How to correctly apply Rogaine liquid?

bv3131

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm finally gonna start Rogaine Liquid. I have a receding hairline and diffuse thinning on top. What is the best way to apply the liquid? I'm especially concerned about the area where my hairline has receded and there is no hair; should I rub it in a little with my fingers after using the dropper so it doesn't run down my face? What's the best technique? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

bv3131

Reaction score
Can I get any help on this? I just put it on for the first time and it was a mess, haha. My hair is about 1.5 inches long and I was mostly just getting it on the hairs so I had to try and rub it in with my fingers, I hope this is OK. Also, when putting it on my rededed hairline it kept dripping down onto my forehead, so I just wiped it off with tissues. Any help?

brightside

Established Member
Reaction score
Its awkward at first.

I apply to the crown, then part the hair 5 ways on top and slowly apply to each parting, using my fingers to dab in to the scalp. (I'm diffuse too, but it's difficult to see where exactly the miniaturised hairs are as its quite long).

I would aim to apply to the scalp and not the hair. Applying to the hair won't be as effective and the alcohol in the solution will dry the hair out.

I would maybe consider wearing some surgical gloves to stop your hands being affected.

With practice I've got this down to around 3-4 minutes.

bv3131

Reaction score
I was originally going to do the foam, but then I decided on the liquid after I saw how many people had success with it. I've seen a few people on here use the foam in the morning and then the liquid at night, should I try that?

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't wait until I can afford Rogaine foam (I recently lost my job).

The Kirkland stuff is really cheap and effective but it's sooo f*****g greasy!

What's the point in combating baldness with a liquid that makes your hair look like sh*t anyway!?

I'm still gonna stick with it though. it's better than nothing.

bv3131

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people use the Kirkland minoxidil, is there any difference between that and Rogaine? As in, is there any chance that Kirkland actually produced better results? Or are they identitical?

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
They both contain 5% minoxidil so there is no difference at all in how they combat hair loss.

However whatever other chemicals are in Kirkland make your hair look really greasy compared to those in Rogaine.

If you can afford it, I would stick with Rogaine. I hate how the Kirkland stuff makes my hair look

bv3131

Reaction score
Anyway, back to my original question. Should I be rubbing/massaging the liquid in with my fingers after I apply it to my scalp? It seems like a lot of the minoxidil is just ending up on my fingers.

big3nme

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been using minoxidil for 13 months now and I am also a diffuse thinner and apply minoxidil all over my head. I now use 3ml each application (one on crown, one on top, one front/temples) because of how much gets in my hair. I always struggle to get most of it on my scalp. It runs down my face, I just wipe it back up into my hair with my fingers.

I use a dermaroller every other day to help with absorption. I feel like with that and the 3ml I use is enough to make up for my "sloppy" application.

Oh and I do rub it in with my fingers afterwards..

El_Dut always talks about rubbing in RU (which I do as well) so I never understood why you wouldn't rub in minoxidil as its basically the same thing with minoxidil instead of RU58841 in the same basic solution..

anyways, I plan on making a video of how I apply my minoxidil at some point so people can see and comment on how it differs from how they do it..

bv3131

Reaction score
Yea, I'd like to see videos on it as well. I plan on buzzing my head tomorrow to make the application a bit easier. Also, I would never leave the house with my hair looking like it does after I apply the Rogaine, so it'll help with that too.

skelll

Established Member
Reaction score
I use the Rogaine liquid on crown because my hair is still pretty thick in crown just thinning so its eaiser with dropper to get into the scalp as opposed to the foam. But I do use the foam along the hair loss as it is much easier to apply in that region as compared to liquid dropper

RobertBBrown

My Regimen
Reaction score
...I'm especially concerned about the area where my hairline has receded and there is no hair; should I rub it in a little with my fingers after using the dropper so it doesn't run down my face? What's the best technique? ...

I started out with the Rogaine liquid first because I believed in the myth that the liquid is more effective than the foam (I changed after a few weeks but more on that later).

Anyway, I did apply it in small and little drops with almost not pressing the end of the applicator and after that I used a beard brush to "comb" it on and it was evenly on the scalp.

But to be honest, the best way would be to use the foam, it applies a lot easier, you need less time, it don't run down your face and soaks in faster and you can style your hair right after applying it ;)

PS: I know the question is old but I think more people have that problem so don't throw rocks at me for giving my 2 cents.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not to use Rogaine foam ?
I used the liquid for 4-5 years. A year ago I switched to foam on a whim...I think I read an anecdote about it working better. Over the course of three months loss accelerated and thinning increased even though I applied the sh*t in the same areas. I started finasteride and never even considered the possibility that the switch in formulas could be involved. This may have all been a coincidence and I was destined to start losing at this time. I only recently made the connection that using the foam, at least in my case, may have been equivalent to quitting treatment altogether as the alcohol-based foam may not have been able to penetrate my scalp. For certain scalp types, propylene glycol may be required to get therapeutic levels of minoxidil to the follicle (and bloodstream).