How To Rescue An Aged Hairline? (pics)

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m wondering if there is any hope to restore the hairline area of an aging piece that’s lost a decent amount of hair. Is it as simple as trimming a little of the base away? I should mention it’s a .03 skin base that’s just under 3 months old... it’s holding up pretty well in every other area. I have not trimmed anything since I got it

Will attach a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 367

Noah

Reaction score
With a lace piece you can have hair added to bald spots. I don't think you can do that with skin pieces though. Maybe BaldBearded can confirm?

If you can't, you may as well try trimming the bald area off. It looks like it would work OK. The only thing is it will give you a different shaped - less convex - hairline contour from what you had before, which may be rather a giveaway that you are wearing.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, in this case you COULD possibly trim it, but that would create a different hairline, and then what do you do with the next one?

.03 systems are sold with the idea that they last from 1-2 months, max. You can't add hair. I would get another one, and bin this one. You can always brush forward until you get the replacement.

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I have a fresh system install booked for a week from today, will probably just brush forward until then and then trim it once I have another one... maybe it can still be used as
A backup. Will post the results when I do that

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I have a fresh system install booked for a week from today, will probably just brush forward until then and then trim it once I have another one... maybe it can still be used as
A backup. Will post the results when I do that

Excellent, please do, always love seeing real results!

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll tell you what I've found useful - keeping my old hair fibres and hair concealer powder so I can use them to cover any minor little blemishes on a hair system. I used hair concealers for years, and was going to throw them away when I got my first hair system. Luckily I kept them, because I was able to use the concealer powder to over some cover some small blemishes on the hairline and the crown of my first system to make it wearable.

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll tell you what I've found useful - keeping my old hair fibres and hair concealer powder so I can use them to cover any minor little blemishes on a hair system. I used hair concealers for years, and was going to throw them away when I got my first hair system. Luckily I kept them, because I was able to use the concealer powder to over some cover some small blemishes on the hairline and the crown of my first system to make it wearable.
Oh that’s a great idea actually. I still use the fibers to match tmy temporal points with the system density so I have some laying around anyway. I’ll give it a shot

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m wondering if there is any hope to restore the hairline area of an aging piece that’s lost a decent amount of hair. Is it as simple as trimming a little of the base away? I should mention it’s a .03 skin base that’s just under 3 months old... it’s holding up pretty well in every other area. I have not trimmed anything since I got it

Will attach a pic

This does look pretty bad, especially for a system that's not even 3 months' old. My UTS systems last around 5 or 6 months but from the 3rd month onwards I begin trimming the front a bit as and when hairs shed. I guess I trim on average once a month. This allows me to keep a more natural hairline and - importantly - keeps the excess skin to a minimum which means less detectability.

Use nail scissors to cut away the excess base. You will find over time that you need to move the whole piece forward a bit, because you eventually do end up cutting away more and more from the hairline. So it means you need to be mindful of the back where you might find the base doesn't cover all the bald spots. But it's easier to hide that than to hide a bad hairline (or so I find anyway).

Always but in a zigzag way so that you don't have a hard line at the hairline.

Have a look in here4 for some examples:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...th-pictures-of-your-hair-system.125202/page-7

Also, why is your base so yellow? Is the attachment not right?

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks
This does look pretty bad, especially for a system that's not even 3 months' old. My UTS systems last around 5 or 6 months but from the 3rd month onwards I begin trimming the front a bit as and when hairs shed. I guess I trim on average once a month. This allows me to keep a more natural hairline and - importantly - keeps the excess skin to a minimum which means less detectability.

Use nail scissors to cut away the excess base. You will find over time that you need to move the whole piece forward a bit, because you eventually do end up cutting away more and more from the hairline. So it means you need to be mindful of the back where you might find the base doesn't cover all the bald spots. But it's easier to hide that than to hide a bad hairline (or so I find anyway).

Always but in a zigzag way so that you don't have a hard line at the hairline.

Have a look in here4 for some examples:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...th-pictures-of-your-hair-system.125202/page-7

Also, why is your base so yellow? Is the attachment not right?

thanks for the advice! I know in the past my salon would trim the hairline as it lost hair, so that method makes sense to me.

I do agree that it seems to be in much worse condition than many others on here, I think there are a few reasons for that. First, I have a tendency to aggressively scratch when I get an itchy spot, which I suspect has caused a decent amount of hair loss over time. I also just returned from a trip where i was swimming, washing and brushing the system every day, but I would like to better understand how to preserve the hairline in general even with those factors incorporated.

The other thing is that this is a very low density hairline to begin with, which makes it look highly realistic to start but probably means it goes south a bit faster. The yellowness I think is a combination of a rushed attachment and bad lighting.

the second pic is the current state in better lighting, the first is how the system looked when I got it installed. Maybe I need to find a system with a more dense hairline to begin with... I’m 22 and could probably pull it off.

Attachments

• 956667E0-E339-4386-B2EA-787723FAF5C5.jpeg
    956667E0-E339-4386-B2EA-787723FAF5C5.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 243
  • 690EBB88-CE4E-47B7-A910-4D90FD57BD0A.jpeg
    690EBB88-CE4E-47B7-A910-4D90FD57BD0A.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 245

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks

thanks for the advice! I know in the past my salon would trim the hairline as it lost hair, so that method makes sense to me.

I do agree that it seems to be in much worse condition than many others on here, I think there are a few reasons for that. First, I have a tendency to aggressively scratch when I get an itchy spot, which I suspect has caused a decent amount of hair loss over time. I also just returned from a trip where i was swimming, washing and brushing the system every day, but I would like to better understand how to preserve the hairline in general even with those factors incorporated.

The other thing is that this is a very low density hairline to begin with, which makes it look highly realistic to start but probably means it goes south a bit faster. The yellowness I think is a combination of a rushed attachment and bad lighting.

the second pic is the current state in better lighting, the first is how the system looked when I got it installed. Maybe I need to find a system with a more dense hairline to begin with... I’m 22 and could probably pull it off.
You can trim a tiny amount (mm's) from the hairline as it ages. It appears that you let yours go way too long though. Looks like you'd have to cut off nearly a quarter inch off.

I fell victim to this as well, trying to get the most out of my units, 3 months. What I've now decided is to change them every two months as the cost is nearly insignificant over the course of a year and it guarantees you always have a great-looking hairline and color.

As they lose hair we are somewhat blind to it as we see ourselves every day. I really started noticing when I'd look back at pictures around the 2.5 to 3 month mark and realize.... what was I thinking... that was way too sparse in the front.

It's funny, I've been on the forum for a while now. It seems that a lot of people, including myself at times, wants to push the limits. Go against professional advice and say we're not going to wash it for 6 months! or only going to condition it every 3 weeks! We're going to refuse to use the appropriate chemicals/products! We're going to push them them past their useful life in order to prove to ourselves that we can. Again I've done the same thing with wearing a little to long...
.... but in retrospect, we're all doing this to look our best... so why the hell are we playing games trying to get an extra couple weeks/month or so?

I'm not saying to replace every 30 days as some manufacturers recommend. But I am saying an extra two units a year to look your best is a no-brainer.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a client who just ordered 12 0.03 mm UTS systems. Most clients that order 0.03 mm UTS systems, order about 6 per year, they don't want to deal with a system deteriorating before they wear the next one. They are also less expensive.

firewatch9999

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks

What percent density is your current unit?