How to dilute 5% Minoxidil to 2% concentration? (liquid, NO foam)

cefegro

Reaction score
I bought 6 months treatment and I realize 5% its too strong for me, I'm very low on budget right now and I wonder if there's a way to dilute 5% Minoxidil to 2%.

I heard alcohol its not good idea, water the same thing

Its that true?

Please help me out, I dont want to stop my treatment

Thanks a lot!

BTW, I can't just use less Minoxidil because the area is not small, I have to down the %

Last edited:

violetfluff

Reaction score
The solvent used by Kirkland and Rogaine is a mixture of ethanol, propylene glycol and water. I don't know the relative amounts but Kirkland contains more propylene glycol relative to ethanol.
Ethanol could be substituted with isopropanol due to similar solvent properties although ethanol is a better solvent for minoxidil. Don't use methanol or methylated spirit.

The amount of water used in the solvent mix is probably small since minoxidil has a low solubility in it, you can't get a solution stronger than 0.1% w/v in pure water.
If you use too much ethanol it may dry and irritate the scalp and if you use too much propylene glycol it will take longer to dry/evaporate and give an oily feeling to the hair.

I would suggest first trying a 50/50 mixture of isopropanol and propylene glycol to dilute the 5% solution and see how it goes, if it's too oily try 75/25 mixture or conversely 25/75 mixture if too drying.

Dilute the 5% solution with 1.5 times its volume with your solvent mix e.g. 100ml of 5% solution is diluted with 150ml solvent mix to give a 2% solution.

Ethanol is a somewhat better solvent than isopropanol however if you use ethanol make sure it's 95% w/w rectified spirit (note, this is not the same as 95 proof, this would contain too much water and precipitate the minoxidil from solution).
If using isopropanol use the 100% grade as sometimes it is sold as a 70% solution mixed with water.

Both isopropanol and propylene glycol are easily obtainable on amazon or eBay for example.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
why not just use what you have once a day instead of twice or just use half the regular dose each time twice?