how to estimate how many hair follicles on my head right now

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
So I am heading towards a transplant maybe in the next 2-3 years

How do I estimate how many follicles I have on my head now?

Although I dont have the amount of hair I had when I was 16, I can still live with the amount of thinned out hair I have now (if only it would stop falling out).

If I currently have 5000 follicles, then I definitely will be satisfied with a 5000 hair transplant

But if I currently have 10,000 follicles, then obviously a 5,000 transplant would be the wrong choice for me as I would not be happy with it.

So what should I do to get an accurate estimate?

Is there a way to estimate it myself?

s.a.f

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I remember reading somewhere that the average NW5 has lost about 20,000 follicles in their bald region. To get 50% density, 10,000 follicles are needed to be transplanted. Of course these are just ballpark figures. It varies a lot from bald guy to bald guy. Also, the "50% density rule" is just a general rule of thumb. Personally, I think 50% density looks like a diffuse thinner; it looks like crap in other words.

To look good, and to look "realistic," I think a minimum of 65% density is more acceptable. Again this also varies from bald guy to bald guy. Anything less looks a$$ and will require the use of "concealers" in addition to the transplants to get an aesthetically pleasing overall result.

What's the point of getting a transplant if you have to wear concealers on top of it? A waste of time and money IMO...why even bother?!?!?!? :dunno:

There are plenty of guys who look good with hair transplant's that are 50% density. Alot of people who had genuinley experienced baldness would prefer some hair to no hair. And if things can be improved with concealers even better.

Thats like saying whats the point in having a job if it pays less than $50,000+ a year, might aswell stay on benifits.

To me my bad hair transplant with concealers is better than being totally bald, sure it does'nt look as good as some non m.p.b effected guy but its still an improvement even if it cost me money and takes some effort.