How To Prevent Damage To Existing Hairs?

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently stopped wearing my hair system because my transplanted hairs have grown in, and noticed that on the left side of the scalp, there is a noticeable thinning of hairs that follows the track of the tape + glue which I use to bond the system to my scalp.

I usually remove it from the left side first and I suppose the damage could have been done because it often requires considerably more force to pry it apart when it is still relatively well-bonded.

I just want to be sure that the damage was done by excessive force on my part instead of the wearing of the hair system itself.

I've tried to find answers as to whether the use of hair systems in the long run can cause damage to existing hairs, but there doesn't seem to be a conclusive or credible answer on the Internet.

The reason I'm asking is also because I intend to wear a system again while waiting for the results of my 2nd hair transplant to grow in.

Your advice is much appreciated!

@BaldBearded

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
So...

Traction Alopecia is indeed a thing... and in the case of transplanted hair, which is far more delicate... it may be permanent.

So if you must cover that area with the system, make sure you SHAVE really close, before attachment. And when you remove the system, use lots of alcohol to loosen the bond... you should NOT be pulling with enough force to remove hairs from. your head.

Steve

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Steve,

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I'll try to make sure that I don't allow the hairs to grow too long again before removing the piece. I actually tried removing it while my hair was an inch long and it did hurt to remove it.

I am also curious as to whether the piece has to be attached to existing hairs at the back. The salon that services mine always tapes it to my long hair at the back and I can tell hairs are getting pulled out when I roll around during sleep.

Is it possible to keep the piece attached to bare scalp instead?

Much thanks,
Sean

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Sean

You shouldn't let them tape on top of long hair - that is bound to put strain on your biohair, and there is also a chance some of it will get pulled out when your system is removed. Ideally the system should be trimmed down so that it is only covering areas which are bald, or so thin that they need to be covered by the system. If there is still some thin hair under the system, it should be buzzed down as close to zero as possible with a beard trimmer. If you are detaching your system every 7 - 14 days for maintenance it won't have had time to grown much in that period, and provided you release the bond with alcohol before you remove, there shouldn't be any stress on your biohair.

I couldn't quite understand your first post. It sounded like you had had a transplant and had now stopped wearing a system. Have you put the system back on now?

Noah

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Sean

You shouldn't let them tape on top of long hair - that is bound to put strain on your biohair, and there is also a chance some of it will get pulled out when your system is removed. Ideally the system should be trimmed down so that it is only covering areas which are bald, or so thin that they need to be covered by the system. If there is still some thin hair under the system, it should be buzzed down as close to zero as possible with a beard trimmer. If you are detaching your system every 7 - 14 days for maintenance it won't have had time to grown much in that period, and provided you release the bond with alcohol before you remove, there shouldn't be any stress on your biohair.

I couldn't quite understand your first post. It sounded like you had had a transplant and had now stopped wearing a system. Have you put the system back on now?

Noah

Hey Noah,

Thanks for the information. The salon I go to is a pretty reputable one in where I live, and I'm surprised to learn that what they're doing is not the best for my bio hair. Is it common for some salons to tape the back of the system to the existing hairs for better blending, or is this always wrong?

Yes, I had a transplant and am not wearing it at the moment because it has grown out. I am planning for a second hair transplant and am considering wearing a system again.

Appreciate your advice,
Sean

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Sean

There is one circumstance where this is a regular occurrence: at salons which use the Hair Club methodology, where they attach the system with cyanoacrylic glue (basically Superglue) for a month at a time, and the customer comes in every month for a "service". Those salons cut a track of short biohair around the customer's bald area, and they attach the perimeter of the system to that track. The cyanoacrylic glue is very strong and long-lasting, but skin itself naturally sheds its top layer every couple of weeks, so they prefer to stick the system to hair, to get a longer bond. At the "service", the system is cut off the hair track with an electric beard trimmer. Is this how your salon works?

This method of attachment can cause traction alopecia over the long term, and it also has other problems with it, most notably hygiene (you can't properly clean your scalp for a month) and the fact that the hair track grows out, leaving the hair system loose and unstable by the end of the month.

Apart from that case (which you'll have gathered I am not a fan of), I can't think of any circumstance when it makes sense to have a system attached to viable biohair.

Noah

seanvandamme

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Sean

There is one circumstance where this is a regular occurrence: at salons which use the Hair Club methodology, where they attach the system with cyanoacrylic glue (basically Superglue) for a month at a time, and the customer comes in every month for a "service". Those salons cut a track of short biohair around the customer's bald area, and they attach the perimeter of the system to that track. The cyanoacrylic glue is very strong and long-lasting, but skin itself naturally sheds its top layer every couple of weeks, so they prefer to stick the system to hair, to get a longer bond. At the "service", the system is cut off the hair track with an electric beard trimmer. Is this how your salon works?

This method of attachment can cause traction alopecia over the long term, and it also has other problems with it, most notably hygiene (you can't properly clean your scalp for a month) and the fact that the hair track grows out, leaving the hair system loose and unstable by the end of the month.

Apart from that case (which you'll have gathered I am not a fan of), I can't think of any circumstance when it makes sense to have a system attached to viable biohair.

Noah

Hey Noah,

I visit the salon every 2 weeks and they use Walker Ultra Hold glue to attach the system, as well as optima solution to detach it.

It's ridiculous how I was never aware of the proper practices for attachment.

I will consider more experienced salons in future.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Regards,
Sean