How To Deal With Side Effects. From My 9 Years Experience

JohnDoe989

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a 28 y old dude facing this sh*t from 19. I've posted here long time ago and I passed by to see how much research has been going on in the field. Guess not that much in the last decade, huh? However i want to share with you my experience with the big 3( Finasteride, Minoxidil, Nizoral). And have some life advices for the young lost boys that are out there and made my hearth melt when reading this forum. So many young boys without confidence or perspective. Some with suicidal thought :( (believe me i know how it felt. i too wake up in the hospital after one attempt of poisoning myself- not hairloss related). That really motivated me to write this post.

Finasteride
I took proscar every day 1mg(cut in 5), one year from the start. As side effects I experienced puffy nipples and watery semen (at first). When I started i was kind of overweight and already had some gyno tissue(never really managed to clear it up from my teen age i guess). Now I'm very fit and I work at least 3 times/week. Eating CLEAN(low sugars, no liquid calories), intermittent fasting and STRICTLY workout made most of the sides go away (still have that tissue from teen years). Now i have low body fat and impressive strength, instead of being a fat *** dude with no energy.

Minoxidil
Took it from the start. All types of it. Foam, Liquid. Generic or Non. As side effects I can say: puffy/bloated face, dark circles, some elevated heart beats, white flakes on hair, sometimes made me scratch my hair alot. I dealt with all of them by the workout routine and clean eating, using only Rogaine Foam ( guess the alcohol from the liquid one is bad as f.. really hard on the scalp) and..

NOW THE BIG PART

I read a lot about some of you dudes who drop out minoxidil cause of the puffy face and dark circles. Here's the catch to get it right. (i still managed to have almost the same young face as 10years ago)
1. Use minoxidil ONLY ONCE A DAY, and FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. I experienced rly bad sides when I used it at night, even after i wash it out completely before i go to bed.
2. When you have it applied DON'T SWEAT! No running or other hard stuff activity.
3. It helps if you DON'T WASH your hair before. Yeah it penetrated better if you wash and dry it, then applied it, but it can create the sides too. If you already have good results on it, don't do it. Or just wash hair, dry and wait a while before apply.
4. DON'T USE MORE THAN 1-1.5 ml at a time.It's enough to cover all area. The key is consistency. If you use it every day for a long period a time, even if it's once, you will get some kind of response.
5. TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN: you need 3 things :
---> 1. SOLAR protection CREAM. I use one with SPF 50. Apply it every time you go outside. I just used it after cleaning teeth.
---> 2. Night cream with RETINOL. Apply it every night or eod, before going to bed. It helps the skin a ton.
---> 3. 1-2 DERMAROLLERS. I have 2. One is 1mm and the other is 1.5mm. You can use it before applying the minoxild(i'm lazy and I never used it - but it can have positive effects on hair regrowth). USE IT ON FACE EVERY 2 weeks/ 1 month. IT forces your skin to produce more collagen and keeps it look young. You can look on the internet for more details. Read more about it before you try it ! NEVER USE minoxidil THE DAY AFTER. JUST SKIP IT. Opened pores on face are too risky to play with.

Nizoral
No sides whatsoever. Best product. Hair looks cool afterwards. Use it every 2-3 days to wash hair.

Other Notes
I discovered best results in hair regrowth is done when you never feel the hair itchy. INFLAMMATION IS YOUR ENEMY. (Most of it for me came from crappy minoxidil products. With Foam i never had problems and I recommend using it. Never use the liquid stuff anymore.) If you can be consistent with treatment and have no inflammation you will get results. THE KEY is MAKING IT A HABIT. I never bother nowadays. i have a ROUTINE and it doesn't take that much time or thought. I maintained most of my hair even regrowth some and my friends say i look the same as from 10y ago(except the new muscular body).

Even if i would go bald i wouldn't care that much about it. Yeah i like looking young but it is not worth stressing about it. I was so fuckin self-aware at the beginning of my hair loss that is took control over my life. Now i realize what stupid i was. Set a goal, and work for it. Be a man. The pleasure in life is to OWN IT. To build things. To do sh*t that you are proud of.

Bonus
You think girls are into hair that much and if you lose it you will get none. Let me tell you something. I had full hair and never once approached one. Was scared of being rejected. One summer i shaved it all and gave no f***. Went talking to a ton of them. Had much much more than before. Experience is key. Take my uncle for example. 50, all bald, even have a little belly. No wife(had severals). His game is so good he had like 3-4 girls/week. Once we were at a driveway and he hocked up with a 30y old stunning lady in 5 minutes that next day he took her home. For me it was how could an average looking Joe can do something like that. Confidence. Self-awareness of his value. He is selling himself that he worked so hard to grow. The real deal. Not trying to fool anyone. Along with experience of talking to people it GOES A VERY LONG WAY.
To sum it up:
1 - work on yourself. make a goal, a purpose. WORK FOR IT. create value. If you don't know where to start, I'll give you a hint. Work on your body. A good body promotes good thinking. Here is one of the best programs you can dive in that WILL work. - THE BAR BROTHERS WORKOUT - barbrothers.com/system/index .php
2 - know how to sell your value.
First is key for inner self and standing by what you say. Second you can learn by experience and reading books about the subject. I can recommend one to you that is pretty good - The Mystery Method: How to Get Beautiful Women Into Bed.

Remember life is worth living and hair is sh*t compared to it.

KEEP STRONG AND HEALTHY MY BROS.

Last edited:

g.i joey

Reaction score
Great story, so are you still consistently using all aspects of the big 3? What can I do to help with inflammation? Do you find nisoral covers that aspect for you? Thanks for sharing your story, we never get a lot of long term finasteride users come back here

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A great post OP. How do you deal with the minoxidil bloated face? I'm using it once daily in the morning only as well but doesn't seem to help at all. And considering the reason behind the bloating is not really collagen related I don't think retinol will help.

Also, do you mind recommending a retinol cream for us? Thx

JohnDoe989

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great story, so are you still consistently using all aspects of the big 3? What can I do to help with inflammation? Do you find nisoral covers that aspect for you? Thanks for sharing your story, we never get a lot of long term finasteride users come back here

I wrote all I did for inflammation in the minoxidil section. the key is to keep it at a decent amount. as i experienced the inflammation is caused primary by the conductor agent - alcohol. try using the foam as it has none. nizoral is good if u use it sparingly. overuse and you will get itchy hair.

g.i joey

Reaction score
I wrote all I did for inflammation in the minoxidil section. the key is to keep it at a decent amount. as i experienced the inflammation is caused primary by the conductor agent - alcohol. try using the foam as it has none. nizoral is good if u use it sparingly. overuse and you will get itchy hair.

Yup, I've realized that, I get the worst itches after I use Nizoral, I think it dries out my scalp wayyy too much, I can't find the 1% in Canada as we have 2% otc

JohnDoe989

My Regimen
Reaction score
A great post OP. How do you deal with the minoxidil bloated face? I'm using it once daily in the morning only as well but doesn't seem to help at all. And considering the reason behind the bloating is not really collagen related I don't think retinol will help.

Also, do you mind recommending a retinol cream for us? Thx

Sorry it took me this long to reply, i wrote it before but I didn't seem to post (using phone).
Today i was playing with the buzzer and i buzzcuted all my hair for the first time by mistake. Oups. And i remembered to check by for reply's.

I had the bloated face side effect too. You can deal with it by eating healthy - plenty of diuretic foods(read more online), using no salt in food(reduce sodium intake), lots of water 3-4l/day and limit the minoxidil quantity. 0.5-1ml/day(you will get good at using it on a large area). If you still have problems with this try taking some Yohimbe HCL ( best 30 min before doing some cardio/training - i prefer taking it before i go walking for 40min-1h) or even Yohimburn topical on face (try not gettin in eyes).

For retinol cream I use one i found locally. Any would suffice. Retin-A is the best one but be careful as it's very powerful. If you can buy one, use it in very very low dosage and always use the sun-cream when u go outside!

Last edited:

JohnDoe989

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup, I've realized that, I get the worst itches after I use Nizoral, I think it dries out my scalp wayyy too much, I can't find the 1% in Canada as we have 2% otc

Yeah just use it 2 times/week. After you shower your hair (first thing i do), put a little nizoral in palp, scratch all the scalp with it (no nails) and leave it on for as long as it takes for before you finish. Don't use it 2 times as it says on bottle(first use, wash, and then second use, let i on for 5 min, wash.)