Hypothesis: male pattern baldness is merely a symptom of prostatitis

paul4ah

Reaction score
The recent findings of the Prostaglandin D2 protein has got me thinking. There does seem to be a strong link between male pattern baldness and the prostate gland. This prostaglandin D2 protein is produced in the prostate, the cures such as finasteride are based on prostate medicines, and I have read about correlations between the risk of prostate problems and male pattern baldness before. I wonder is MBP merely a symptom of prostatitis? Does the fact that women do not find baldness attractive indicate that there is an evolutionary instinct where women dislike it because it is indicative of an underlying health problem in her choice of mate?

I also had a recent trichomonal urinary tract infection which I was given the potent wide spectrum antibiotic Metronidazole to cure. Metronidazole is also one of the few antibiotics which easily penetrates the prostate gland. After the course completed, I noticed that my urine did not only flow easier than before the recent infection but flowed easier than I have ever felt it! Would that not indicate that I had had a long-term prostate problem? This got me thinking back to my youth - I am currently 29 and first noticed my hair thinning when I was around 15 and also remember what I now know to be occasional prostate pain when I was around 12/13 (this was dismissed at the time as merely "growing pains")

Well if my hypothesis is correct then I may no longer have male pattern baldness in a year's time! (Well, I always can dream and be hopeful ;) ) What does anyone else think about this hypothesis? Do any of you recollect occasional prostate pain slightly prior to the onset of your MBP? Have any of you been treated for prostatitis and noticed any ensuing improvement in your MBP? Are many of us on this site merely treating a symptom and not the cause?

paul4ah

Reaction score
Perhaps, though, I have merely been thrown off by the name "prostaglandin":
Prostaglandins were first discovered and isolated from human semen in the 1930s by Ulf von Euler of Sweden. Thinking they had come from the prostate gland, he named them prostaglandins. It has since been determined that they exist and are synthesized in virtually every cell of the body.

cs2

Reaction score
There is correlation of male pattern baldness with prostatitis. But no one knows how exactly the mechanism.

So I think if something is good to prostate gland, it MAY (i am not sure) also good to hair.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
then how would you explain how some bald people have NO prostate problems and yet some people with lots of hair have prostate problems?

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
2020 said:
then how would you explain how some bald people have NO prostate problems and yet some people with lots of hair have prostate problems?

How do you know that someone that doesn't show symptoms of prostate disease, or does not have any, can not produce a greater amount of prostaglandin D2 ?

How do you know that someone with a prostate disease will always produce more PGD2?

maradona

Established Member
Reaction score
cs2 said:
There is correlation of male pattern baldness with prostatitis. But no one knows how exactly the mechanism.

So I think if something is good to prostate gland, it MAY (i am not sure) also good to hair.

yeah caress and kiss your testicles/prostate for them to be strong and big, so they can produce more DHT and bald you faster.

:punk:

uncertainty

Reaction score
I have been told I pee like a pregnant woman or camel because I pee so frequently. I do not recall it being a problem before my hair started thinning. It is difficult to know the exact day or month when hair thinning begins, so I can not can not pin the starting point of both. But I believe they strarted roughly around the same time.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cavemen didn't have prostate problems and they were bald.... :whistle:

paul4ah

Reaction score
odalbak said:
2020 said:

How do you know that someone that doesn't show symptoms of prostate disease, or does not have any, can not produce a greater amount of prostaglandin D2 ?

How do you know that someone with a prostate disease will always produce more PGD2?
Symptoms is the key word here. I believe it is normal for many men to harbour various microbes in their prostate, yet not have noticable malign symptoms. (The prostate filters semen to try and keep it sterile).

There are of course many different diseases of the prostate. I too have noticed older men with prostate cancer and full heads of hair. Yet while infections of the prostate can make one more susceptable to cancer, the different conditions are not the same thing. Additionally, there is Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH - what finasteride is to treat) - a condition of excessive cell growth. The cause of BPH also being unknown. Could BPH be caused by an infection and the associated inflammatory immune response? (or an inflammatory auto-immune condition caused by a previously cleared infection?)

another hypothesis of mine is one related to the adrenal glands (my UTI was quite serious and actually led to a kidney infection and believe my adrenal glands became compressed due to inflamed kidneys, so have researched this part of the body too) ...

paul4ah

Reaction score
Auto-immune conditions are also one thing I strongly suspect. I have had spells of psoriasis on my nails too (little pits on my nails), and also eczema (dyshidrosis on hands and feet, as will as otitis externa). Anyone else also been suffering from similar mild auto-immune conditions?

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so if you were to fix prostatitis problem, then that means that male pattern baldness process could be stopped? I find that hard to believe... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

mad_hatter

Reaction score
I kind of support this. It's the same road of thought for me.. I totally think the main (but not only) cause is of the prostate. Thinking back, I started experiencing prostate problems the same time my hair started shedding in the shower which was summer 2011 (diffuse crown thinning by the way). I too had difficulty urinating and still do, it takes a lot more effort as if I'm gonna ****. And also, I have to urinate more frequently. I gave it a few months for the hairs to grow back just in case it was telogen effluvium. I haven't started treatment yet as my hair is still good enough to cover my scalp somewhat.

I agree with this topic because I don't think you can "cure" male pattern baldness by JUST treating male pattern baldness. IF that were the case, in my opinion male pattern baldness would be sort of like an infection and all you would need would be a shampoo/cream/foam whatever and/or a pill/tablet for 3 weeks and it would just go away like that. I think If you start from the prostate, it would totally be a huge step. Why else do you think finasteride causes the more significant effects? It effects the prostate which also effects everything else.. good AND bad. (hair growth, loss of libido). The amount of DHT is effected.

I'm still noob sauce with all this stuff so I don't mind if someone shreds my opinions but I think the larger amounts of DHT act like criminals running around vandalizing everything. we NEED DHT but the increased amount of DHT doesn't come out of nowhere, to me it increases when the size of the prostate increases. And as for the "vandalizing everything else", this is where it gets tricky. Hormones and their imbalances. I think this is why its so difficult for scientists AND us to figure out how to cure this. I know the prostate should be the start but now I think its a matter of determining the other things to take care of such as: what other things were effected, how to treat them and if there is a certain order to treat them. I think finasteride is the short cut because it totally just "takes care" of everything by pretty much destroying things in the long run just so you can lower your DHT levels. I'm actually gonna start another thread of this topic so I can explain more.