How To Handle minoxidil + Dr Treatment Routine

Guzam

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys hope you're doing well!

I am into my 7th month of finasteride but i'm looking forward into adding minoxidil ED + dermarolling 0.5mm E7D in the treatment because my hair is very diffuse (NW3v diffuse on mid/front) and I must act on many fronts.
One thing that bugs me, though, is the fact that minoxidil is a VERY invasive routine.

Here I want to ask you some questions about how you all handle the minoxidil routine:

1) What do you do when you sleep with your significant other? Minoxidil smells bad and I don't want to make my fight against hair loss public.

2) What do you do when you go on vacation? How do you bring minoxidil with you?

3) Does minoxidil have some 'wetting' or oily effect on the hair during the day? My hair is diffuse and 'oiling up' my hair would be a death sentence for my already dwindling aesthetics at 21.

4) Does minoxidil smell THAT bad? Is it detectable during the day?

Thank you guys.

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1) What do you do when you sleep with your significant other? Minoxidil smells bad and I don't want to make my fight against hair loss public.

you can't hide it man. It smells a lot. I am talking about the liquid version. Don't know about the foam. They say Minoxidil loses its effectiveness when used as foam but it would be pretty easy to use unlike the liquid where you will have to wait 10-20 minutes for it to dry.

Simple - I pack it up in the treasure box and put it in my luggage. No big deal, you know. Happy to help you.:oops:

Joking aside, I don't know about others but I usually don't take it with me during vacation because it smells a lot. And there's no scheduled time for you to take it becaues it's a vacation. With Minoxdil, you must keep atleast 10 minutes in your hand because it doesn't dry up that fast. If you happen to meet someone at that moment, which has a high probability given that you are in a vacation with your friends, they will definitely feel something's amiss with your hair and some may end up asking about it because of the smell. It's not a bad smell but strong enough to get their attention.

3) Does minoxidil have some 'wetting' or oily effect on the hair during the day? My hair is diffuse and 'oiling up' my hair would be a death sentence for my already dwindling aesthetics at 21.

It has a wetting or oily effect but stays only for one hour after the application.

some 'wetting' or oily effect on the hair during the day?

No, the rotation of earth has no effect on minoxidil. So, it won't be oily during the day. Once it dries, it stays that way. However, never ever apply minoxidil before going outside. I really had some bad experiences.

The answer will be yes and no. It doesn't smell bad but has a strong scent which may turn out to be unpleasant for some people.

Is it detectable during the day?

No, after a few hours of application, it is hardly detectable unless a moron happens to snuffle your hair like a dog.

In short, don't take it with you on vacation. You will hardly get time for it because you will be busy enjoying and that's what the vacation is meant for.
On a side note, you may try out the foam version.

Hope this helped you.

g.i joey

Reaction score
1. Foam is odorless in my experience, my ex never brought up a smell when I'd sleep with it in my hair.

2. I put it in my luggage, the foam is super light so you CAN bring it in your carry-on.

3. Liquid destroyed aesthetics of hair, I'm a diffuse thinner, used liquid twice and vouched to never use it again. The foam is way too convenient, that said, I only use
minoxidil at night, don't wanna walk around with minoxidil hair all day, but if you apply it directly after your shower it'll be barely noticeable if you're going for foam.

4. When the foam is applied well it's odorless and indetectable, I'd compare the foam to a sort of moose you'd use for your hair, very similar aesthetic effect.

So, I do have one question for you. How are the results coming along 7 months into finasteride? I'm exactly at the same point and can only say I'm maintaining.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score

I am into my 7th month of finasteride but i'm looking forward into adding minoxidil ED + dermarolling 0.5mm E7D in the treatment because my hair is very diffuse (NW3v diffuse on mid/front) and I must act on many fronts.
One thing that bugs me, though, is the fact that minoxidil is a VERY invasive routine.

Here I want to ask you some questions about how you all handle the minoxidil routine:

Thank you guys.

1) skip an application on these nights if you want. Although 2x a day is best 1x day still produces results, so it's not like a missed application here and there is going to kill your gains. If you don't want to skip you can also opt to use the foam on these nights, which dries quickly

2)Yep, throw it in the luggage.

3)Use foam for daytime use and when you're going to be leaving the house. As I stated it dries very quickly

4)Nope, it's scentless

Guzam

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@kj6723 @g.i joey @Captain Rex Thanks guys, maybe it isn't that big hassle to use minoxidil. Did any of you try the dermaroller?

So, I do have one question for you. How are the results coming along 7 months into finasteride? I'm exactly at the same point and can only say I'm maintaining.

My hair is stable and I am definitely maintaining like you. Some results should be expected at the 1 year mark. Anyway something is moving in some microscopic degree: all these hairs that would fall out with their root thinner than the hair have almost disappeared. I seem to shed only healthy hair and in a more limited, normal quantity. Some cosmetic effect happened at the back: I need shorter hair to hide the balding spot on the back. This means some thickening happened in the back of the head. I feel better that I'm taking action.

Anyway I will soon add minoxidil once I find a reliable supplier of quality minoxidil. Can't ship rogaine here, only competitors like regaine and foligain. I want to try it and add it to my routine.

Patrick_Bateman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@kj6723 @g.i joey @Captain Rex Thanks guys, maybe it isn't that big hassle to use minoxidil. Did any of you try the dermaroller?

My hair is stable and I am definitely maintaining like you. Some results should be expected at the 1 year mark. Anyway something is moving in some microscopic degree: all these hairs that would fall out with their root thinner than the hair have almost disappeared. I seem to shed only healthy hair and in a more limited, normal quantity. Some cosmetic effect happened at the back: I need shorter hair to hide the balding spot on the back. This means some thickening happened in the back of the head. I feel better that I'm taking action.

Anyway I will soon add minoxidil once I find a reliable supplier of quality minoxidil. Can't ship rogaine here, only competitors like regaine and foligain. I want to try it and add it to my routine.
I use Kirkland Minoxidil Foam, ordering it from Ebay. No complaints about it. I get like 6 months for the same amount of money I would pay for 2 months with a worse liquid minoxidil that they sell in Norway, and that's including shipping.

About the questions in your original post.
I don't have a significant other obviously, but i would just wash my face as regular people do before bed time, and if she questions my moist hair I'd just say it's from me washing my face.

Bringing minoxidil on your vacation is easy, just put it together with your other toiletries, the bottle is small enough to fit.

As mentioned earlier you won't get a wetting effect from the foam, more like a mousse effect. If you use other hair products the minoxidil will be unnoticable.

And lastly there's very little smell to the minoxidil product I use, and the little smell there is when it's freshly applied isn't bad. Even that little smell disappears rather quick, totally unnoticable if you use other products aswell.

About the dermarolling I bought a 1,5 mm dermaroller a few weeks ago, but I havent used it enough to know if it's having an effect. I use it lightly so the skin turns red, then I apply minoxidil after.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thank you guys.

I apply minoxidil once a day, in the morning. I take it with me on longer vacations along with deoderent, etc. On short vacations I don't bother. It has no wetting effect on my hair and is not detectable.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score

I thought minoxidil seemed like a hassle too before I started using it. It's really not. Takes me about 30 seconds to 1 minute to apply it to my hairline, faster than brushing my teeth, flossing, etc. Once you get past those first few confusing applications you'll realize how simple and easy it is. Really not many good reasons not to try minoxidil if you're looking to regrow a lot of hair imo

I don't dermaroll. Instead I use tretinoin and peppermint oil to increase absorption. I think people who are mild to moderate minoxidil responders could really stand to benefit by introducing a penetration enhancer, so it's good that you're looking into this, as you've got a lot of regrowing to go towards a recovery

As Patrick mentioned, Kirkland is considered a reliable brand around here, as well as one of the cheaper ones you're likely to find. I use both their foam and liquid, purchased off amazon.com. Don't use the liquid unless you're settled in before bed or certain you won't be leaving the house for 3+ hours...makes hair look like sh*t and takes forever to dry