How To Stop Shine Through Lace ?? And Queries Re Knot Sealers, Etc.

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone got any advice, tips or products to stop the glue from glaring through my lace at the front? (My "hair" is styled with an exposed hairline).
I've tried Ghostbond XL (too many problems with getting it wet styling my hair before it had fully cured) and am currently using Walker Ultra Hold adhesive. I'm neat and methodical and brush it on carefully with a sable art brush. I've tried applying thin layers and waiting for each to dry before applying another thin layer. But as soon as I put the second layer on it just never dries in the same, and it always looks shiny and feels tacky when I'm wearing the system.
Would a scalp protector help?

Also, what's the verdict on knot sealers? I've had trouble with systems shedding at the hairline, and I wondered if they help. I notice the main ingredient of Walkers Top-Loc is alcohol, but I thought it was best to avoid leaving products with alcohol on the hair? I've certainly noticed an improvement since I started using alcohol-free hairspray.
Thanks...

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. You can use a hair dryer, at a low setting to dry the adhesive. Scalp protector won't have an effect. And it also, is a bit shiny at the beginning.

2. If that doesn't not alleviate the shine issue, you can use a bit of matt makeup that matches your scalp color, dab it lightly through the lace. And just a small bit to hide the shine.

3. The alcohol evaporates and is only on the lace, it doesn't sit on the entire hair... they wouldn't make a product that destroys the hair. The issue are gels that are very heavy on the alcohol, coat the entire hair shaft, and don't always completely dry.

4. I, personally found knot sealers a waste of time. I well-made system should not drastically shed.

Reactions: TEG

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. You can use a hair dryer, at a low setting to dry the adhesive. Scalp protector won't have an effect. And it also, is a bit shiny at the beginning.

2. If that doesn't not alleviate the shine issue, you can use a bit of matt makeup that matches your scalp color, dab it lightly through the lace. And just a small bit to hide the shine.

Thank you. I actually already use a hairdryer between applications :(. I've also tried using a mattifying powder, but I find the glue looses the bond within a day when I do that.
I must have some weird skin chemistry. I don't really sweat much except when sleeping, and my skin is bone-dry, so I have no idea why the glue doesn't seem to fully cure on it.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. I actually already use a hairdryer between applications :(. I've also tried using a mattifying powder, but I find the glue looses the bond within a day when I do that.
I must have some weird skin chemistry. I don't really sweat much except when sleeping, and my skin is bone-dry, so I have no idea why the glue doesn't seem to fully cure on it.

Switch to tape?

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i agree with baldbearded on his 2nd statement. Using women's powered makeup on the piece. I have a loose powder that almost exactly matches my skin tone. This works very well to cover up any shine and it is not going anywhere because you are applying it to a sticky surface

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i agree with baldbearded on his 2nd statement. Using women's powered makeup on the piece. I have a loose powder that almost exactly matches my skin tone. This works very well to cover up any shine and it is not going anywhere because you are applying it to a sticky surface

Will this work on UTS too?

I'm having a real problem with shine lately, which is making an exposed hairline very difficult.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will this work on UTS too?

I'm having a real problem with shine lately, which is making an exposed hairline very difficult.

So for you, I guessing the shine is coming from the base itself?

So... the only thing is that with a powdered makeup... it sticks to the glue in the tape. I don't know how well it would stay on the skin. I reckon you can always try it...

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi BB

Yes the base or the glue underneath is making the UTS too obvious, very unlike the pics I posted when the system was new a couple of months ago. It's almost like the UTS degrades after a few weeks, so that it isn't ever really invisible any more.

I've tried so many things (as you might imagine) but so far no real luck.

I've also tried True Tape StopShine but it did not work even in the slightest, so I would not recommend it.