How safe is low dose oral minoxidil?

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Say, 1mg or 2mg each day. Would a dose that low be considered safe? I know some hair loss sufferers take oral minoxidil at higher doses like 10mg, which to me seems very risky. Would 1mg be safe?

Thank you.

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1mg or 2mg is safe, but most likely wont get much thickning

consider 5mg and buying a digital tensiometer to monitor

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How about 3mg? Would that dosage be low enough to be safe but also high enough to be effective?

Are there any other serious side-effects to watch out for other than increased blood pressure?

massa

Banned
Reaction score
If you're worried just take 5mg, that's still a really low dose and definitely wouldn't cause sides unless you were really unhealthy to begin with. Sides include fluid retention and fast loud heartbeat. Loniten actually lowers blood pressure not increases it. Personally i haven't noticed these sides and i take 20mg a day. When Loniten was on the market for blood pressure back in the 80's it was administered at 50mg or 100mg so 5mg is a low dose. But of course this is just my opinion and if your worried about taking it then seeing a doctor may help you more .

aldo5408

Reaction score
If you're worried just take 5mg, that's still a really low dose and definitely wouldn't cause sides unless you were really unhealthy to begin with. Sides include fluid retention and fast loud heartbeat. Loniten actually lowers blood pressure not increases it. Personally i haven't noticed these sides and i take 20mg a day. When Loniten was on the market for blood pressure back in the 80's it was administered at 50mg or 100mg so 5mg is a low dose. But of course this is just my opinion and if your worried about taking it then seeing a doctor may help you more .

is oral minoxidil as effective or even more so than liquid minoxidil?

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1 to 2 mg probably goes systemic when you apply 5% minoxidil topically anyhow, so it should be fine

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

I'll go with 5mg once a day. I just bought a bottle of Kirkland minoxidil 5%. I intend to "drink" it orally from solution rather than use Loniten tablets, as it is WAY cheaper. Is it safe to do this?

Is anybody able to tell me how much (in ml) of the 5% solution makes up a 5mg dose? Thank you.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

I'll go with 5mg once a day. I just bought a bottle of Kirkland minoxidil 5%. I intend to "drink" it orally from solution rather than use Loniten tablets, as it is WAY cheaper. Is it safe to do this?

Is anybody able to tell me how much (in ml) of the 5% solution makes up a 5mg dose? Thank you.
I threw up a little while reading this. There is 5g of minoxidil for 100ml of minoxidil 5%, so you'd have to divide the content of a 100ml bottle by 1000 to ingest 5mg a day. That's a bit tricky.

massa

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't drink it and if you drank 1ml it would be 50 mg of minoxidil not 5 mg. plus you would be stomaching pg ethanol retinol all kinds of dangerous additives , it would be easy to get the pills. They are quite cheap at qhi.co.uk

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, I'll get the pills then instead. I'm still a little worried about the potential side-effects, but I've decided I'm gonna risk it.

forestlawn

Banned
Reaction score
This will spread throught all your blood and will cause unwanted hair growth, be warned

Dennis Garber

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't drink it and if you drank 1ml it would be 50 mg of minoxidil not 5 mg. plus you would be stomaching pg ethanol retinol all kinds of dangerous additives , it would be easy to get the pills. They are quite cheap at qhi.co.uk

How hard is it to visually divide 1 ml into 5 parts? Not hard. That would be a 5mg dose, assuming 5 grams in one 100 ml bottle. ...

Ethanol has a j curve for morbitity. 1/10th of ml ethanol is insignificant. Also, there is such a thing as hormesis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis.

The acute oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low.
Serious toxicity generally occurs at plasma concentrations over 4 g/L, which requires extremely high intake over a relatively short period of time, or when used as a vehicle for drugs or vitamins given intravenously or orally.[25] It would be nearly impossible to reach toxic levels by consuming foods or supplements, which contain at most 1 g/kg of PG, except for alcoholic beverages which are allowed 5 percent = 50g/kg.[26] Cases of propylene glycol poisoning are usually related to either inappropriate intravenous administration or accidental ingestion of large quantities by children.[27...
The potential for long-term oral toxicity is also low. In one study, in 1972, 12 rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG over a period of 2 years, and showed no apparent ill effects; no data on offspring were offered.[28]Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol was classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive, including frozen foods such as ice cream andfrozen desserts.[26][29]

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topicsl has to be better, because it directly targets the follicle. My hair on top grows faster than my neck hair. That say's something. Using finasteride and minoxidil beats using just one, for most guys.

Dennis Garber

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is not safe. Your heart will suffer

http://www.drugs.com/pro/loniten.html does have scary heart effects. But if you read deeper, these lesions were not progressive and were typical of vasodialators. Also, these dogs had dosage, equivalent to full human. No word on dog weights. These could be 30 lb dogs. A human is many times larger.

Would need to read more to figure out effects on the living dog.... Long term might go away or get critical.

Were I on the edge genetically and chronologically, I would not risk oral rogaine.

At any rate, this information needs a greater explanation. Merely talking about the heart probably creeps most of us out.