How to improve your posture via weight training

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Suggested exercises to improve posture? I often have my head too far forward and hunch over too much. Best way to keep spinal musculature healthy and proportionally developed?

docj077

Reaction score
If you lift a lot of weights already, then it likely isn't your muscle strength or proportion that is the problem. Have you tried getting some orthotics? You don't even the expensive ones. Walkfit makes a pretty good orthotic. They should help you distribute your weight better on your feet, so that you don't lean forward so much. They work for some people, but not everyone. I used to lean forward too much and this was quite evident by the fact that my balance was poor (ie a person could pull be over frontward if I placed my hands in front of me for them to push down on). With a good orthotic, your weight is distributed better and you stand up taller, so it's more difficult for someone to pull you forward.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Good suggestion. I actually have flat feet and never wore orthotics...might make a big difference.

powersam

Reaction score
docj077 said:
If you lift a lot of weights already, then it likely isn't your muscle strength or proportion that is the problem.

not true. if he'd done a lot of work on his chest and front delts, and no work on his back that could definitely give him a hunched posture.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
One exercise works better than any other for improving posture, the superman.

104.gif

[youtube:c68e7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szJuzPt-sg[/youtube:c68e7]

CCS

Reaction score
powersam said:
docj077 said:
If you lift a lot of weights already, then it likely isn't your muscle strength or proportion that is the problem.

not true. if he'd done a lot of work on his chest and front delts, and no work on his back that could definitely give him a hunched posture.

I can row as much as I can bench. I still have a hunch. Now tendonitis in my left elbow keeps me from working my back or lats.

docj077

Reaction score
powersam said:
docj077 said:

So, you think that muscle that is not contracted will significantly alter the posture of an individual? Do you believe that excessive strengthening of a particular muscle group leads to increased muscle tension at rest and a shorter overall length of the muscle long term?

Personally, I don't think that it's the strengthening exercises and increase in muscle strength in one muscle group that leads to the poor posture (ie the muscle being constantly contracted and thus pulling stronger than the antagonistic muscle group). It's the lack of maintainence of flexibility in that particular muscle group in question that is the problem. Like someone said above, the "superman" is an impressive stretching exercise and that combined with seated rows should maintain flexibility in the frontal muscles to maintain an upright posture while also strengthening the rhomboids to keep the shoulders back. That combined with better weight distribution in the feet is an excellent means of maintaining posture.

powersam

Reaction score
docj077 said:
powersam said:
docj077 said:

So, you think that muscle that is not contracted will significantly alter the posture of an individual? Do you believe that excessive strengthening of a particular muscle group leads to increased muscle tension at rest and a shorter overall length of the muscle long term?

Personally, I don't think that it's the strengthening exercises and increase in muscle strength in one muscle group that leads to the poor posture (ie the muscle being constantly contracted and thus pulling stronger than the antagonistic muscle group). It's the lack of maintainence of flexibility in that particular muscle group in question that is the problem. Like someone said above, the "superman" is an impressive stretching exercise and that combined with seated rows should maintain flexibility in the frontal muscles to maintain an upright posture while also strengthening the rhomboids to keep the shoulders back. That combined with better weight distribution in the feet is an excellent means of maintaining posture.

well thats what my physiotherapist said. what you state above is definitely a part of it, but i'm told overdeveloping certain muscle groups can also throw it out of whack.

CCS

Reaction score
When you do bench press, make sure you go all the way down. if you only go part way down, the chest muscles get shorter, and that can really pull the shoulders. As for the back muscles, I bet they are just too flexible. It would be nice if you could sleep with some kind of straps on your shoulders and other areas that would leave your back muscles in a more contracted state over night so they loose some of that flexibility, and are not as long. Flexibility is good, but when the muscles are so long from being stretched all the time, that is not good. I tired designing such a sleeping device, but never got anything satisfactory. The parts and building tools were such a pain in the butt to get since I don't have a car or a workshop, so I just gave up for now.

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
mulder said:
Suggested exercises to improve posture? I often have my head too far forward and hunch over too much. Best way to keep spinal musculature healthy and proportionally developed?
I am not positive but there really might not be much of a correlation between bad posture and trying to lift certain weights to correct your posure. I would say first and foremost look at the hrs you sit in a chair, if it's a lot then your bad posture probably stems from poor posture in your chair, that's usually the culprit. Bad posture leads to a flat back (you lose one of the natural s curves plus you will get altered head carriage (out in front).

It obviously couldn't hurt to pay attention to what and how you are lifiting. We like to pound the chest so make sure you you have a 1:1 ratio for chest/back exercices.

As far as safety......Bad posture has everything to do with the spine alignment, so treat the spine with care. Meaning watch the # of pounds you lift in free space. Too much weight during free weights can permanently alter your spine due to injury as your spine plays a major roll in support for free weights (i.e. bench press). I am not saying to avoid this but be respectful of your spine when you lift.

Goingat20

Reaction score
do you think chiropractors are important for spinal health or a waste of money?

CCS

Reaction score
Goingat20 said:
do you think chiropractors are important for spinal health or a waste of money?

I think they can help a little, but they charge a lot for that little bit of help. Better to train a friend how to safely straighten your back now and then.

I think the main reason for my posture getting worse is just me hunching over in front of the computer. If I can avoid that, it won't get worse.