How will stem cells (Follica, Replicel) work?

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand that follica and replicel are working on treatment that involves injecting stemcells into your scalp.

Will the injections make hair grown everywhere on your scalp? i.e. will it give you an NW0 hairline?

What's stopping these treatments growing hair on your forehead? It would be a disaster if they grew hair beyond your hairline.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I understand that follica and replicel are working on treatment that involves injecting stemcells into your scalp.

Will the injections make hair grown everywhere on your scalp? i.e. will it give you an NW0 hairline?

What's stopping these treatments growing hair on your forehead? It would be a disaster if they grew hair beyond your hairline.
From what I have heard from one hair loss transplant expert was that even if these future treatments work, the hairline is going to be the toughest to treat still and a hair transplant will still be necessary in most cases. The difference will be, you will have enough donor hair to do this so higher NWs may be able to get more coverage to give basically a "cosmetic cure". I don't think you will grow hair beyond areas where you never had hair. So far the results of trials have been only marginally impressive. Hair transplantation is still going to be necessary for most.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Replicel is trying to push this forward faster in Asia having partnered with Shseido, a cosmetics giant -- a cosmetics company?? This is a joke...forget about Replicel...

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard from one hair loss transplant expert was that even if these future treatments work, the hairline is going to be the toughest to treat still and a hair transplant will still be necessary in most cases. The difference will be, you will have enough donor hair to do this so higher NWs may be able to get more coverage to give basically a "cosmetic cure". I don't think you will grow hair beyond areas where you never had hair. So far the results of trials have been only marginally impressive. Hair transplantation is still going to be necessary for most.

Also, what about the crown? How will they get the whirl right?
I read that they were able to grow hair on a mouse's foot, an area where hair never grows, so that's why I'm concerned that they might grown hair on the forehead.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
The whirl has to do with the angle you hair follicles are positioned genetically. Your hair will grown based on those angles and not on a growth stimulant.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I see. So these treatments will just reawaken old follicles instead of creating brand new ones?

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
2 different approaches. You cannot lump these companies together. Replicel is giving active hair a boost with the outside chance of spurning "new growth". Follica is about creating "new" follicles and turning that "new hair" terminal, with an outside chance of making those terminal hairs DHT neutral/resistant.

LuckySlevin

Reaction score
I see. So these treatments will just reawaken old follicles instead of creating brand new ones?

From what i saw in their presentations, it seems to me that they will be able to create brand new strands of hair they even mentioned it, i read all of their articles and seems very legit to me. They are suppose to start their phase 2 now till 2015. they pattented all their technology and everyday the hype of their research grows more. More people are seeing they research more people are following them on the social networks as in twitter and facebook . This could happen in the near future 2015 man, It is the future.

As for Sparx4444's comment : it is very logical that they would partner with a cosmetic giant such as shiseido given the fact that having hair is considered esthetic, its an accesory, its beauty. Since they partnered up with them the marketing will become easier and their distribution network is going to be better since they will get the product to the public faster. It is very smart on the business perspectice.