How true is "If your moms dad wasnt bald, you wont be" ?

adamt

Reaction score
As my moms dad wasnt bald, just receeded, i wonder if this statement has any truth.

If your moms dad didnt go bald, does that mean you wont?
My dad is bald by the way.

I have just a thinning on the front of the head, and slightly receded,
Im 24

thanks

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
i think uncles on ur mums side are more important cause u get to see what genes were given to ur mum, my three uncles on that sides had full heads of hair past their fourties, one even past his fifties.

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score
It isn't true that if any specific relative of yours is/isn't bald you will/won't be one too. You can have no hairloss in your family but you can still get that gene from one motherf***** who has died let's say 60 years ago. It's the genes. My uncle is bald while my dad has a full head of hair. Their mother's dad or mother-side-uncles were same, LOL.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
ivangennaro said:
It isn't true that if any specific relative of yours is/isn't bald you will/won't be one too. You can have no hairloss in your family but you can still get that gene from one motherf***** who has died let's say 60 years ago. It's the genes. My uncle is bald while my dad has a full head of hair. Their mother's dad or mother-side-uncles were same, LOL.

yes thats true but its all about PROBABILITY.

Cassin

Reaction score
Both my grandfathers died with all their hair in their 90's...both even had some of their original hair color.

Mother nature is a dirty wh*** who is going to do whatever she wants to do.

:badmood:

Autumn Sundown

Established Member
Reaction score
You can inherit anyone's hairloss pattern. My dad's side is generally NW2.5+ by my age but I still have a juvenile hairline like my mother's father.
My dad, however, had thick heads of hair on his mother's side but a bald dad and he ended up going bald very young.

Genes are crazy.

adamt

Reaction score
ok looks like its more of a myth/coincidence then!

is there anything i should avoid to prevent further hair thinning/receeding?

ive recently started washing my hair twice a week with Nizoral 2% shampoo

Hasbiqious

Reaction score
Mothers father hair...

Its a myth, i'm 30 years old with a norwood 1, my mothers father was completely bald, my dad is 62 with a thick norwood 2, and his mothers father was also completely bald.... sounds like some repeated myth that makes no logical sense... why would you randomly inherit the whole destiny of your hair from one quarter of your genetic picture, your mothers father i;m sure plays a part, but no more than your mothers mother or fathers father... unless you can show me its true every time...its not a fact. Why am i not bald, or my dad, we both have bald maternal grandfathers??!!!!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your mother inherits two copies (alleles) of every gene, one from here father, one from her mother. Assuming your maternal grandfather was bald young (mine was), you have a 50% of inheriting this bad gene from your mother. You may also inherit the copy she inherited from her mother, which may be better or worse than the one she inherited from your father. Men have two copies of most genes, except the genes in the sex hormones where the male Y chromosome often does not have a complimentary allele. If baldness factors are on the Y chromosome, then this will be determined by your mother, not your father. However the gene you inherit from her may come from her paternal line or her maternal line, so even if her father is bald you may escape.

I did not, my father started balding in his 40s, but I started balding in my mid 20s, maybe even early 20s, just like my maternal grandfather. I'm certain that I inherited this bad gene from my mother's paternal line.

I'd say if your maternal grandfather is bald you have a high chance of taking after him (up to 50%), depending on if your maternal grandmother has good or bad copies of the same genes.