How to use zix with minoxidil? Any tips

thekingofbomp

My Regimen
Reaction score
How to use zix with minoxidil? Rn i am applying zix around 9pm and applying minoxidil at 11pm. Is this good? I heard that zix can cancel minoxidil. Is it better to use minoxidil first?

Can't apply topicals in the morning cause I am busy all day.

Thor9

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the only study I am aware of which tested zinc + min:

Results: Hair count results showed a significant (P < 0.05) net increase in total visible hair counts for the 1% pyrithione zinc shampoo, the 5% minoxidil topical solution, and the combination treatment groups relative to the placebo shampoo after 9 weeks of treatment. The relative increase in hair count for the 1% pyrithione zinc shampoo was slightly less than half that for the minoxidil topical solution and was essentially maintained throughout the 26-week treatment period. No advantage was seen in using both the 5% minoxidil topical solution and the 1% pyrithione zinc shampoo. A small increase in hair diameter was observed for the minoxidil-containing treatment groups at week 17. Assessments of global improvements by the patients and investigator generally showed the benefit of 5% minoxidil. The benefit of the 1% pyrithione zinc shampoo used alone tended (P < 0.1) to be apparent only to the investigator.

I've also seen it mentioned many times that zinc can interfere with minoxidil but I haven't see any study which would back up that claim.

Zeruko

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Minoxidil in the evening and Zix in the morning and have done for the past 2 years.

Like Thor9 says, I don't think Zinc interferes with the action of Minoxidil at all, just a rumour as far as I can tell.

On Mondays I do micro-needling in the evening so I apply both Zix and Minoxidil that morning because I don't apply Minoxidil for 24 hours after.
I've also applied both on mornings where I'm traveling and I haven't noticed an uptick in the "itch" due to doing this.

Your current regimen is fine as well but I don't think you need to wait 2 hours between application, 15 mins max imo.

Zeruko

My Regimen
Reaction score
How are your results? And have any sides?
For the first year Zix worked really well combined with Minoxidil. The itch which had returned after 3-4 years on Minoxidil but after only 2 days on Zix the itch went away and the quality of my hair drastically improved. Hair became very shiny and healthy looking, so I have faith in Zix as a mild anti-androgen.
I get no sides from Zix at all.

My hair loss seems to have progressed again so I've added micro-needling and daily scalp massages to my regime which seems to have halted further progression for now.

I can't use other anti-androgens as I get sexual sides every time (have tried saw palmetto, Finasteride and even ru58841 recently which I experienced heart problems with as well).

Zeruko

My Regimen
Reaction score
What type of zinc do you use for your zix?
Zinc Sulphate 50mg, brand is MAJOR.

I actually bought the set of vitamins etc from the advinfoprod site to make sure I was using the right stuff, but I don't think there's any need to do this.

Zeruko

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've actually just started a private chat with Worm about this sediment issue.

I've been using a particular Ethyl Alcohol 70% product for Zix up until now when I sourced a different brand.

The only difference between the two ethyl alcohols is that one is denatured with Cetrimide 0.25-0.3%.

You can see here: that the Zix using the denatured ethyl alcohol has no 'scum' on the top and is this clean looking yellow liquid.
This is the version I've been using up until now with some success.

The pure ethyl alcohol version: has this layer of scum and looks to have failed to absorb a lot of the zinc.
I've yet to use this one as it just looks wrong but it makes little sense to me that the lack of Cetrimide is causing this formulation to go wrong.

Both have a white sediment which forms at the bottom but gets used up over time, it is gone by the time I finish the bottle of Zix each time so I'm not worried about it.