How thin can your hair be to highlight it?

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a NW2 with diffuse thinning mostly at the crown, although no slick bald spots (yet....*touch wood*) and I'm thinking of getting the tips of my dark brown hair bleached to change the scalp/hair contrast as a lot of people on here recommend. The problem is I've been cutting my own hair for 2 years now so obviously would need to visit a salon to get this done.... but I'm sh*t scared of sitting in the chair and the barber saying to me "Sorry Sir, your hair's too thin" - which would get me severely down as I'm very sensitive about my hair loss!

Has anyone here had their hair bleached while it was REALLY REALLY thin? And would it help it grow it a bit longer, as I was thinking of getting it cut down shorter a bit?

Also another question, with highlighted hair can you still use concealers such as couvre and dermatch?

Thanks.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Barry -

If you have any pics of your hair, that would really help answer your question. One guys "EXTREMELY THIN" is another guys "YOU LOOK FINE".... if you get my point.

That being said, you can bleach your tips pretty much no matter how thin (within reason). You've painted a picture of 70% skin 30% hair in my mind with the way you described it. I have a feeing its more like 95% hair and 5% skin instead.. in which case you'll be fine.

Don't go too bleachy or you'll end up looking like old school backstreet boys. When I used to lighten my hair to reduce the contrast effect, I went from a dark brown to a slightly lighter brown and that did the trick. All you need is for the bottom half to be slightly darker than the top half and you'll accomplish the effect.

Moving this to the styling forum.

HairLossTalk.com

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
To be honest 95% hair sounds about right!

I guess it was a bit of a silly question, I just wanted to be sure to avoid total humilation in the salon. Thanks for the help HairLossTalk.com.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
They are not going to tell you it's too thin to highlight, frost or tip....

They booked the time and they are sure as sh*t going to find enough hair to color and collect their fee.

Thin haired clients make up the majority of visiters to the Salon. Those with thick heads of lovely hair don't need as many of our services as those with problem hair.

Go for it!