How to use topicals when you have most of your hair (Bryan)?

jharsh80

Reaction score
For the last 8 years I have blocked dht conversion internally with grave sexually related consequences. I have maintained most of my hair, just slight reccesion. If I were to switch from an oral regimen to a topical one, how the hell could I apply something to my scalp when it is covered with hair, and what would that something be? Bryan I know that you are all about the topicals but what if you are just trying to maintain what you have and don't have a bald area to apply them to? What would you suggest?

Since I am trying to avoid the sexual side effects, if anyone has a remedy for that (that ACTUALLY works) I'm all ears too. Please read my other post "has anyone found a remedy to sexual side effects?"

tomsmith

Established Member
Reaction score
You would use Spironolactone 5% from Dr Lee.

You would take a thin comb and part your hair straight down the middle. Lightly dip your finger in the spironolactone tub so you have a small pea size amount and rub it straight down the part into the root of the hair. Make similar partings to the left and right and then just rub along the hairline.

I can't say how effective spironolactone would be on it’s own, but it is an easy, quick alternative to oral treatments. I've found it to be a good treatment combined with the usual suspects, but sometimes when I have to drop meds for a while it’s saved me a lot of (potential) lost ground.

CCS

Reaction score
I drip it around and then spread it around with the dropper. adn I dilute my minoxidil with everclear so I can apply 2mL instead of 1mL.

jharsh80

Reaction score
I could only apply the spironolactone and minoxidil once a day at night though because it would smell during the day if I did it in the morning right?

I would be worried that I wasn't getting enough blockage 24/7. That's the one thing that's reassuring about avodart is that you know it is constantly working.

tomsmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Spironolactone 5% does not smell at all.

It will probably have some kind of odor if you mix it with Minoxidil. Have you been using minoxidil on areas that are not currently thinning? If not then there would be no interaction between the two as you should be using the minoxidil on bald areas or suspect zones. spironolactone you can use as a preventative measure anywhere you like.

Be selective, you don't have to apply the spironolactone everywhere.

G

tom, how is the oral spironolactone working out for you? how long have you been taking it?

tomsmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Since April of this year really. I've been off it for the past 3 months (a few doses here and there) as I am having surgery on the 14th of December and at the dose I was taking it would be silly not to quit.

As for the results, oral spironolactone can be very effective. It stops all sebum production which means no oil anywhere (my spots are returning as is my nasty greasy skin). It has an effect on testosterone - I won't say it blocks it as that would be incorrect, but that’s what it appears to do. So it allows for optimal scalp condition and eliminates test and dht (no I won't provide a link to that for anyone reading- I can't prove it) :)

Along with a solid topical routine it can provide a very powerful addition. However, look around and you will see that it is probably the least popular treatment. I mean, people will use things that don't actually do anything over using spironolactone. The side effects are varied and in some cases, dangerous.

Socks is the only other person I know that has been using spironolactone longer than me. There was a guy on HLH that used it for 2 years and had to have surgery to remove breast lumps. Using spironolactone isn't an option for most people.