How to tell my GF

Sativa

Reaction score
Me and my GF have been together for 4 months now, and she doesnt even know i have a receeded as f*** forehead .. i always keep my hair down, and always find an excuse when she starts messing with my hair (ooh gotta check for status updates on Facebook f.x)

Im guessing she must have noticed my receeding hairline at some point, but, how does one start a conversation like that? and just thinking about mentioning to her im on hairloss medication.. guessing it would freak her somewhat out..

The thing is, im on nizoral and propecia .. im gonna give rogaine a shot, and i have no clue how to keep THAT a secret for her, since i have to use it twice a day.

Hoppi

Reaction score
You know.. I was with a girl for only a short time fairly recently, and I didn't really worry at all about telling her. Just because it's mega common, and... it's important to be able to open up about stuff like that to the person you're with, right? :)

Of course I don't know your exact situation in detail, but that's just the way I feel about stuff!

I think I talked about it / worried about it too much though (like I do on here) which is something I'm currently working on :) So just like, don't make too big a deal out of it like I did!!

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Why would you even want to talk about it? Let her rub your hair I buet she doesn't give a sh*t.

IronLionZion

Reaction score
Sativa said:
Me and my GF have been together for 4 months now, and she doesnt even know i have a receeded as f*ck forehead .. i always keep my hair down, and always find an excuse when she starts messing with my hair (ooh gotta check for status updates on Facebook f.x)

Im guessing she must have noticed my receeding hairline at some point, but, how does one start a conversation like that? and just thinking about mentioning to her im on hairloss medication.. guessing it would freak her somewhat out..

The thing is, im on nizoral and propecia .. im gonna give rogaine a shot, and i have no clue how to keep THAT a secret for her, since i have to use it twice a day.

You're being silly. She is your girlffriend - she knows exactly what you're hair looks like, whether you let her run her fingers through it or not. She doesn't care. You're the only one who cares.

Sativa

Reaction score
mm, well, i want to tell her.. i dont want her rubbing my hair after we go to bed, and notice my hair is all sticky from minoxidil or something and not knowing wtf it is ..

My hairloss has affected my confidence quite alot. but i dont want her to see that side of me.. how do i like, bring up the conversation about my hairloss in a calm way, which doesnt leave the impression of me being a guy with very low confidence?

Hoppi

Reaction score
Sativa said:
mm, well, i want to tell her.. i dont want her rubbing my hair after we go to bed, and notice my hair is all sticky from minoxidil or something and not knowing wtf it is ..

My hairloss has affected my confidence quite alot. but i dont want her to see that side of me.. how do i like, bring up the conversation about my hairloss in a calm way, which doesnt leave the impression of me being a guy with very low confidence?

I don't think it implies low confidence that you want to keep your hair. My hair loss has hit my confidence, but it's because I like my appearance so much that I want to keep it. If you confidence was that low, you wouldn't care about it!

I brought it up fairly casually with a girl I was with. I usually just phrase it in ways like "usual guy's hair problems" and stuff, or mess around like I'm cursing my male genes! lol

I don't really make it out to be a weird thing, because I know it's not. The only part that's unusual is we are treating it instead of just letting it go. And that's not really a bad thing at all is it? :)

Most of my friends know I've had hair issues as it's been mentioned at some point or another. It doesn't bother me that they know to be honest because it's so common!

Hoppi

Reaction score
Captain Combover said:
Use Rogaine foam instead of liquid, drys in 10mins. I have been seeing a girl for the last 2mths. Im 33, she is 28. I told her after 4wks of seeing her. She thought it was hilarious and told me none of that stuff works. Well after showing her photos, she was gobsmacked. She did'nt care, her attitude is, if you don't want to go bald, why not do something about it. Attitudes for male grooming have changed in the last 20yrs. My step dad thought i was gay 10yrs ago because i used skin cream, now he uses the stuff himself. If you don't tell her you will have too be sneaky, secretive and it will just mess up your relationship. If she is a nice decent person, she will be glad you told her and will probably think your sweet and you will get laid more.

and oh yeah I remember that kind of thinking!

I used to hear that from people a while ago too. It's because a while back, like the 80s and 90s, it really was super hard to treat and most treatments were bogus. So I guess most people still think it's like that. We only know so much about it because we're going through it I guess :)

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Tell your gf that you are far from bald (cuz you are) then she will agree with you then the two of you can go about your charmed life.

johnbbbb

Reaction score
C'mon man, your girlfriend isn't going to kick you to the curb because you're a Norwood 2. It's not like she's going to think "OMG my boyfriend has a mature hairline!! Eewww gross, what a loser!"

Sativa

Reaction score
See quite alot of u telling me i shouldnt worry as a nw2 or something.
had no clue what u meant with nw2, so i googled it.. my hairloss doesnt really look like any of the pictures in the norwood list.. it has receeded alot, not only temples, but middle aswell, so i dont have the V shape, but more like a f*****g huge forehead. So yeah, its not like my hairloss isnt noticeable, or like only receeded to a mature hairline .. loads of hair on crown though, so yeah, what norwood am i? :p

But yeah.. Thanks for the replies guys. Think im gonna go with the 'cursing my male genes' approach. :)

OH yeah, offtopic btw: how long does it take for rogaine liquid to dry?

also, i asked about rogaine a couple months back, and obviously they only had rogaine liquid, and i could only but 2% over the counter .. needed a prescription for 5%.. which i think is also bought over the counter in most places? obviuosly not here (scandinavia) .. but how effective is 2% compared to 5%?

ThisBlows

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Tell your gf that you are far from bald (cuz you are) then she will agree with you then the two of you can go about your charmed life.

STFU. :puke:

For years i occasionally check this forum and you are always the same.

This is a hairloss site. If somebody is receding, they are allowed to grieve.

Now do everyone a favor and stop pissing and moaning and start trying to help people. While you're at it get some help for yourself.

s.a.f

Reaction score
He is helping people, by showing them perspective of their situation compared to his. :whistle:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Alright, patronizing attitude aside, it's not like OP's gf doesn't know what he looks like. She must like what she sees or else she wouldn't be with him.

Sativa

Reaction score
well, i have a long fringe ... i do a comb down, and hide my forehead as best as i can, and i dont believe she has ever seen my forehead with hair pulled backwards

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Don't tell her. And if she says anything about it "Oh wow, you have a receding hairline!" just make a witty reply like "You know what they say...men with receding hairlines have more testosterone" (untrue, but that's a common misconception, and you're saying it in a joking manner)

If you act insecure about it, she's going to notice. By not telling her about it, you're saying to her that you don't care, even if you do, and that is a huge turn off for women.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If she makes an :shock: face and dumps you not long after you show her your hairline pulled back I think you can safely say you dodged a bullet in the long run.

Women are bonkers - she's likely posting on another forum wondering how her boyfriend is going to react when he sees her without makeup!