How to reduce scalp oil secretion? Seven words

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think it's actually possible. Even ketoconazole 2%, which is a harsh product, doesn't make my scalp produce less oil than it actually does. If you want to shut down your sebaceous glands, use accutane, but I assume you are familiar with the side effects.

wang yisong

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think it's actually possible. Even ketoconazole 2%, which is a harsh product, doesn't make my scalp produce less oil than it actually does. If you want to shut down your sebaceous glands, use accutane, but I assume you are familiar with the side effects.
Retinoic acid, I'm worried about its side effects of hair loss. Others are acceptable. I think the killer of my hair loss is grease. Because I lose less hair in winter. Hair loss is more in spring, summer and autumn.

mminh

My Regimen
Reaction score
Retinoic acid, I'm worried about its side effects of hair loss. Others are acceptable. I think the killer of my hair loss is grease. Because I lose less hair in winter. Hair loss is more in spring, summer and autumn.
Interesting. Can I ask where you live?

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also worried about its side effects. Just like you, I blame the greasiness for the worsening of my hair loss and I acknowledge that accutane is my only way to go. I have recurrent acne as well on my temples and cheeks, which sometimes end up on my scalp, therefore causing more hair loss.

Danjellyman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What are the sides to accutane? I have a good bit of oil along with scalp itch and irritation

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
Accutane can cause hair loss. But there are some who report no loss of hair on micro dose or brief cycles of higher dosages. If you try keto at 2%, it will help, but won't completely stop it. Keep in mind keto shampoo has a large molecule size, so you should probably lightly dermaroll before applying it. And I do find 2% better than 1%, works for a longer period. But your best bet are topical antiandrogens.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To reduce sebum you have to reduce cortisol and heat in scalp. Using keto will likely make things worse imo. Limit any shampoo including nizoral etc to twice a week max, and limit hot water on scalp. Hot water and shampoo all trigger sebum release hence oily scalp.

Witch hazel may help, but reducing shampoo and finishing washing with cold water will help the most imo.

No idea where minoxidil fits into it or how the scalp reacts in relation to sebum.

wang yisong

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Accutane can cause hair loss. But there are some who report no loss of hair on micro dose or brief cycles of higher dosages. If you try keto at 2%, it will help, but won't completely stop it. Keep in mind keto shampoo has a large molecule size, so you should probably lightly dermaroll before applying it. And I do find 2% better than 1%, works for a longer period. But your best bet are topical antiandrogens.
Viaminate Will it cause hair loss?