Hypothyroidism, reverse T3 dominance, no hairloss for the passed year

wishkid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys

I've been dealing with hairloss for the past 6 years and have finally made some head way

I haven't seen a single other post on this before

And seeing how hard it was for me to get a script for T3 (thyroid function problems usually are prescribed T4 or T4 and low does T3 on a ratio of 13:1)

I may be one of the first to tackle hairloss this way

My back story is that my hairloss started 6 months after i was extremely stressed, stress releases cortisol which inhibits the transformation of T4 to T3 (the active hormone). Instead T4 gets converted to RT3 which blocks the T3 function. T3 is essentially for hair growth, hence RT3 dominance inhibits hair growth.

When I got my blood tests my levels weren't too out of whack, my ratio of T3:RT3 was 1.4... only when this ratio reaches 1 is it medically considered a problem.

I still hassled doctors to give me a script for straight T3 and have been on it for ~3 months now - no regrowth but I'm essentially not losing any hair at all

I don't expect to have regrowth yet so i'll update again in 3 months

Just thought i should put this out there

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I may be one of the first to tackle hairloss this way

No, you're not.

Most are aware of the importance of healthy thyroid levels and function in relation to hair growth, at least those that care about their hair to begin with.

There's a little guy named Danny Roddy who's been around for years promoting low thyroid as the primary driver of male pattern baldness, followed by elevated prolactin, based on Ray Peat's research.

Last edited:

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, you're not.

Most are aware of the importance of healthy thyroid levels and function in relation to hair growth, at least those that care about their hair to begin with.

There's a little guy named Danny Roddy who's been around for years promoting low thyroid as the primary driver of male pattern baldness, followed by elevated prolactin, based on Ray Peat's research.
How do you maximize the thyroid angle for hair? Any sources.

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you maximize the thyroid angle for hair? Any sources.

Get thyroid panel done, and parathyroid. Get your TSH below 1.0 if it is elevated using supplemental T3.
Get prolactin below 7. Get plenty of calcium to help keep parathyroid hormone low.

Ofcourse, this is basically an alternate theory for male pattern baldness, but many people these days are hypothyroid without being aware of it. So it's something you should rule out if you're concerned about your hair.

Last edited:

wishkid

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, you're not.

Obviously I've seen both of these guys work

but it has barely being spoken about on this forum and nothing has been said on reverse t3

if people treat their hypothyroidism with T4 it may enhance the problem

I believe I have low grade Wilson's disease which led to my hairloss

I had original been diagnosed with male pattern baldness and was on finasteride for years which did help, but finasteride ups testosterone as a result of decreasing its conversion it DHT

increased Testosterone improves T3/T4 ratios

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but it has barely being spoken about on this forum and nothing has been said on reverse t3

Because thyroid isn't the issue for most here. But yes, I've mentioned thyroid on the forum before.