How Safe Is Minoxidil By Itself? Are The Side Effects Permanent?

Fredie2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using Minoxidil for over 35 years. I missed maybe 3 or 4 days in all those years. I started when I was about 21. As soon as I saw thinning, I jumped on it and this is when Rogaine first came out.

The only side effects that I can tell:
1. I do have bags under my eyes and darker spots. I am not sure if it is minoxidil.
2. I think after all these years my scalp cannot take the propylene glycol. It causes bad breakouts. More so in Florida and less so in Colorado. I have to go to foam or a non PG liquid minoxidil. I am checking non-PG liquid versions because the foam does not appear to be working as well. The thing that heals the breakouts best appears to be garlic, onion, apple cider vinegar and tiny amount of olive oil blended. This is also supposedly a hair growth mix but I am not sure it works.
3. I look a bit younger than others my age.

Heart problems? None but I try to stick with chicken, turkey and fish which has helped keep my blood pressure normal. I exercise and go to the gym. I do the vitamins, biotin, etc.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using Minoxidil for over 35 years. I missed maybe 3 or 4 days in all those years. I started when I was about 21. As soon as I saw thinning, I jumped on it and this is when Rogaine first came out.

The only side effects that I can tell:
1. I do have bags under my eyes and darker spots. I am not sure if it is minoxidil.
2. I think after all these years my scalp cannot take the propylene glycol. It causes bad breakouts. More so in Florida and less so in Colorado. I have to go to foam or a non PG liquid minoxidil. I am checking non-PG liquid versions because the foam does not appear to be working as well. The thing that heals the breakouts best appears to be garlic, onion, apple cider vinegar and tiny amount of olive oil blended. This is also supposedly a hair growth mix but I am not sure it works.
3. I look a bit younger than others my age.

Heart problems? None but I try to stick with chicken, turkey and fish which has helped keep my blood pressure normal. I exercise and go to the gym. I do the vitamins, biotin, etc.

35 years!!!? How is the hair compared to baseline? I’m 26 months in without finasteride and I’m still way above baseline. I would kill for 35 years

Fredie2

My Regimen
Reaction score
35 years!!!? How is the hair compared to baseline? I’m 26 months in without finasteride and I’m still way above baseline. I would kill for 35 years

It is good.
I had very good discipline and put it on every night and hardly ever during the day. I missed maybe 3 or 4 days in 35+ years!

I may try to post a picture. I started early around 21 because I was just seeing slight thinning at hairline. Just started derma rolling for the edges at the front. Go look for Stephen's onions,garlic and apple cider vinegar video where it has all worked and he is showing his impressive hairline. this is what mine looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stephen+garlic+onions+hair

I could almost be his brother but I am not Scottish. LOL! I think his hairline has receded a bit more than mine. Please note I am not pimping his videos.
He mentions Nizoral and a few things but he appears not to be selling anything or providing links to buy.
I am trying his mix based on his instructions. It seems to dye the hair back to natural color and reduce gray which is cool.

FYI on circles and bags under eyes. Go to GNC and for $1.99 get the Vitamin C crème (2 oz). Vitamin Shoppe has similar 2 oz for $2.99. Both come in small cold crème like jar. It is the best $2 you will ever spend.
Vitamin Shoppe has less hard sell sales people than GNC.

Wal Mart had 4 oz of vitamin E crème for about $4.99 but Vitamin C crème seems better. Please note that I had circles under my eyes when I was a kid pre minoxidil and bags may be more from age.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
you apply it to whole head for 35 years?
no hypertrichosis or dark circle because of it ?

Fredie2

My Regimen
Reaction score
you apply it to whole head for 35 years?
no hypertrichosis or dark circle because of it ?

1. I put it on at night more towards the front forehead hairline and from laying down, going to sleep, it would also move to the back but not the whole head. oddly, for all those years I did not message it in or use a derma roller which I just started trying.
2. No. The crown or back or vertex (?) would have faster growth because minoxidil is more effective back there. No additional or freak growth.
3. Dark circles under the eyes? Yes but I may have had that even when I was a kid. Cheap Vitamin C crème $1.99 at GNC or $2.99 at Vitamin Shoppe helps with circles under eyes. One guy on the youtube, Aussie, said there is a detox for circles under the eyes. I forget what he said it was. Maybe lead or amalgam from fillings??? I forget.

There is no free lunch. Minoxidil is still probably the best easy to use thing to keep your hair. Nothing is perfect and there are tradeoffs.
The guys who cannot do it everyday will fail. The guys who do not start early when they have hair will have a long road. The back or crown or vertex generally comes back in most cases with minoxidil. The front is much harder and you probably will need a transplant or something if it is gone.

I was very proactive when I was young and minoxidil or Rogaine just came out and you were paying at least $30 a bottle. I could get 2 months out because I just did it at night.

NamelessGhoul

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
fredie, if you don't mind me asking, how many ML's pernight do you use of minoxidil? and what brand?

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. I put it on at night more towards the front forehead hairline and from laying down, going to sleep, it would also move to the back but not the whole head. oddly, for all those years I did not message it in or use a derma roller which I just started trying.
2. No. The crown or back or vertex (?) would have faster growth because minoxidil is more effective back there. No additional or freak growth.
3. Dark circles under the eyes? Yes but I may have had that even when I was a kid. Cheap Vitamin C crème $1.99 at GNC or $2.99 at Vitamin Shoppe helps with circles under eyes. One guy on the youtube, Aussie, said there is a detox for circles under the eyes. I forget what he said it was. Maybe lead or amalgam from fillings??? I forget.

There is no free lunch. Minoxidil is still probably the best easy to use thing to keep your hair. Nothing is perfect and there are tradeoffs.
The guys who cannot do it everyday will fail. The guys who do not start early when they have hair will have a long road. The back or crown or vertex generally comes back in most cases with minoxidil. The front is much harder and you probably will need a transplant or something if it is gone.

I was very proactive when I was young and minoxidil or Rogaine just came out and you were paying at least $30 a bottle. I could get 2 months out because I just did it at night.

Incredible anecdotal evidence of the power of minoxidil! Gives me hope