am a 30 year old woman and just noticed I'm thinning and/or loosing my hair on top.

I recently cut my hair (was past my waist and curly) and that's when I noticed that you can see my scalp as the lady was cutting my hair. YIKES!

I just started Rogaine a few weeks ago. Haven't even finished my first bottle but have been toying with the idea of trying Follicare.

After reading all I can, I'm now thinking I'll buy my own herbal vitamins for hair loss, a shampoo that removes DHT and a 2% Minoxidil and hope for the best!

Please, if anyone would share their success and/or failure stories with WHATEVER you have used, I'll greatly appreciate it! Does Rogaine work? Follicare? Herbal vitamins? If so, what brands?

I was on Ortho-try-cyclen for years and just stopped a year ago. I know they say birth control pills CAUSE hair loss but I also read that high levels of testosterone in women can ALSO cause hair loss. I've been thinking of getting back on the pill to regulate my testosterone level. I have a dermatologist appt. next month, so we'll see if I have high levels of test. to begin with or maybe I need zinc since I am a vegetarian.

I will only wear my hair in a ponytail now! It does help to have my hubby assure me that he still loves me, lol but I want my hair back!

Desperatley looking for answers, secrets and all the help I can get!

Roxy :$

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Hi Roxy,

stick with the rogaine for a few months. Maybe add some copper peptides like tricomin. The only thing I'd suggest with the tricomin is to look into some dabber aplicators which will get it on the scalp more efficiently. They can be found at http://www.xandrox.com . Tricomin comes with a sprayer which wastes a lot on the hair. I know you've been looking for info on Follicare but honestly I doubt it does much of anything.
THe ideal place for you to be looking for information is http://www.heralopecia.com . The login you use here will work over there too. I beleive the forums section is down right now but I assume it should be back up soon.
In the mean time take good care of your hair. I'm a guy with long hair and I leave it in a pony tail all the time too.
Switching from cheap shampoos and conditioners (suave,pert) to the more expensive stuff (Nexxus, biolage, Nioxin) I beleive has helped my hair health in general. My favorite combo is Diametress(thickening) shampoo by Nexxus and Scalp Therapy Conditioner by Nioxin. I also use Biolage Conditioning Balm once in a while.
Pick up some Nizoral shampoo from your local drug store or grocery store. There are studies showing that it has some regrowth ability simular to 2% rogaine. Use it 2-3 times a week and let it sit on your scalp for at least 5 minutes. Condition as usual afterwards. Anyway, I hope this has helped you in some way. Please let me know if you have any questions.

30&thinning

Reaction score
Thanks BHD!

I can not begin to tell you how distraught I've been. :bigcry: I don't deal with stress very well. I have not been eating or sleeping "normal" since I've noticed I'm balding.

I know they say Rogaine will make you shed EVEN more for a few weeks to months (yikes!) but I have NOT lost all hope even though I have lost A LOT of hair since I started the treatment! :bawling:

I will try that shampoo though. I've read that several people use it.

This REALLY sucks! They can invent a pill to make almost every penis :dropmouth: hard but they can't come up with something that stops hair loss. Jeez!

I have NEVER realized how much hair really means! Every time I watch tv or am out and about, all I see is hair. It's just as much of our face as our eyes and mouth. :shock:

Aye! Sorry but I woke up feeling a little blue to say the least! :sulkoff:

Anyhoo, please if anyone can share their experiences with the MANY products you've used! I need to know what works and what doens't.

Pleeeeeease! :cry:

Happy New Year!

Roxy :$

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you should start rogaine %5 defo soon as possible 2x a day and non stop for 8 months, good luck and ofcourse try some good scalpe cleaning shampoos like nizoral !

G

30&thinning said:
ThanksBHD!

I can not begin to tell you how distraught I've been. :bigcry: I don't deal with stress very well. I have not been eating or sleeping "normal" since I've noticed I'm balding.

I hear ya. I had to be put on an anti-depressant in the first couple years of my hairloss. It helped quite a bit.

30&thinning said:
I know they say Rogaine will make you shed EVEN more for a few weeks to months (yikes!) but I have NOT lost all hope even though I have lost A LOT of hair since I started the treatment! :bawling:

Well it doesn't happen to everyone. So are you losing more hair now that you're on Rogaine? or has it just been the same daily loss? Either way stick with it.

30&thinning said:
I have NEVER realized how much hair really means! Every time I watch tv or am out and about, all I see is hair. It's just as much of our face as our eyes and mouth. :shock:

yea it's pretty horrible. Hopefully you'll be able to learn to deal with it. I suggest you look into talking to a psychologist or psychiatrist (spelling?)
if it's truly bothering you that much. It helped me out quite a bit in the beginning.
It must be pretty difficult for a woman to experience hairloss. However, it seems to be more accepted for a woman to cosmetically cover up their loss than a man. A woman would probably pull it off much better than a man too.
Have you ever looked into concealers? I hear Dermatch is really good. I've always been against concealers but from some of the posts here I've almost considered trying it.
The only problem I can think of is it would be a pain in the arse to use along with topical treatments such as minoxidil.
Anyways... I hope all works out well for you.

Scaredsal

Reaction score
Hey Roxy

I am so sorry to hear your pain .. I totally understand as do all the girls I too am 30 (well ok I admit nearly 31 .. eeek) but I noticed my thinning just after my 30th birthday adn i have been battling this hell for a year ...its been a very very traumatic year and I totally sympathise with your depession and obsession with hair ... its a complete b**ch to say the least ...

Just wanted to ask if you haev a diagnosis ? have you got Androgenetic Alopecia or is it just a case of Telogen Effluvium ? ..... what is your pattern ?.. I use rogaine 5% (I have Androgenetic Alopecia but in a male pattern) I DID go through a shed which was preety bad BUT I have had regrowth on the parting, vertex and crown .... NOT where I need it at the front though ......I would recommend it if you have the classic female pattern as its proven to work well (if succesful candiate) on this type of loss..

The girls on here are fantastic support ... they sure as hell helped me when I was in the pit of dispair .... its always good to know others are going through this and understand ... my friends really dont get the complete shame and embaressment ....

I hope you find something for you ... I am sure you will have success ..... lots of luck

Sally xx

G

Badhairdecade

Your pics are amazing! How did you get back so much of your hair? They are really incredible. Your hair looks great. Thanks.

Amy

Patttsy

Reaction score
Dear 30&thinning,

I am always sad to hear of someone else experiencing this situation. You will find so much support here, if it is any consolation. It is not until you are losing your hair that you become aware of how much hair (density and quality) shapes your identity and people's perceptions. I hope you are able to gain it back via one of the various regimes suggested.

Best wishes, Patttsy x.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Amy9 said:
Badhairdecade

Your pics are amazing! How did you get back so much of your hair? They are really incredible. Your hair looks great. Thanks.

Amy

Thanks Amy,
The pictures show a real improvment but it's still pretty thin. Much better than it was before though.
My results are from using 1mg finasteride and 5% minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo for about a year now.
I've also switched from cheap bargain shampoos and conditioners to the more $$ ones.

Zannie

Reaction score
Bad Hair Decade's Results!!!!

Holy Mother of Pete!!!!! :freaked: THOSE RESULTS ARE AMAZING!!!!!!

:roll: Boy! if I can be assured to have such success!

1mg finasteride and 5% minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo for about a year.

As you well may have predicted http://www.heralopecia.com encouraged me to GET REAL and get some Rogaine. This just may have been the push I needed!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CONTINUED SUCCESS BadHairDecade!!! Looks as if the next decade's gonna be great!

Zannie

Reaction score
Bad Hair Decade's Results!!!!

Holy Mother of Pete!!!!! :freaked: THOSE RESULTS ARE AMAZING!!!!!!

:roll: Boy! if I can be assured to have such success!

1mg finasteride and 5% minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo for about a year.

As you well may have predicted http://www.heralopecia.com encouraged me to GET REAL and get some Rogaine. This just may have been the push I needed!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CONTINUED SUCCESS BadHairDecade!!! Looks as if the next decade's gonna be great!