How should I best prepare for finasteride?

KromeDome

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've taken 0.25 twice now EOD, both times after taking I've had a some testicular discomfort and since then I've not even been remotely horny about anything, also not waking up with any morning wood which I usually do, Not sure if some of this is in my head as the dosage i've taken is so low but this isn't a good start.

Doingitright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've taken 0.25 twice now EOD, both times after taking I've had a some testicular discomfort and since then I've not even been remotely horny about anything, also not waking up with any morning wood which I usually do, Not sure if some of this is in my head as the dosage i've taken is so low but this isn't a good start.
I just powered through it for a few months, the sides disappeared for me around month 2 I put it down to hormones balancing.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread is very weird. Just take it and think about something else.

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread is very weird. Just take it and think about something else.
Naw let him start off at micro-doses.

I mean how's this weird but it's perfectly normal to have nearly 800 pages of repetitive experimenting of the already well-explored "nuclear route"? Over there you get the most random bypassers dropping in to start the strongest drugs without even trying all the safe stuff first, sometimes even teenagers lol who are then just as well encouraged on it, let alone talked down or advised to try safe sh*t first, so... talk about weird.

Not an assault just wanted to point out that that little segment of the board is no less weird sometimes. I'm all for a healthy discourse of existing treatments and sharing personal stories etc but all the safest options should be tried first and none of this even considered under 20 which is sadly far from the reality of that thread plus it's just an opinion.

Zappian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm you should've done before taking anything. Even a low dose has a massive impact.

But quit taking anything for atleast a month and do some bloodwork to know your hormone levels.

If you ever get sides or PFS, this could help.
This is false . If you take ONE 0.25 mg dose it will be out of your system in one day.

Finasteride stays on your system for a very short time. So this applies for effect and sides . if you stop taking it the hormonal levels go back to level fast BUT you will also start losing hair again.

I am on 1mg daily and i have zero sides .

KromeDome

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is false . If you take ONE 0.25 mg dose it will be out of your system in one day.

Finasteride stays on your system for a very short time. So this applies for effect and sides . if you stop taking it the hormonal levels go back to level fast BUT you will also start losing hair again.

So it'll be okay to have a blood test then? I'll just do it before I take the 0.25 dose which means the finasteride will be out of my system for over 24 hours?

INT

Reaction score

Yes and no. Finasteride will be out of your blood within a da, but it's effect on 5 AR will stay for a couple of days.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is the first line treatment against hair loss,

BUT it's true that you disturb your endocrine system. You are a xy and literally 'remove' 50-70% of your strongest androgenic male sex hormone. What do you expect!? Lol

However, some individuals, like me, would risk that in order to have hair. Finasteride is a small price to pay when you compare it to the other (heavy) drugs.

MrKmass

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, you really don't know what you're talking about, it's not that simple. Finasteride disturbs the endocrine system, it takes weeks before there's good hormonal homeostasis again. Even a small dose of 0.25mg has a strong impact. For example there's almost no difference between taking 1mg and 100mg of fina, the impact on DHT is almost the same.

The point is OP should take some bloodwork to check his base hormonal profile in the case something goes wrong in the future, remember finasteride has an effect on a lot of processes in the body. Everyone should do this before starting fina, duta,... imo.

Btw, this is what FDA recommends when you want to give blood and are taking fina:

The FDA recommends that blood donors taking finasteride be deferred for 1 month
What do you think of finasteride at a microdosing of 0.03. Always the same crap or is it better for a long run?

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you think of finasteride at a microdosing of 0.03. Always the same crap or is it better for a long run?
Just lol. The minimum "effective" dose would be 0,25mg imo. But better start with 0,5mg.

MrKmass

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just lol. The minimum "effective" dose would be 0,25mg imo. But better start with 0,5mg.

Watch a lot of people microdosing on reddit! There have been clinical trials that show that 0.05 over a long period lowers serum dht by 49% while 1 mg decreases to 70% Low 0.01 lowers 14%, assume 0.03 is a sweet spot

Sadly too low dose. Btw, there are other alternatives.

Look around on the forums. For example topical duta.

@Pls_NW-1 I understand you completely. Sadly I didn't know (or ignored) what profound effects finasteride has on the body.
Topical duta may be dangerous in the long term, may duta accumulate in the blood?

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Watch a lot of people microdosing on reddit! There have been clinical trials that show that 0.05 over a long period lowers serum dht by 49% while 1 mg decreases to 70% Low 0.01 lowers 14%, assume 0.03 is a sweet spot

Topical duta may be dangerous in the long term, may duta accumulate in the blood?
Do you know anything about 1,25mg finasteride and 1mg Dutasteride.

Currently taking the 1,25mg finasteride, but might up to 1mg Dutasteride in a few months, if I can't see a halt.

I will anyways extend my regimen a bit more in the coming weeks/months.

MrKmass

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you know anything about 1,25mg finasteride and 1mg Dutasteride.

Currently taking the 1,25mg finasteride, but might up to 1mg Dutasteride in a few months, if I can't see a halt.

I will anyways extend my regimen a bit more in the coming weeks/months.
No sorry I don't know anything about it.
There's a thread here about topical duta, best to read that thread. Some guys who had side effects from oral and topical fina, don't have sides from topcial duta.

I read it but these are just anecdotal experiences, we have no clinical trials or long term safety...

Zappian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is the first line treatment against hair loss,

BUT it's true that you disturb your endocrine system. You are a xy and literally 'remove' 50-70% of your strongest androgenic male sex hormone. What do you expect!? Lol

However, some individuals, like me, would risk that in order to have hair. Finasteride is a small price to pay when you compare it to the other (heavy) drugs.
Even then the % of people that develop side effects is fairly low . And we have reports of long term users that have been on finasteride for 20 years with low side effect profile.

It doesnt block DHT directly . It just blocks partially the conversion of test to dht

There is not really any scientific non anedoctal evidence that finasteride has permanent non reversible side effects . Normal Hormonal function will return eventually after discontinuation .

Last edited:

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah nvm yall this is really kinda dragging on now haha. Tbh it's best to build up your doses and stop at your threshold. No reason to make it any more complicated.