Hw long until you should go for an hair transplant?

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am shedding only on my crown pretty much. Although, I do have some thinning on the frontal region, along with some receding. I just want to know how long I should wait until I go in for a consultation and go for it. I am 25 and a mild Norwood 3V.

Will it look funny if I get an hair transplant and then more original hair falls out later?

Does anybody know if the hair in the donor site grows back, or is it just a follicle deprived region? Any feedback is appreciated. :D

Axon

Reaction score
Hair in the donor site does not grow back. In all instances, it leaves a scar from where it is removed. Strip surgery leaves a bigger scar than FUE style surgery.

You can always go for a consultation, but choose your surgeon carefully. Take a look at some of the worse scars that guys have had done to them.

G

You should get on the big three for at least a year before getting hair transplant. This will likely change the hair transplant strategy for you.

Brucelee

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce. That is exactly what I am going to do now. I've been on the minoxidil for only a couple weeks, and Finasteride is in the mail. Man I pray something good comes out of this. Alot of money, work, and stress for nothing in the end.

Has anybody experienced any positives on Progaine shampoo? The volumizing one. I don't have a real itchy or inflamed scalp, so I don't think I need the nizoral. shampoo.

G

I would suggest that you use the Nizoral shampoo every third day anyway. The 1% is actually a nice shampoo and the research supports it use with Finasteride and minoxidil even in the absence of OBVIOUS inflammation.

The data suggests in is synergistic with them drugs.

Good luck

Brucelee

hairlimmer

Reaction score
nomad

I would recommend maximizing your medical treatment as you appear to be doing. I would take photos of your current state so you can see how things progress over the next 12-18 months. I would not recommend transplantation on the crown in some one as young as you. This can create a lot of unhappiness in the future if you lose more hair. No one has a crystal ball to be able to see how little or extensive your baldness might ultimately be. While it would not hurt you to see someone in consultation evaluating you and making sure you are doing everything you can for your hair, I would be very careful if someone recommends surgery at this time. Don't get frustrated with medical treatment and quit after 6 mnths, I have seen peolpe that 12-24 months to realize the value of medical treatment. Picture are a great way to evaluate progress or lack there of as we tend to forget what we looked like 1 or 2 years earlier.

Good Luck,
Brad Limmer, MD/jal :wink:

nomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Very informational. I appreciate the advice and input. I have thought about this thing alot lately, and I am confident that I am going about it the right way for now. I just went to the hairdresser (chick is firing hot), and she told me not to worry about going thin, and not to get surgery. As far as she and her friends are concerned, it is more of a turn off to see such vanity in men. I don't know, that works for me. Well, I am going to stick firm to my regimen for a year at least, and see what happens. Thanks again.