How should i feel coming off Propecia?

BATTLETIME

Reaction score
Been taking approx 0.25 to 0.33 mg Propecia tablet 5 to 6 times a week for the just under 5 months now. The depression & brain fog is just too much for me. How should i feel day to day over a week to 10 days quitting Propecia cold turkey? Had no serious sexual sides etc just felt down on the stuff. Im off it my 3rd day today & i feel anxious etc. Quitting cant do anything bad to your brain or heart etc can it? No bullcrappers please just honest info & experiences thanks.

stoja

Established Member
Reaction score
quitting cold turkey will not have any adverse effects in your case.

in my experience you will start to feel better after a week and from there on in everything will start to go back to normal. might take a month, might take longer. The more 'normal' i felt after quitting propecia, my hair just seemed to get worse :(

good luck with it all, it should all be back to normal in no time

BATTLETIME

Reaction score
Thanks for the above. Anybody else? Im off it 3 days now & im prone to anxiety & depression so just want to know what to look out for? Should i just start feeling better & better etc? Or could i expect palpitations or something or dizziness??
All responses greatly welcomed.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
BATTLETIME said:
Thanks for the above. Anybody else? Im off it 3 days now & im prone to anxiety & depression so just want to know what to look out for? Should i just start feeling better & better etc? Or could i expect palpitations or something or dizziness??
All responses greatly welcomed.

You shouldn't expect anything. You already said you're prone to anxiety and depression. Any anxiety you have will not be from the finasteride. You can only see an improvement--the only reports of people feeling weird coming off of finasteride are with sexual sides.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you are prone to anxiety, how do you know the anxiety / depression you experienced on and off the drug was actually caused by it?

Finasteride causes depression in extremely rare cases; keep this in mind. If you are already worried about side effects constantly, you may experience anxiety or depression. The prospect of having to quit the medication and start losing your hair again is very depressing.

Now you have quit the medication, and know there aren't many other good alternative treatments. This could easily cause anxiety. You can't blame every symptom you experience on Finasteride. Hair loss alone is very traumatic and people that suffer from it have a strong tendency to be depressive or have anxiety, regardless if they have touched finasteride.

In a nut shell, you are way over thinking and over analyzing everything. It's just making your mental state worse.

BATTLETIME

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies Guys. Have you all quit finasteride at some stage??
Yeah the thing is i dont know whats causing what. Also i went on a Booze bender on Friday & the hangover yesterday nearly caused me to breakdown. I had 3 "recovery" drinks yesterday & later last night i almost lost it. Its carried over to today. I cycled earlier on & felt better momentarily. Spent too long today browsing the Net looking at PFS stories & it set me off no matter how calm i tried to be reading them Would really love to be able to enjoy the Superbowl tonight but i dont think i will. Just feel so wound up & depressed in side, i feel awful.
Keep the replies coming lads & dont be afraid to ask any more questions.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I quit for 2 weeks when I went on vacation and didn't want to bother bringing meds into the Caribbean.. I literally didn't feel any different, and my hair didn’t suffer at all from that time.

FYI, alcohol and anxiety are extremely bad bedfellows. If you have generalized anxiety or depression, stay away from alcohol (1 or 2 drinks a day is fine if you can control yourself) but do not binge drink. People prone to anxiety/depression have such a ridiculously high risk of alcoholism. The worst of it is drinking large amounts of alcohol messes with your hormones something awful, and since you are already messing with them by taking Finasteride, you should really cut down. Alcohol raises estrogen levels, which are likely already raised by Finasteride.

If you are a regular drinker, challenge yourself to take a month off. I guarantee you will feel much, much better. I had a problem with heavy drinking (weekly binge drinking) late last year, and took January off from drinking. I lost like 15 pounds and I feel ten times better. More energy, more positive, better sex drive, everything was better. I still do drink, and enjoy the hell out of it, but I am careful to do so in moderation. For example, instead of downing a 12-pack of beer in one sitting, I have a couple glasses of nice scotch or cognac. I find I enjoy it much more and don't get wasted in the process.

BATTLETIME

Reaction score
Just an update. Today im on Day 5 finished with Propecia. I have had bad Depression & Anxiety the last few days & last night went to the Doctor. I took Lexotan to chill me out & today got a prescription for Lexopro as the Depression is the worst ive ever had. I need to get my head together so i can get back to work. Now im aware that this maybe a result of what happened since i quit drinking on Saturday. To speak frankly i cracked one out last night & this morning & they were quite good & i had a morning erection & erotic thoughts no bother this morning. I dont feel my blood boiling or any sense of serious aggression either, dont know if thats supposed to happen either. My latest worry though is that i hated the Brain fog on Propecia & the depression after taking it & am now wondering if what im going through is PFS thats affecting the brain? Will i be suffering an eternal brain fog or depression even though im done with Propecia? Any thoughts all welcomed.

Ende

Reaction score
According to Merck, everything should be normal within 2 weeks after stopping the treatment.

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies Guys. Have you all quit finasteride at some stage??
Yeah the thing is i dont know whats causing what. Also i went on a Booze bender on Friday & the hangover yesterday nearly caused me to breakdown. I had 3 "recovery" drinks yesterday & later last night i almost lost it. Its carried over to today. I cycled earlier on & felt better momentarily. Spent too long today browsing the Net looking at PFS stories & it set me off no matter how calm i tried to be reading them Would really love to be able to enjoy the Superbowl tonight but i dont think i will. Just feel so wound up & depressed in side, i feel awful.
Keep the replies coming lads & dont be afraid to ask any more questions.
Can I ask what your brain fog symptoms were and did they go away?