How should I best prepare for finasteride?

KromeDome

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will be starting finasteride in the next few days, can anyone tell me what I should change about my lifestyle going into it? are there certain supplements I should take? Exercises, diet changes ect?

KromeDome

My Regimen
Reaction score
Should probably mention I take Zinc, L-argine, Sunflower lecithin, Magnesium and Vitamin D, I don't take this for hair loss reasons though.

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Be sure you work your way up with dosing to avoid hormonal fluctuations and to best learn just how much your body can take. Other than that, a generally healthy lifestyle of average to decent diet, minimal exercise when possible, should do it in most cases.

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So when I start I should take maybe 0.5 mg or?
Or even 0.25 if you have to. Just slowly make sure you can handle that, then 0.5 then 1mg. Your body is much better off gradually getting accustomed to the treatment as opposed to jumping on 1mg right away. Too sudden of an exposure could potentially subject you to side-effects.
I would advise you give a month or two to 0.25 then increase it to 0.5mg and give that another month or two then finally 1mg and in the meantime you keep all your fingers crossed that your body reacts calmly.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Listen good to @FromHairy2LarryDavid
Month 1 - 0.25 eod
Month 2 - 0.25 ed
From here asses your hair situation. Increased/decreased shedding. Both are good. Stay at 0.25 if either happen. If nothing happens make month three 0.5mg.

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly like @Jeju said!

I believe a lot of ppl potentially give themselves sides by starting too high too suddenly so you've got an advantage of knowing better.
An equally important note is that you should NOT fear any initial shed, or even seeing one several months into treatment. It will eventually stabilize. I'd been on 0.5mg EOD for two years until I recently switched to 1.25 ED and guess what? Shedding. Your hormones being kicked into fluctuation will always cause telogen effluvium.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
If you are fat, start losing weight. Start weight training ideally twice a week, if you can't access a gym buy a pull-up bar and start doing sets combined with pushups. Start eating healthy. Get strong enough so that you can do at least 10 pull-ups and 30 pushups in a row.

Make sure you go running at least once a week to keep your circulation good.

KromeDome

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly like @Jeju said!

If you can chop it up into 0.25 then start off with that at an EOD frequency, just to be sure. A month or two later if your body is fine, increase it to 0.25 ED for another month or two then 0.5mg ED for another while and eventually you can carefully begin 1mg ED (or 1.25 depending on the pill).
I'd advise against going back to EOD once you've started ED, at any dosage unless you were to really need it. For example already meeting your threshold at 0.5 ED then I guess you could experiment a little with EOD or even MWF frequency. Find out however much you can tolerate and if you value your hair, keep taking it. Even 0.25 MWF is better than nothing.

I believe a lot of folks potentially give themselves sides by starting too high too suddenly so you've got an advantage of knowing better.
An equally important note is that you should NOT fear any initial shed, or even seeing one several months into treatment. It will eventually stabilize. I'd been on 0.5mg EOD for two years, recently switched to 1.25 ED and guess what? Shedding. Your hormones being kicked into fluctuation will always cause telogen effluvium.

Keep us posted.
Hey man you seem to know a lot, my finasteride also came with minoxidil spray, It says apply twice a day 6 pumps, if I'm starting 0.25, should I also lower my minoxidil spraying?

Doingitright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started EOD 0.5, did this for 3-4 months before bumping up to ED then eventually 1mg ED, I think its good to start this way but make sure its convenient as you could get sloppy and hinder results.

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man you seem to know a lot, my finasteride also came with minoxidil spray, It says apply twice a day 6 pumps, if I'm starting 0.25, should I also lower my minoxidil spraying?
haha thanks but I'm strictly just reporting my own experiements and sharing common sense, none of which will I take any credit for..

Depending on your hair loss situation, I would consider just finasteride alone at first. Especially if you were a norwood ~2 or so. For all you know it just might provide the stability (or perhaps even VERY slight regrowth) you need. minoxidil is great for regrowth but its efficacy will wear off over time and you will only be able to maintain what it regrew for you. Oh and let's not forget - were you to stop it at any point, you will lose any hair it ever grew you...immediately. Keep that in mind before committing yourself to 2x a day treatment on it. Even lowering your dosage from twice to once a day can shake your ground. Hell I've even read of people losing minoxidil hairs to simply switching brands so really, weigh the pros and cons carefully beforehand.

If you're going to use minoxidil anyway you don't have to lower your dosages. It's relatively safe to use compared to finasteride. Though some people do experience cardiovascular side effects, baggy eyes, accelerated skin aging etc but try not to overthink those.

Lastly if you're really committed about minoxidil - for all things holy, please use a microneedling device alongside it. For example a dermaroller/dermapen once a week. It will damn near double your results by enhancing absorption in the scalp tissue and it's beneficial for your skin as well. Start at a lower (0.5) mm needle length then work your way up to 1.5 mm.

Best of luck.

DrHerway

My Regimen
Reaction score
haha thanks but I'm strictly just reporting my own experiements and sharing common sense, none of which will I take any credit for..

Depending on your hair loss situation, I would consider just finasteride alone at first. Especially if you were a norwood ~2 or so. For all you know it just might provide the stability (or perhaps even VERY slight regrowth) you need. minoxidil is great for regrowth but its efficacy will wear off over time and you will only be able to maintain what it regrew for you. Oh and let's not forget - were you to stop it at any point, you will lose any hair it ever grew you...immediately. Keep that in mind before committing yourself to 2x a day treatment on it. Even lowering your dosage from twice to once a day can shake your ground. Hell I've even read of people losing minoxidil hairs to simply switching brands so really, weigh the pros and cons carefully beforehand.

If you're going to use minoxidil anyway you don't have to lower your dosages. It's relatively safe to use compared to finasteride. Though some people do experience cardiovascular side effects, baggy eyes, accelerated skin aging etc but try not to overthink those.

Lastly if you're really committed about minoxidil - for all things holy, please use a microneedling device alongside it. For example a dermaroller/dermapen once a week. It will damn near double your results by enhancing absorption in the scalp tissue and it's beneficial for your skin as well. Start at a lower (0.5) mm needle length then work your way up to 1.5 mm.

Best of luck.
I agree that finasteride alone at first is a good way to go. Compliance is the name of the game in successfully treating hair loss and patients are much more compliant with finaateride than with minoxidil. Seeing how you do with finadteride first can make your decision on what to do about minoxidil and how committed you are going to be to it much easier.

Dakuwaqa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just take it and don’t worry. I’ve been on it 3 years now and it hasn’t done anything to me other than keep my hair. I’m glad you’re doing it.