How short on a hair system can you go on top?

irishdub

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to establish if I set out on a hair system journey can I manage it myself.

I want a simple short hair style, trying to keep it as simple as possible without having to use a pair of scissors.

I want to try just use a clippers.
I have read on this & other fora that generally on top 1/2 to 1 inch is shortest you could go.

A home clipper hair set generally has blades 1 to 8
#8 giving you a one inch length

Video below is a mannequin and the first clip is blade #5 so could the experienced folk on here tell me if they think a #8 would work on a system and if so, what would be the best system to use?

Thanks

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
A hair system won't react to clippers as a mannequin does. I tried it, the results were... horrible.

Here is an example of the shortest I have seen.

You will notice the hair tends to lie flat.

I would not go shorter than that.

irishdub

Established Member
Reaction score
A hair system won't react to clippers as a mannequin does. I tried it, the results were... horrible.

Here is an example of the shortest I have seen.

You will notice the hair tends to lie flat.

I would not go shorter than that.

First of all thanks very much for the reply and that video is the best example of a short cut look I have ever seen.

Secondly can I ask you as you seem very experienced Baldbearded from reading this forum, if I understand you right on the clippers aspect.

If you had two people with an out of the box hair system and one you cut their hair down to one inch with a scissors and the other you could their hair down to one inch but with a clipper blade, would they not produce the same result?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all thanks very much for the reply and that video is the best example of a short cut look I have ever seen.

Secondly can I ask you as you seem very experienced Baldbearded from reading this forum, if I understand you right on the clippers aspect.

If you had two people with an out of the box hair system and one you cut their hair down to one inch with a scissors and the other you could their hair down to one inch but with a clipper blade, would they not produce the same result?
Hi, and. thanks.

No, scissors and clippers cut much differently and will give a totally different look.