How would you apply topical spironolactone to longer hair?

G

I am considering adding topical spironolactone but I am worried that the cream or lotion (from Dr. Lee) can only be applied to people with short hair because it's not a liquid like Rogaine or Tricomin?

I am a diffuse thinner all over my scalp with no areas of visible skin except when wet and I would like to apply spironolactone all over my scalp which is covered with long hair (8 inches).

Is this possible?

Will having long hair just make it more difficult to apply but still be possible?

Is there a liquid consentration available?

Thanks

P.S. Please do not comment on my long hair as to making me look worse because I know this. My hope is that I start improving while I still have long hair so I won't have to cut it. Short hair would look too utilitarian for me even if I was a norwood 7!

fallout

Reaction score
You dont have to cover your whole scalp. I apply the5% by parting the hair in the middle, and two inches to either side. I apply once a day, in the pm. Two ounces of product, whether its 2% liquid or 5% cream last a month.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fallout said:
You dont have to cover your whole scalp. I apply the5% by parting the hair in the middle, and two inches to either side. I apply once a day, in the pm. Two ounces of product, whether its 2% liquid or 5% cream last a month.

It sounds like you must be using a pretty big glob of spironolactone cream.

G

Yeah really, I heard that a container of 5% spironolactone would last a long time, not 1 month.

Further more, are you sure that your applying spironolactone correctly because I would assume that maximum absroption would be achieved only with a full systematic coverage of the topical because of it's systemic metabolising affinity (only locally metabolized, or so I've read)?

Seriously, this is my last hope for battling male pattern baldness.

I believe that by blocking the androgen receptors completely is the true cure for baldness but the trick is to only block the androgen receptors in the hair follicles that are pre-disposed for hereditary atrophy because of the receptors and the Hormones that bind to them, as opposed to all androgen receptors throughout the body responsible for keeping the body healthy and at its maximum efficiancy. Only then would a DHT inhibitor like Finasteride or Dutasteride be effective at completly halting male pattern baldness explaining why only some can benifit from just a DHT inhibitor and some see no results.

The question then is why wouldn't an antiandrogen that is capable of completely blocking ALL androgen recepters locally in all hair follicles of the scalp be a complete and life long treatment of male pattern baldness, and would this treatment be topical Spironolactone? Or does it have to do with that topical Spironolactone cannot reach all androgen receptors in the scalp through absorption through the scalp? Is there other factors at play and would this prove anything?

Thanks

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
> Is there a liquid consentration available?

Dr. Lee's 2% is in liquid form.

G

I've decided to order both 2% and 5% and I will see which one is easier.

I can always make my own I suppose.

Thanks guys

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Paradise Lost said:
I've decided to order both 2% and 5% and I will see which one is easier.

I can always make my own I suppose.

Thanks guys

Lee's 2% comes with a roller / dabber end which you might find inconvenient to use w/ your longer hair. I used to pull off that dabber end, and pour his 2% liquid into a cleaned out minoxidil bottle w/ a dropper.

(you'll see what I mean).

G

I would agree 100% on the price factor Dave001 as all his products are like this. But what I'm doing is adding this to my regimen anew and I trust Dr. Lee and the quality of his products but eventually I'll probobly buy Aldactone and make my own topical solution if I decide to continue using spironolactone.

Dave001, what did you think of the question that I stated on my post above about the drug Spironolactone used for treating male pattern baldness?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Paradise Lost said:
The question then is why wouldn't an antiandrogen that is capable of completely blocking ALL androgen recepters locally in all hair follicles of the scalp be a complete and life long treatment of male pattern baldness, and would this treatment be topical Spironolactone? Or does it have to do with that topical Spironolactone cannot reach all androgen receptors in the scalp through absorption through the scalp? Is there other factors at play and would this prove anything?

I think it's pretty clear from the animal experiments that for whatever reason(s), topical spironolactone just isn't as effective as an antiandrogen as, for example, topical RU58841. But considering that RU is very expensive and very difficult to get, topical spironolactone is certainly better than nothing.

Bryan

michael barry

Reaction score
Bryan,
Have you seen anything that Dr. Peter Proctor has wrote on those transdermal mites? I read an article that postulated that they might be what causes a massive immune response in some people (we are all supposedly infested with them at middle age <YUCK>) and was wondering what Proctor thought about this..................and didnt see anything on it, but figured if anyone would know, you would. Thanx, M